Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sunandoghosh

External Hard Disk - Important Issues

External hard disk - important issues to be considered

Dear friends and respected tech gurus...!!!

I have a compaq presario laptop with 40 GB hard disk inbuilt. I purchased it almost three years back.

The hard disk contains very important critical data and therefore i am thinking of having an external hard disk for backing up my hard disk of laptop.

I would also like the external hard disk / storage device to draw power from the USB itself without need for extra power adapter.

In this context please answer the following queries...

1. Should i purchase one external hard disk of 40 Gb...???

If yes which company's hard disk is preferable and reliable and affordable...???

2. Should i purchase external hard disk enclosure and external hard disk separately...???

3. Should i purchase 2.5 " or 3.5 " hard disk...???

4. Is firewire a better option than USB 2...???

5. How do i know whether my desktop computer (Intel motherboard 865GBF) and Comapq Presario laptop (purchased roughly three years back) have firewire ports or not...????

If yes then is it 400 or 800 ...???

Will cloning internal hard disk to such external hard disk be possible through USB...????

Please suggest keeping in view the above details.

Also if u wish to add anything please feel free to do so. if u think i am missing something or try otherwise or a better solution exists, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance for help and support.

Happy Diwali and Id to everyone!!!!

best regards

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

dude instead purchase a dvd writer add it to ur desktop computer and write few dvd's :lol:

ps :- to transfer ur data from laptop to desktop use lan

and if u still want to go for external hdd then read this for price and spec's

link1

link2

Edited by abhay

External Hard disks is surely one topic I can talk about on length..

well as far as choices go, I would suggest u to go in for the Seagate 40 GB external Mini. It is kewl, and I have not personally faced any data loss issues with it ..

On the other hand, an external casing with a 160 Gb (6 Partitions), gave issues like partition missing on prolonged usage.

Even my lappy is a compaq, if u see a port with the firewire icon near it, then there is firewire support on the lappy. I have tested all my lappys with USB disks so i wont comment on the usage of Firewire (though Mac entusists will still love the stuff on Firewire)

Cheers

Ashok