Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxguy

Affordable Unlimited Broadband In Mumbai!

Guys, today I got so frustrated with my ISP that I decided to search for "true" broadband in mumbai. I wasnt sure whether I would find a good one BUT I did find and NOT ONE BUT THREE!!!

1. Net4India - From the info I got, their base price is Rs.300/- and they charge you for the bandwidth that you buy. A 256Kbps connection comes to Rs.1000/- per month.

Downside:

1. DL cap of 10G

Upside:

1. Affordable

2. you get uncapped connection during the night. Meaning, you will get unmetered speed during the night. So you wont be limited by 256Kbps speed!!

Link: http://www.net4india.com/html/bb-home.html

2. Exatt Net - They charge you Rs.720/- for a 256Kbps connection. The connection is VERY cheap if you buy an annual package.

Downside:

1. Limited network in Mumbai.

Upside:

1. VERY Afforable

2. No download limits!!!

Link: http://exatt.net/schemes.htm

3. iGate - I really dunno who these guys are. Actually, I never heard of them but I found their reference on techtree's forums. I understand they operate in South Bombay. I couldnt even find their website. But people have heaps of good things to say about them!

Downside:

1. Very little network in Mumbai.

Link: Unknown

Upside:

1. VERY Affordable

2. No download limits!!

As you can see all these three ISPs have great offerings. I want your reviews. Please contact these ISPs and tell me whether they are ready to negotiate. Is it available in your area. Ask your friends who might be using these ISPs! Dig people dig!!!

:) Am using UNLIMITED Internet (I wont call it Broadband)

DL Speed : min 96kbps

Browsing Speed : min 128kbps

Charges : 550 (incl. taxes)

Provider: FiveNetworks, Mumbai

They have got a pretty large network by now in 3 yrs time!

Quite Satisfied!

Whats the difference between browsing speed and download speed? and BTW I was talking about "broadband" not "hispeed" connections :)

There is frankly no difference, infact its jus a hoax tht these netwala's have created. But i've noticed that when i open the pages of any site, they open at lightening speeds! But when i download anything like an attachment, files, mp3s i notice the Download speed stuck at the predefined values of 7-15kB.

And moreover, we anyways dont have true Broadband in our country. All of these are jus "hi-speed" connections.

Though TRAI says, broadband would be more than 256kbps of connection, i believe its bull-****!

Though i am quite content with my connection. Who would give u something of this at 550 bucks a month ? :)

Chirag did you read my original post carefully? I have found out that these isps provide 256Kbps and upward connections without any download restrictions.

The question isnt really with price with quality of service and claimed speeds vs. actual speeds.

You need someone to actually use these ISPs to know what kind of downtime they have. What is the actual speed during peak/nonpeak hours, service support, etc.

anujit, i already spoke to users of exatt net and they just have good things to say. I know its good because i am an "indirect" user of exatt net. My ISP buys bandwidth from them and I see very little or no downtime. I dont know about the other ISPs....

chirag, the reason i posted about these isps was *none* of the other ISPs provide the same features at the same cost. These isps are giving true broadband... I am paying the same amount for a 64Kbps connection as I would've for a 256Kbps (with the same TOS) from exatt net...

Edited by linuxguy

I understand ur point linuxguy. But the issue is that these ppl dont have huge networks all over the city. Their Overheads are less and hence they provide good connections at cheap rates. Secondly all the biggies (read RIM, MTNL, TATA) affect them largely.

My ISP comes to me every 6-8 months n reduces my tariff himself! :P

Even my ISP claims to be very Big! But that still doesn't make them very big! Anyways, a better place to discuss Mumbai ISPs would be mumbaiforums.com!

I am a exactt net user...

And at the very least im not satisfied..

For 600 bucks month, i get download speeds of 6-7 KBps ?

Thats garbage. Gimme me atleast 1Mbps and i'll be satisfied...

Gimme 2MBps and im happy...

But gimme 7 KBps and im not happy... at all ...

And like chirag says, whats the hell is up with that browsing speed and the actual

download speed ?

When im downloading anything, the download starts at a startling 40KBps and

then falls drastically... and stabalises at 7 kbps ????

What in the name of god is that all about ??? a fall of around even 10 KBps can be

attributed to lag or local network issues..

But an almost 90% drop ?? What do the ISP's think of indian people ??

The snail like speed india is progressing at is simply unaccecptable.

Its like going to the grand prix with a bullock cart...

I think its high time indian ISP's have exploited us...

what do you guys say ?

Whatever happened to reliance broadband by the way ??

That had sounded very promising ...

Edited by iiii_pretender_iiii

pretender, theres an easy solution to this ISP duping thing..

the thing is that ur isp is capping ur d/l speed so if u want to download at high speeds, download using port no 80.

I am a exactt net user...

And at the very least im not satisfied..

For 600 bucks  month, i get download speeds of 6-7 KBps ?

Thats garbage. Gimme me atleast 1Mbps and i'll be satisfied...

Gimme 2MBps and im happy...

But gimme 7 KBps and im not happy... at all ...

And like chirag says, whats the hell is up with that browsing speed and the actual

download speed ?

When im downloading anything, the download starts at a startling 40KBps and

then falls drastically... and stabalises at 7 kbps ????

What in the name of god is that all about ??? a fall of around even 10 KBps can be

attributed to lag or local network issues..

But an almost 90% drop ?? What do the ISP's think of indian people ??

The snail like speed india is progressing at is simply unaccecptable.

Its like going to the grand prix with a bullock cart...

I think its high time indian ISP's have exploited us...

what do you guys say ?

Whatever happened to reliance broadband by the way ??

That had sounded very promising ...

31455[/snapback]

Hi buddies this is my first submission, though become a member a month back ;)

Exact net do not provide u internet directly, even u might have paid directly to them. They make use of the services of local service provider in your area with some % sharing arrangament. so even exatt wanted to give u good service they can not all the time and instances becouse of your service provider!

I have connection of 128 speed and i pay Rs.750 + taxes. Earlier i was getting 64 for the same amount. when i have drawn his attention to the adds of exatt (256 kbps@700 odd)he himself changed my package without asking any paisa extra.

In my opinion paying directly to exatt for a year is not good idea because if your service proder decides to discontinue exatt and wanted to get allign with say TATA then how u will claim refund or continution of services?

I are into data processing and our download is above 3GB/month.

STILL, I will rate him 7 out of 10 because there is always chance for imrovement!

Regards :)

pretender, which package are you using? If you're using the 64Kbps package then you're getting good speeds. Upgrade to exatt net's 256Kbps @ Rs.720 per month. You'll see the difference :help:

mohan, exatt net *does* provide connectivity directly but only in certain areas. They generally provide internet in the franchisee model. My franchisee unfortunately doesnt provide the packages that exatt net provides...

Guys, I know exatt net's uptime is really GOOD since my ISP buys his bandwidth from exatt net and his (my ISP's) servers are rarely down.

Edited by linuxguy

My local cable op in Thane provides the infrastructure (Hubs + Wiring) and we have a choice of 2 - 3 ISPs over the network.

I have used Exatt and Pacenet:

1. Exatt throughput is PATHETIC... even if you subscribe for one of their "High" speed packages, performance is P - A - T - H - E - T - I - C ! I dunno if my cable op is shortchanging us by buying low bandwidth and still charging us the high bandwidth charges.

2. Pacenet at least delivers 64K when I pay for 64K, but for higher speeds they fall short by 20% - 30%

Reliability is average to poor... mostly because the local network infrastructure is a fragile web of hubs and wires (no switches or routers) hooked up from building to building... if the network goes down on a Friday after 5pm, the local "tecnicians" will not bother with it till Monday afternoon !

Basically there is a lot of "goondagiri" when it comes to the cable business and no ISP can come into a home in Thane via cable without getting the blessings of the local cable op.

Still... it is cheaper than MTNL cuz of the unlimited downloads... but dont bank on it.. always keep a backup route to the internet.

My local cable op in Thane provides the infrastructure (Hubs + Wiring) and we have a choice of 2 - 3 ISPs over the network.

I have used Exatt and Pacenet:

1. Exatt throughput is PATHETIC... even if you subscribe for one of their "High" speed packages, performance is P - A - T - H - E - T - I - C ! I dunno if my cable op is shortchanging us by buying low bandwidth and still charging us the high bandwidth charges.

2. Pacenet at least delivers 64K when I pay for 64K, but for higher speeds they fall short by 20% - 30%

Reliability is average to poor... mostly because the local network infrastructure is a fragile web of hubs and wires (no switches or routers) hooked up from building to building... if the network goes down on a Friday after 5pm, the local "tecnicians" will not bother with it till Monday afternoon !

Basically there is a lot of "goondagiri" when it comes to the cable business and no ISP can come into a home in Thane via cable without getting the blessings of the local cable op.

Yes, I know the rates of exatt net's franchisees are pathetic. I was talking about getting the connection directly from exatt net. They have a very good infrastructure. I called up many ISPs since I wanted to change over from my local cable op. They all flatly refused. Apparently, the are quite afraid of him :)