Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
::: VA :::

Android app update process improved ahead of iOS

Android team had provided optional choice of Dalvik or ART system with Kitkat. Only a select few delve this deep to explore such features. Personally one of the choicest feature for me which I had wished since much before was improvement in app update process. I use both android & iOS. Every time there is an update I have to download the whole app size again. I had wondered why they can't make them supplement updates like in desktop OS. It was said that with the next iteration of android aka 5.0 ART will replace dalvik which will come with many such significant changes.

Interestingly iOS has not been able to tap this practical solution owing to their APIs I suppose till iOS 7.2 at least. I haven't checked iOS 8 yet. But in kitkat 4.4.4 I have constantly monitored that whenever you update an app. Even though it may show full app size when download begins and starts downloading but half through 45-55% it starts installing the update. I have even confirmed it with my exact data usage for that particular session. Finally & thankfully they have improved app update process. It saves time & data to a great extent. When we are using wifi we don't bother with such things. Some of us click update all, some choose certain apps to update, while others just ignore these notifications. But it matters and most of all its smart & practical.

Now a days mobile apps sizes have increased exponentially unlike initial days. Of course so has the quality and features. I am traveling so much and certain changes in updates demand immediate attention. I end up doing that on mobile data. This change has become a saving grace in many aspects.

If you have already observed this or are now noticing it, please share your experience and views.

• Like 3

I guess this has been there for last 6 months or so irrespective of whether u r in jelly bean or KitKat.. I am on jelly bean for long and I have observed most of the apps getting installed after 40 to 70 pc of app sIze is downloaded..

Sent from my SPH-D710

This facility was there in PlayStore for more than a year, (during JB or even ICS times) afaik... Even there is a post where Sougata ji informed this first in Rimweb ...

Further this is done in Google servers, I guess... Because even phones with age old Android version is also enjoying this facility afaik...

I guess this has been there for last 6 months or so irrespective of whether u r in jelly bean or KitKat.. I am on jelly bean for long and I have observed most of the apps getting installed after 40 to 70 pc of app sIze is downloaded..

Sent from my SPH-D710

You are probably right but Google officially published it only with introduction of android runtime ART as new feature over use of dalvic.

This facility was there in PlayStore for more than a year, (during JB or even ICS times) afaik... Even there is a post where Sougata ji informed this first in Rimweb ...

Further this is done in Google servers, I guess... Because even phones with age old Android version is also enjoying this facility afaik...

• Like 1