Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
tarun_kabra

Blackberry Pearl Flip 8230 CDMA - Review

Dear All,

So I got my very first official Reliance CDMA Blackberry the BB Pearl Flip 8230, all thanks to Rajan ji for finding this great deal on Futture Bazar.

I am not a good reviewer neither this old model of BB needs any review as of now. You can find a whole lot of reviews at Cnet, Phonearena, Mobilemag and so on.

Except if you talk about Wifi, overall its a very good phone specially keeping the price factor (Just Rs. 7,990/-) (I got it in Rs. 7,555/-, thanks to commonman for posting the link for Discount code) in mind for an official EVDO capable RCDMA Blackberry Handest. Earlier Reliance was selling it at 14K+.

At first when I opened the parcel from future bazar and saw the box, there was a doubt in mind, IS IT OFFICIAL RELIANCE? As there was no mention for the same on the box.

It was a generic BB Box without any mention of carrier. Please see the photos:

post-24797-0-32937900-1290084127_thumb.j post-24797-0-01231100-1290084239_thumb.j post-24797-0-67898600-1290084240_thumb.j

Shows that imported by some Macronet Private Limited, Mumbai. (May be someone like Sadikk bhai, importing directly from RIM).

However after the phone was switched on, that doubt was cleared a little bit at start up and the rest doubt was cleared after dialing *228.

A few pictures of the phone:-

post-24797-0-63940000-1290084380_thumb.j post-24797-0-27318000-1290084382_thumb.j post-24797-0-81525500-1290084383_thumb.j

post-24797-0-32966400-1290084385_thumb.j post-24797-0-35462700-1290084456_thumb.j post-24797-0-67324800-1290084799_thumb.j

post-24797-0-66453500-1290084801_thumb.j post-24797-0-78457600-1290084804_thumb.j post-24797-0-29132800-1290084803_thumb.j

It includes Micro USB Charger with 4 enhancements same as comes with Storm world edition, 1GB Micro USB Card, 3.5mm Handsfree, Micro USB data cable.

post-24797-0-61416100-1290084620_thumb.j

At one moment it shown the 1xev signal and thereafter 1x signal. I had not yet transferred my RCDMA number on this. That I will do tonight with HCC & *228.

Only two things will take time, i.e. BIS & EVDO, at the end of Web World / CC. I will update the same in future.

For all those who are looking for a BB device for their Reliance CDMA number with EVDO & BIS, this is the best option (of course till the stocks last with future bazar)

Edited by tarun_kabra

Something strike in my mind, can it be a refurbished handset? If yes, how do we know this?

i dont think it would be a refurbished one

even if its refurbished u are getting 1yr warranty with it.

But u got this at a vert very good price

Shows that imported by some Macronet Private Limited, Mumbai. (May be someone like Sadikk bhai, importing directly from RIM).

However after the phone was switched on, that doubt was cleared a little bit at start up and the rest doubt was cleared after dialing *228.

Don't worry mate. Macronet Private Limited was a shell company of Reliance. Later on the name was changed but they could have still imported the handsets in old name. After all it is Reliance.

See Macronet History Here Mukesh took Macronet route to sweet equity in Infocom

• Like 1

Thanks Rajan Bhai for clearing my doubt.

Please note, if any body buying this handset.

You can't transfer your Reliance Number using HCC (*228) on Reliance Official Blackberry Handsets.

For transferring your number on Official BB, you need to visit Reliance Web World.

I didn't knew it and tried the HCC and I am still stuck with it. Don't use HCC, go to webworld for your number on BB.

Sorry for posting it so late.

Its a routine issue with reliance, it supports some and leaves out some...cant help, we will have to deal with this government company..

^^^^ Well ya.. HCC works with its own permutations & combinations..

Few are mentioned below..

1) RUIM to RUIM - Not sure, don't think so

2) Non RUIM to Non RUIM - Done many times by me

3) Non RUIM to RUIM - Done by me

4) RUIM to Non RUIM - May not happen

5) BB to BB - Not tried, but heard it works (BB also is Non-RUIM)

Members, plz confirm the above with your personal experiences..

Please note, if any body buying this handset.

You can't transfer your Reliance Number using HCC (*228) on Reliance Official Blackberry Handsets.

For transferring your number on Official BB, you need to visit Reliance Web World.

I didn't knew it and tried the HCC and I am still stuck with it. Don't use HCC, go to webworld for your number on BB.

Sorry for posting it so late.

My bad, still stuck with the same position. Not able to transfer my RCDMA to BB Pearl Flip.

Even Local R-Web World are helpless, they could not sort out the issue and transfer my number on BB.

Already requested forum member Amitji to look in to the matter. Hope it shall get resolved.

My good, I am on this great forum with great members like @mitj@in

Resolved all my problems within hours, which the dumb web world people couldn't resolve in three working days.

I am so thankful to dear Amit ji for this great help.

My good, I am on this great forum with great members like @mitj@in

Resolved all my problems within hours, which the dumb web world people couldn't resolve in three working days.

I am so thankful to dear Amit ji for this great help.

good one.

^^^^ Well ya.. HCC works with its own permutations & combinations..

1) RUIM to RUIM - Not sure, don't think so

It works Have done it many times, fail rate is 25%

2) Non RUIM to Non RUIM - Done many times by me

ya

3) Non RUIM to RUIM - Done by me

ya

4) RUIM to Non RUIM - May not happen

fail rate 85% sometime it cliks

5) BB to BB - Not tried, but heard it works (BB also is Non-RUIM)

NO not works

for Registered BB best its to reg RSN and manual transfer MIN - works 100%

Ek aur Lafda,

GPS not working on BB Pearl Flip 8230. I keep standing on rooftop for half an hour without any success.

No GPS lock on any application, be it Garmin, GPSed, MG Maps, Google Maps, keep on searching for satellites.

Officially Reliance Website says Pearl Flip GPS-No.

But in options I can select the GPS Data Source as Device GPS. that means the handset is GPS enabled, but not able to get satellite lock.

Has it been locked by the operator, Reliance. If yes, is there any way to unlock it.

Wanted to try the GPSOne option in QPST but than realized that I don't have the SPC of the handset.

So as of now there seems no wayout to use maps on this device.

Amitji is one of great member of rimweb who knows reliace bugs in side out which may not be known to even RIM officials.

Amitji is one of great member of rimweb who knows reliace bugs in side out which may not be known to even RIM officials.