Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
abhiiii

Planning To Buy A Pocket Pc

hello friends,

i am planning to buy a pocket pc.

please advice me.

also tell me which OS based is better windows 2005,palm or linux.

regards,

abhishek

ok friends.i searched the net and reviews regarding various pocket pcs available.

all has some pros and cons.

i ended up with DELL Axim x51v.

it is windows 2005 based.with a 624 Mhz intel processor.(fastest available)

and 256mb ROM and 64mb RAM(best memory available).

and it is the most stable and fastest pocket pc available with wi-fi,bluetooth,infrared,MS office applications such as

word,excel,powerpoint and outlook.(powerpoint first time included in microsoft mobile edition)

actually my sis is bringing this for me in mid march from states.

i will post a review as soon as i will get hands on this device.

Looks good!

HOw much is it going to cost you?

Aah..good u luking 2 buy pocket pc.. wht i would suggest u to go for windows os...coz of stability, inter-operability, wide range s/w selection..etc..

While buying consider HP...they r gr8..my dad is using one n he seems 2 b happy wit it..

Cheers!!

HP I Paq and O2XDA mobile phones are good. For those with extremely low budget, go for PalmMate, they are cheap and provide basic functionalities.

waiting for the time when like branded pc we will have the pda enabled mobile phone and a driver cd for symbian , windows and linux...... till then there is no real benifit generic PM/browsing / video capturing is available on nearly all mid to expensive phones......

world is quite divided on the platform... and here go for the company u trust the most... linux free ware , microsoft with such a large amount of money and a stong backup or symbian the os with max number third party softwares

personally, though never owned, i had been a great fan of HP ipaqs....

u r right rohit.

but simputer is a very slow device.

it runs on only 200mhz and to of arm RISC processor.

and have only 32mb dram and 24 mb personal storage.

when one will invest money then why one should not get a good device.

and also it doesn't have wifi,bluetooth,ir, .....

why one should opt for SIMPUTER.

Ill suggest u to wait for this strange mysterious device CODE Name : project origami, by world leader microsoft and intel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060228/tc_nm/...soft_origami_dc

Origami is device to combact ipod n other handhelds..Its wont have telephony..It might be super powerful verion of PDA's...

I verefied this information on microsoft n other blogs..

CHeers!!

Look at Palm, PALM TX Or PALM Life Drive with 4 Gb , They come with very nice screen, fast working, great data safety . and with Indian waranty at very good price.

look this, www.palmone.com/in

Check Out Exclusive Origami Photos!!

You've been hearing about Microsoft's mysterious Origami project for weeks. Now you can get a peek at the first Origami device, on display at the CeBIT electronics show in Germany. Martyn Williams (a correspondent with the IDG News Service and a regular contributor to our Digital World blog) has snapped one of the first pictures of the device. Take a look.

Samsung Electronics is showing the device, a handheld computer that falls somewhere between a tablet PC and a PDA and runs a special edition of Windows XP.

It will have ultra-mobile PC will run Microsoft's Origami version of XP Tablet Edition. This model has a 1.3mp camera and built-in GPS--that's the GPS antenna top left.

B_asus%20origami.JPG

Click here to see the image

< Refrain from posting such BIG images next time! As we hv dial-up users with data caps also! >

Edited by Vishal Gupta

atleast i having my dell axim 51v with me.

(my sis got one for me from us)

it is wifi enabled with bluetooth and ir as well.

i have installed some applications on it such as opera browser(for tabbed browsing...ie doesn't supports),and TCMP media player on it for playing different types of media files.

i am using a 2gb cf sandish ultra II card with it.

now i am facing one issue with it.in order to use internet on this device one should have wifi access.but i don't have. :)

but i am connecting to it using my 6255.in the same way we connects using our laptop.

i have configured its bluetooth and successfully made a dialer.now when i dials through ppc it connects with my cell and dials number through it.but it never connects.i am getting connected only once out of 10 times.

if someone has wm5 device tell me what i am missing.or suggest me what to do.

also is someone has games and applications for wm5 please share with me.

2 pics of axim51v

post-7269-1145177541_thumb.jpg post-7269-1145177560_thumb.jpg

now i am facing one issue with it.in order to use internet on this device one should have wifi access.but i don't have. :)

If you are ready to spend 1800 rs you can get your house Wifi enabled.The Wifi router can be used with

any connection.Actually there are two types of routers as wifi comes with 3 standards 802.11 a,b,g. a and g support data rates upto 54 Mbps,a works on 5Ghz range,b on 2.4 Ghz range.b supports 11Mbps.

There are two types of routers generally available one supporting b+g and othe other only b.b+g routers are costlier around 4500 .b routers are available at approx 1500 to 1800 Rs.b routers are more than enough for india as it supports 11 Mbps.One router i can recommend is linksys or SMC.I am using linksys.

As you have spent a lot of money on the pc,i advise u go for the WiFi router.

can u send me the details.

and also tell me how can i setup wifi.

from where can i get the necessary hardware in delhi.

can i authenciate the users so that no one other then me can use this wifi(aas pados wale :) )

can u send me the details.

and also tell me how can i setup wifi.

from where can i get the necessary hardware in delhi.

can i authenciate the users so that no one other then me can use this wifi(aas pados wale :) )

Go through the specifications of the pocket pc and ensure that 802.11b/g standard is specified.If there is support for 802.11b is specified you can ask any computer dealer to get you SMC router for 802.11 b.Make

sure with the dealer that you can return if it doesent work cause interoperability can be a problem.

It is available in ebay for 1500 last time I checked.

In fact my linksys router came with a software which did the whole job and it was very easy to use.

The router has many feature for wireless security (i)MAC address filtering.(ii)WEP which uses a static key for encrypting data(iii)WPA for dynamic key encryption.So,the whole thing is pretty secure.Setting the router

to allow for only the MAC address of ur pc will prevent other user connect to the network.

thanx for the info.

i will try it.

and also contact u for further details...can i??