Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ami1

Indian Military Intelligence Already Has Backdoor To RIM, Apple, Nokia Smartphones

(Source: slashdot/zdnet)

It seems RIM, Nokia & Apple have already provided back doors to Indian Military Intelligence for snooping on smartphones and MI has even managed to snoop on various US Govt communications from their Indian Embassy and other representative offices etc.

I am forgetting the name of one of our RIMWEB members who was really really pro govt having power to tap RIM BBES etc without court orders, and i guess he would be really happy to hear this !!

Though its really bad for privacy and citizen's rights and opens up only innocent people to misuse of govt powers, it does make me feel a little happy that at least our MI has some competence to snoop on Uncle Sam.

On the other hand, there's a pdf "posted on the Net" showing the scanned memo about this from MI which really shows our security in a bad light - overseas hackers are able to get their hands on confidential GOI documents. Thankfully some portions are redacted.

Voline writes"In
early this morning, cybersecurity researcher
pointed to an internal memo of India's Military Intelligence that has been liberated by hackers and
. The memo suggests that, "in exchange for the Indian market presence" mobile device manufacturers, including RIM, Nokia, and Apple (collectively defined in the document as "RINOA") have agreed to provide backdoor access on their devices. The Indian government then "utilized backdoors provided by RINOA" to intercept internal emails of the
, a U.S. government body with a mandate to monitor, investigate and report to Congress on 'the national security implications of the bilateral trade and economic relationship' between the U.S. and China. Manan Kakkar, an Indian blogger for ZDNet, has also
and writes that it may be the fruits of an earlier hack of Symantec. If Apple is providing governments with a backdoor to iOS, can we assume that they have also done so with Mac OS X?"
Edited by ami1

I am forgetting the name of one of our RIMWEB members who was really really pro govt having power to tap RIM BBES etc without court orders, and i guess he would be really happy to hear this !!

His name is Kesav.

BTW the speed with indian courts operate, imagine how many years it will take for an intelligence agency to obtain permission to snoop? Even then, courts may never allow such type of intelligence gathering, and it will be known to the whole world in the meantime before agencies can do a thing!!! May not be a very intelligent / smart thing to do in reality strictly seeing it from intelligence agency perspective.

^

Yes, it may take time beyond practical utility of such move.

I read an article on India Today on 50th anniversary of our independence that considering the speed of our judiciary, it will take another 350 years to dispose the pending cases of the apex court and the High courts if no new cases are not lodged!

^^^^

All the judicial permission are required by internal security agencies like CBI and IB, when they are watching indian citizens. When it comes to external intelligence, the military intelligence RAW (SIGNIT) is free to intercept any message. RAW can employ best guys in networking (even hackers are employed) and they have far superior infrastructure.