Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sougatadc

RIMweb compatibility with Opera Mini

So, is it an OS problem (Symbian vs Windows)?

@ Arun,

1. Mobile View is activated ever since I started using Opera Mini - right from my 6265 days to my current Palm Treo 800W.

2. I am able to view only 5 posts on Opera Mini and not 15 posts with all settings as advised by you.

3. I am not using Mobile skin as I do not like to toggle the skin every time I change my devices...And in CleanCut skin which I have enabled, I get the add reply and the fast reply options, but then replying is not possible. It is somewhat similar to what sougata experiences except that I did not face the log-in and log-out problem so far. In fact I have stopped trying it out because replying is not smooth and refined from a mobile using CleanCut skin or the IP.Board skin.

@ sougata,

How to take screenshots on a WM?

@ Arun,  

Did you reply using the Mobile skin?  Try to reply with the CleanCut skin.I am asking you to do this because the add reply and the fast reply options are shown even in CleanCut skin. Try it out.

One more problem I have come across some days back - The RSS feeds button does not show in my Opera Mini at all. It is on the top right hand corner when viewed from my laptop or desktop. But when I view it through Opera Mini, I can only see the Forum Guidelines and the View New Content links.

Edited by KumaarShah

@ Arun,

1. Mobile View is activated ever since I started using Opera Mini - right from my 6265 days to my current Palm Treo 800W.

It seems the page will load according to the skin selected for the account only as I have checked it now. So you have to change it using the drop down.

2. I am able to view only 5 posts on Opera Mini and not 15 posts with all settings as advised by you.

I notice it will show 5 posts only for Opera Mini. So it must be an optimized Mobile Skin for Opera Mini. The Mobile Skin will show 15 posts per page for a normal mobile browser like an Android browser.

3. I am not using Mobile skin as I do not like to toggle the skin every time I change my devices...And in CleanCut skin which I have enabled, I get the add reply and the fast reply options, but then replying is not possible. It is somewhat similar to what sougata experiences except that I did not face the log-in and log-out problem so far. In fact I have stopped trying it out because replying is not smooth and refined from a mobile using CleanCut skin or the IP.Board skin.

The default/cleancut skin is not meant for mobile browsers, so even if it loads there could be issues. The Mobile skin was developed with mobile browsers in mind. They have distinguished between normal (default) and mobile skin so that each would serve its purpose for which they were developed.

@ Arun,  By using the Mobile View setting, Opera Mini cannot be forced to use the mobile skin of RW, AFAIK. Correct me if wrong.

EDIT: This has been replied in the previous post, so please ignore my post. If necessary, please delete.

Edited by KumaarShah

:previous: Correct, see previous reply.

@ sougata,

How to take screenshots on a WM?

With MyMobiler software. Save the screenshot with the fourth from right icon on the menu.

Actually I see 15 posts itself in a page. Can I reset your password and login to your account to check it to see if it is anything related to your account?

@ Arun,

Pl reset my pw. no problems.

this reply is from add reply. fast reply did not work.

maybe because the page is blank at the bottom and one cannot know which radio button is where.

@ Arun,

Pl reset my pw. no problems.

this reply is from add reply. fast reply did not work. had to post twice for the post to show.

maybe because the page is blank at the bottom and one cannot know which radio button is where.

@ sougata,

thanks for mymobiler. shall try and post some ss as well.

@ Arun,

Did you check my account?

OT,

I am not able to use the emoticons when using CleanCut theme in my laptop. I changed the theme to IP.Board and the emoticons started working.:confuse:

even i am facing issues in "CleanCut" theme.. everytime am getting "error on page" message after complete loading of page, wherein "IP.Board" theme works fine.. I'm using IE 8.0 with all the necessary updates till date..

I have temporarily disabled CleanCut skins due to the issues and will be enabled when a new version is available. Since it is a third party skin the developers cannot fix issues until the third party developer releases a new version with the bug fixes.

@ Arun,

Did you check my account?

Not yet, but I wanted to check if you were seeing 5 posts per page on Opera Mini for CleanCut skin or default skin?

:previous:

Only when I use the IP.Board Mobile skin, I see only 5 posts on my mobile in a topic.

:previous: I have logged in to your account using Opera Mini 5.1.21214 on Nokia N82 with IP.Board Mobile skin and I see 40 posts in a single page for a topic and definitely not 5. This is because you have changed the default option in My Settings > Forums > Board Preferences. You have set 40 there and so I was able see all (38 I think) posts in this topic as a single page in Opera Mini. Are you logged in when you are checking it? Do you see the Reply option?

P.S.: I hope have received the password reset email now.

:previous:

Yes, I have received the email and also accepted the password reset.

But even I have enabled the number of posts from the default 20 to 40, why do I see only 5 in mobile skin? Why not all the 20 or 40? I have not checked from my mobile as yet because the password was not reset by me till now. I will do it later and then re-post here my experience. Please wait for my next post here.

:signthankspin:

But the Opera Mini issues are yet to be resolved.

I've got used to the problem. Partial blank pages of this forum on Opera Mini. After zooming in, refreshing the page removes the blankness. This process is required to be repeated whenever a new page (of course of this forum only) is visited.

Edited by sougatadc

i am replying this through Opera Mini. I never had to refresh any page when browsing.

Screenshot from Opera Mini

post-1-0-96293800-1290354233_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-96237900-1290354234_thumb.jpg

From what you are saying I think you are using the "IP.Board" skin and not "IP.Board Mobile" skin. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and make sure that you see "IP.Board Mobile" just like in the screenshot above.

I pointed out in the thread I initiated on the Opera Mini issue that with all the skins I had problem. But now mobile skin is working well. I think there was compatibility problem with Windows Mobile. Kumar Shah was also facing problem with Windows Mobile, while you were not.

But I wonder why there are issues with our forum, while any other website opens perfectly on Opera Mini. The websites, which automatically sets into mobile view (by identifying the IP of mobile) also open without any issues when I select classic/full view (e.g. google, IBN live, CNN etc.)

Also it never failed to open popular forum xda-developers.com on full view (it doesn't have any mobile skin - only XDA 2010 or XDA Classic styles are available, both open on opera mini flawlessly)

This is why I raised the issue of compatibility of opera mini for our forum.

Anyways, I'll now use it on mobile skin.

As I already mentioned earlier in this topic, you have to use the "IP.Board Mobile" skin if you want to browse the pages without any issues on a mobile browser like Opera Mini. If the default skin works with full functionality with a mobile browser like Opera Mini then why should the developers decide to develop a mobile skin? The default skin cannot work fully functional in a mobile browser like Opera Mini due to the complex code it has for supporting the advanced features which will work with full functionality on a PC browser (or even a better mobile browser like Android browser, etc.). The solution to the issue for the default browser not fully functional on a mobile browser like Opera Mini, is the mobile skin. We use "IP.Board" from "Invision Power Services" and this how they have developed and expect the mobile skin is expected to work on "IP.Board 3.x" which is used in thousands of forums (and not at RIMweb alone). If you still want to use the default skin with Opera Mini then you can but with adjustments as you said, but this cannot be reported as a bug to the developers because they already have a solution to it and that is to use the mobile skin for Opera Mini.

Arun Ji, I was trying to point out that the websites which have options for mobile view (in addition to standard/classic/full) also open without any problem in full or classic view on Opera Mini. Most of these websites open in mobile view by default when browsed from mobile (their server identifies the IP as that of a mobile and sends pages for mobile only), but when those pages are viewed in classic/full view, those can be viewed fully also. Here, it is not the case in our forum.

I've tested it by opening many forum pages based on most popular forum softwares like vBulletin, Vanilla, SMF, MyBB, phpBB, Phorum, FUDforum etc but never faced this problem.

I understand, IP.Board has provided a mobile view skin, hence they will not recognize it as a bug. Still it remains a question why those websites with mobile view option are opening flawlessly on opera mini when I open them in classic or full view option. Whereas our forum fails.

Anyway, I'll go on using our forum on mobile skin; or by refreshing parts of pages on standard skin.

No, there are thousands of websites that will not be fully compatible with Opera Mini that I can show you, which is due to the complex coding that Opera Mini won't render properly. They can be only viewed partially or with issues.

Anyway, I'll go on using our forum on mobile skin; or by refreshing parts of pages on standard skin.

Yes, that is the way to go. End of story.