Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sujit_k

Indian SOS Number 112?

Recently my samsung mobile was without sim and I pressed the SOS button...

And my call got connected to some number which started ringing. Well I disconnected the call because I was not in danger, but I really want to know that is there such a 112 service exist in India like the 911 in the US ?

And where does the call land when we call 112 ?

The same happened with me as well long long back (may be 12-13 Years). I was playing with my Uncle's cell, it was showing SOS since Roaming was not available at that time.

I called emergency number (from Siemens S10 --- 4 Colour) & it rang.. But I disconnected it.. Dont have any idea where did it ring to..

I also once got connected with the emergency number. The one picked up the phone asked me in hindi about some file (in pure sarkari-style) and when I said sorry to him that I got connected by mistake, he said "its okay, I thought you are from a police station".

That was a weird experience as I was not in any emergency situation. :Dudando:

It's not accidental to call this number but by design. It s when there is no network coverage by your preferred operator or your prepaid balance goes below the bare minimum or your handset gets locked and gives you one chance..last.. to get out of any emmergency situation.

Today only my daughter was playing with my locked bb and as per her age ..3 yrs.. she pressed randomly on the touch sensitive screen. As a result a call got connected to emmergency number 112. She talked about a minute or so on the number till i noticed the mistake.

So even if we dont know where it ends, it has to reach some authority which can respond to get us out of the sticky.. like Police Administration.

112 is EU so any GSM phone supports it, 911 is US specific, for India it is 100 but hardly works.

Call on emergency number 112 can even be made while the key lock is active on your mobile. The call lands in the nearest police control room within your present range. This call can be made even if you don't have account balance.

• Like 2