Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
city02

Windows Registry

Some annoying websites change your IE home/start page without permission.

Are there any utilities to make access to certain registry entries read-only?

How can one prevent such modifications?

Thx,

Use ZoneAlarm Pro.

Maybe you should try out AD-AWARE its the 2nd most popular download on Download.com and I'm also using it it just works great for me. Heres the link

http://download.com.com/3000-8022_4-10214379.html?tag=pop

Actually I've been using Lavasoft's AdAware for over 3-4 months now but that only removes ad/spyware and does not seem to prevent altering of your reg settings.

i dont think the sites change the registry. if sites could cange it then every computer running windows could have been corrupted by a single email.

and i havent faced such prob. most often the sites ask if you would like to change the home page.

but i think it is possible to change without permission. the best thing to do would be not to go to that site.

i have seen such a prob on a friends computer. but i believe that it was caused because of downloading and running some program from the net.

the only sure work around such a prob would be to reinstall. a clean install. but u can try some registry cleaners. i doubt if it would be effective.

or else you would have to find out which program had changed the entries. if u r using xp or me then u can use system restore, restore it to a time when there was no such problem.

an advice for those who r just starting, others like me would have already found out bout such pitfalls through experience. dont download and run all u get from crack or for that matter serial sites. most of then the first download would be some kind of spybot, or something which makes a lot of unwanted changes to ur computer. check it out using antivirus.

well, sunil im sorry to say but u are not correct...

we CAN change the homepage of IE by java script.

so the good ones ask before they do and the bad ones do no.

i can give a process but it's a pain in the neck..

if u still want it PM me.

cauz i dont want to start unneccessary what'll that do? posts...