Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sunandoghosh

Usb To Ide Casing/enclosure - Frustrated...about T

USB TO IDE CASING/ENCLOSURE - FRUSTRATED...ABOUT TO GIVE UP...!!!!

Respected Tech gurus (and USB gurus) and dear fellow forum members...

Ok here goes the situation:

WHAT I DID:

I have recently purchased a frontech 3.5 " HDD Enclosure/Casing.

I also purchased one Hard disk seagate PATA 80 GB.

I initially connected the above seagate 80 GB PATA Hard disk internally in my desktop PC IDE and installed windows xp (without any service packs). ALso saved some data. Now disconnected this hard disk and put inside

the above frontech 3.5 " HDD Enclosure/Casing.

Now I have already one Seagate SATA 120 GB internally having windows xp installed (without any service packs).

WHAT IS HAPPENING:

Now when I plug in the USB cable from external enclosure to either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0....The 80 GB PATA hard disk (inside the enclosure) is not getting detected. Also the mouse cursor is temporarily every now and then

vanishing and then returning of itw own.

The driver CD that came along with the frontech enclosure has driver only for windows 98. So i presume windows xp or windws 2000 server should recognize it by default.

Also under "Disk management" there is no such external hard disk getting detected.

However when i see "device mangare" NOT under "disk drives" but rather under "USB Controllers" an icon is appearing saying USB Mass storage Device with a yellow Exclamation mark.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR:

All i want is that i should be able to

1. access data on such external hard disk 0f 80 Gb in external casing

2. eventually be able to directly boot from such external hard disk in external casing

FEW QUESTIONS:

1. am I MISSING SOMETHING OR DOING SOMETHING WRONGLY...?????

2. HAVE I COMMITTED A MISTAKE BY PURCHASING FRONTECH'S EXTERNAL CASING....?????

IS THERE ANY BETTER COMPANY AVAILABLE WHOSE EXTERNAL CASING S MORE RELIABLE AND THE PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE IN INDIA...????

3. IS WINDOWS HAVING NO DRIVER INBUILT FOR SUCH IDE TO USB DEVICE...????

ANy help/suggestion/guidance will be deeply appreciated...

Please reply in detail indicating what should i do....

thanks in advance for ur help and suggestions....

regards

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) redifmail (dot) com

India

p.s. by the way i am using intel motherboard D865GBF

I have two machines and a laptop on which I regualrly exchange my external drive... which is a External Casing with a Seagate 160 Gb in it.. never faced an issue.

One highly probable issue could be that u have a version of USB up's less than 2.0.

Coz in some systems where USB 2.0 is not there, I faced Speed and compatiblities issues... in one case the drive was not even detected.

one more suggestion, try to install SP2 for XP, coz some drivers for Mass Storage Devices and UPS's have been added in that SP.

Tell me what the outcome is...

Cheers

Ashok

there are good 3.5" usb 2.0 external casings available.

one of them is Manhattan, it costs Rs 2000/-

i know that the cost is too high comparing to ordinary casings, but this one is a top quality product and its much much better than any other chienese casings available in around Rs 1000 in mumbai market.

i've sold the same at Rs 3000 in some corporate offices, and the results are very satisfactory.

pm me if you want one, i can arrange one for you.

Edited by harsh

For a past few weeks, i m searching for a good mp3 player, which can double as USB disks. But then, I found out, that external HDDs are much cheaper alternative to the USB thumbdrive. You can get a 40GB HDD in the price of 1GB thumbdrive. There are even some external HDDs with On The Go Backup, meaning when you are on tour, you can backup the data from your digital camera/mp3 player etc to this hdd without pc! Now that's a very good thing for me.

I wanted to ask, does there exist any convertor, or connector, that connects the usb port to the memory card port. as the HDDs have a USB port, if there exist some USB to Memory card convertor, then we can use the removable memory based mp3 players, which will be very cheap compared to the ones in the market.

Just an idea. Does it /can it exist?

yep ... i personally use one USB card reader (about 300 bucks mate)

Cheers

Ashok

yep ... i personally use one USB card reader (about 300 bucks mate)

Cheers

Ashok

I don't want a USB card reader. I want a connector that will connect the external HDD to the digicam/mp3 player as a memory card, ie that cable should be like our USB to serial convertor etc. Using that cable, I should be able to plugin the HDD into the memory slot.

yes, that kinda device does exist.

its call usb bridge, its a device, which has 2 ends.

each end connects to different kind of usb device.

and can transfer data into each others.

have a look at a similar kind of device here ...

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html

its price is approximately Rs. 2000 locally. but i am not sure.

i'll find it out today and let u know here by evening.

Edited by harsh

yes, that kinda device does exist.

its call usb bridge, its a device, which has 2 ends.

each end connects to different kind of usb device.

and can transfer data into each others.

have a look at a similar kind of device here ...

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html

its price is approximately Rs. 2000 locally. but i am not sure.

i'll find it out today and let u know here by evening.

It is USB to USB. I need some cable that will have one end as USB in and other end as memory card in, so that I can directly connect the USB HDD as a memory card, not transfer TO the memory card.

usb to usb otg bridge available @ Rs 1800.

specification as almost same as given on the delkin site address stated above.

Edited by harsh

well I will explain what does ani require ... he wants a convertor... which has a USB connector at one end... and the other end should have a Memory card pins, so that if he inserts the said cord into the memory card slot of a digicam / mobile / whatever he should be able to use the HDD as a memory card..

too tough ani ... too tough ;)

both ends have usb, so u can use any usb device.

one end which contains source, will have digi cam attached.

the other end, which is the destination, also have a usb port, so if u can attached an externel usb hdd or a usb card reader on it, and transfer all the data from A to B.