Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
v4victory

Problem With The Windows Xp Help Me

Hello friends,

i have resently brought the pc it came with windows xp installed. my problem is when i run any dos exe file it opens it and come out of the file without compltely executiing the task. Also my dos doesnot work through the run option in the windows i will have to go through the accessary menu the select the dos prompt.

to solve the probleum i desided to load duel operating system but win98 doesn't installed on the win xp platform.

waiting for your replys,

thank you in advance

vijay

Edited by v4victory

Win98 can not be installed as the second OS with winXp, you will have to format your HDD, install win98, and then install winxp as the second OS.

Otherwise, you can use cmd in the Run window to get access to DOS-shell under winXp.

There is no DOS with WinXP/Win2k .. only a shell similar to DOS ! called Command Line !( cmd.exe)

There r 2 options for u!

1.) Either install Windows 98

2.) Or install Separate DOS.

1.) YES! U can install Windows 98 over XP. And u don't need to format XP.

For this u hv to follow my procedure. Here I'm giving a brief tutorial for it:

Installing Windows® 98

1) Use a Win98 Setup CD to boot your computer.

2) Proceed with the install. When prompted for the install location, you'll see C:\Windows.000. Choose Other directory not the same directory on which ur XP is installed and change this to the drive you wish to install 98 to and name the folder Windows (or something else if you prefer).

3) Complete the Win98 install.  Allow the computer to boot into Win98.

Now u'll not able to boot into XP cauz the Boot loader will be overwritten.

Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader

1) Again boot with Win 98 Setup CD.

2) Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1

N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS

R BX

R CX

W

Q

3) Save the file as READ.SCR

4) Now in Command prompt type

DEBUG <READ.SCR

Steps 1 - 4 create the BOOTSECT.DOS file needed to boot Win98. You may need to use the ATTRIB C:\BOOTSECT.DOS -S -H -R command if BOOTSECT.DOS already exists and you get an error when trying to recreate it.

5) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.

6) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or

repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.

7) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only one installation.

8) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account.  It must be the Administrator account password).

9) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.

10) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.

Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

You will now get the XP Boot loader with your choice of operating systems.

2.) For Separate DOS, read following topic:

Dos Installation

This would be heavy for a newbie......I'll Suggest, v4victory you get your HDD partitioned and install win98, and then install winxp as the second OS in the other Partition. Two operating system in a same Partition might conflict with each other. Rest is your choice.

OK!

Other solution absolutely for a newbie...

Just install Separate DOS as I suggested in my 2nd option.

It'll automatically add an entry for it in the XP boot loader.

Now u hv to do only is to install win 98 using bootable CD.

Everything will be allright.

Cauz after installing DOS and then windows 98, the XP boot loader will be not overwritten and u can boot in both OS (98 and XP) without ne problem...

So what u hv to do is:

1) Install DOS then

2) Install windows 98

Thats it...

PS: I hv checked it so many times. Don't worry. Benefit is that u'll not hv to format XP and reinstall it and u'll not loose ne installed s/w or data. :confuse:

hi,

First try to do this:

1. Click on the Start > Run, and type "cmd" and press enter.

2. Now run your dos program (by typing here) which u want to run and see also any error message.

If problem is not solved.

Second try to do this:

1. Go to your program by using Windows Explorer or My Computer and Right click on the program and Click Properties.

Check the option "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 98 option.

Now run your program again according First steps.

If problem not solved, Please also give the name of the DOS program which u want to run and also the error message if u see anyone.

We will surely try to help u.

Thanks and Take Care!

@Vishal: Your method of installing Win98 over the same partition as WinXP will fail if the original partition is NTFS.

However, going for just a DOS install is a good idea.

@Rajenpert: I have seen many dos applications failing under xp even after enabling the compatibility options, as the DOS shell under XP has very limited access to system. And if some code requires exclusive access to say HDD, it would simply fail.

Dos Application which require direct access surely fail because of Seurity reason in DOS. But as i think Victory, does not use CMD at all. So i ask him about there program name. So we can understand what he want to do.

Thanks and Take Care!

@Puneet

Very true.

It works only if the partition is FAT32.

But we can convert NTFS into FAT32, then simply follow the steps.

And yes!

Installing DOS, then windows 98 always works like a charm.

If problem is not solved than V4VICTORY should go with installing of Windows 98! But all thing depends on His ans!

Thanks and Take Care!

EDIT: For name correction!

Edited by Rajanpert

i think i will go with dos installation first. my problem is whenever i run some application for e.g. i was installing turboc when i click on it it simply run for while gone off without any error . there are many such programs which are giving me problem

Edited by v4victory

U can go with DOS installation!

Please, do one thing for me! First Click on Start > Run and type CMD and click on OK. And now try to install TurboC here (I think u have TurboC zip file or install.bat file). and put all the message on your next post what will u saw. Because u always some DOS functionality in Windows XP also. Can u run XCOPY or EDIT command. Please also check that for me!

Thanks and Take Care!

Thanks for your support!

As u say u run the EDIT program but it is not running properly. Try to do following thing one by one and give me information accordingly.

1. First Run the MS DOS prompt. For this Click on Start > Program > Accessories > and click on Command Prompt. And now run the EDIT command in MS DOS window. Tell it working or not.

2. If it not working than Open the My Computer or Window Explorer and go to

Windows\system32 and search the file name edit.com here and Right click on that file, click to Properties. Click the Program Tab and then click Advanced. In the Windows PIF settings dialog box, select the Compatible Timer Hardware Emulation check box.

Now go to first step. And check again.

3. If problem not solved than select the Windows\system32 folder again and search a file named config.nt and rename it to config.bak and now copy the following attached file to the same system32 folder.

4. Now search the file named autoexec.nt in the System32 folder and rename it to autoexec.bak and copy the attached file to the system32 folder.

5. Restart the system. And Check the first step once again.

Contents of the File Config.nt

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Copy in notepad and save as Config.nt! and take step 3.

Content of File Autoexec.nt

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
REM    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM    where:
REM        A    specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
REM        I    specifies the interrupt request line
REM        D    specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
REM        P    specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
REM        T    specifies the type of sound blaster card
REM                 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM                 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM                 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM                 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM                 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM    The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330.  If any of the switches is
REM    left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since all the
REM    ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not have to
REM    match the real hardware setting.)  NTVDM supports Sound Blaster 2.0 only.
REM    The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an invalid
REM SB base I/O port address.  For example:
REM    SET BLASTER=A0

Copy in the Notepad and save as Autoexec.nt. and take step 4.

I hope your problem will solve. Please share your experience with us.

I am waiting for your response.

Thanks and Take Care!

PS: Please note that When saving in Notepad, save as type must be all files!

i tried above all thinks but it didn't help me. one more thing while installing the ms-dos7.10 it's saying to insert the bootable disk but i didn't have what should i do to install the dos 7.10 i have downloaded fullversion from the link given here i.e. rimweb

To create an MS-DOS startup disk in Windows XP:

The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

1. Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.

2. Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.

3. On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.

4. Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

5. Click Start.

Thanks and Take Care!

EDIT for new Trick:

Once more, regarding the problem DOS in Windows XP. Again, I want some support from your side. If it is possible, please do this for me. I want the content of the Boot.ini file present in your system (Because I think your problem is related to some type of updating). To open this file, follow the following steps:

1. Right click on My Computer, click on Properties.

2. In System Properties dialog box, click on Advance tab.

3. In this, click on Settings under Startup and Recovery section (i.e. Third option).

4. In Startup and Recovery dialog box click on Edit.

5. The boot.ini file is open in Notepad. Save As this file with new name like boot.txt.

6. Attach this file in your post. If you unable to attach this file simply copy the content of the file boot.ini and paste it in your post.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Rajanpert

rajan i will do that and tell you tomarrow. i have installed win98. do i need to install all the program again because in the start it's showing me only basic program and program which i installed in win xp are not shown. also my disply is showing only 16 colur and not other options such as 16 bit or 32 bit colour option . waiting for your reply.

bye and take care

Thanks, I will wait!

Regarding ur post. A bad news, U need to install all windows based program again, only dos based program can run without any problem if u have any.

Regarding Display problem! U need to install the Display Driver and also Audio Driver, which u can find in your CD which come with motherboard.

Send me the contents of boot.ini! your problem regarding Windows Xp may solved. Waiting.....

Thanks and Take Care!

here is the boot.nt file content

[boot Loader]timeout=30

Default=C:\

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

c:\bootsect.dos="MS-DOS 7.10" /win95

C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

Edited by v4victory

Hi Vijay!

Try to do following:

Please backup your boot.ini. To do this open the Boot.ini and save it with a new name Boot.bak. and also crate a startup disk.

To create a startup disk in Windows 98, click on Settings > control panel > double click on Add or Remove program > clcik on Startup disk tab > insert your Floppy and click on Create.

Now apply the following changes:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.dos="MS-DOS 7.10" /win95
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

Reboot your system and check.

If any problem persist than boot by the help of Startup disk and change the current boot.ini file with backup (boot.bak). To do this, delete current boot.ini and rename the boo.bak with boo.ini. You need to run following commands.

A:\ C:
C:\DEL BOOT.INI
C:\REN BOOT.BAK BOOT.INI

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Rajanpert