Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tanveer

Stb/ Iptv/ Dth

I am in South Delhi where in another two weeks, CAS is going to be implemented.

I have three options,

1. Buy/ Rent a Set Top Box from my cable operator. Which will be convenient since I wont have to run around much.

2. Subscribe for IPTV on MTNL, since I have a TriBand connection, but for this too I will have to buy/ exchange a new router. and I dont know how MTNL will do in this segment, though I am a satisfied customer of TriBand.

3. Get myself TataSky/ Dish. My doubts about this probably best long term plan is that I might need to shift from this city and dont know whether I will be able to take it a long to a c ity which at present does not have This service.

ANyone experiencing the same dilemma, or has had any experience with any of these?

TATA SKY is available virtually all over India. I assume you will not be shifting to one of the remotest corners of say NE/Ladhakh. Though TATA-Sky might be available there too.

As per the TATA-Sky user agreement, you own the Digicomp (basically STB), and the company owns the dish, wires and the Digicard. If you have to move to another city, call TATA-Sky and they will schedule an un-installation at your place. They will take the dish etc with them, and once you have moved to another city, schedule a re-installation appointment, and you are done. Reinstallation charges of Rs 500/- apply.

I have been using TATA-Sky for more than a month now, and take my word local cablewallah can not meet the audio-visual quality of TATA-Sky. Go for DTH and that too TATA-Sky.

Thanks Puneet

People have been recommending that.

I need some feedback from Delhi people.

Is this time for real or will we have another year or two of cable TV?

Actually cable costs very very less to me and the quality is good too. No frequent downtime either.

Where I stayed earlier, I used to pay 100 pm.

Now the cable wala has not come for the last 5 months. ;)

and the old folks here tell me he seldom comes.

Lucky you!!! TATA-Sky will cost you a bomb in comparison. The new rates are Rs 300/- all inclusive.

Yeah but watch out with Tata sky or Dishnet etc. Many building/societies will NOT allow you to install an dish for yourself on the terrace! So if you move around alot hiring a set top box from your local cable walla is the best bet.

Or look for a place which faces South-East, you can then install the dish on your window/balcony.

Yeah but watch out with Tata sky or Dishnet etc. Many building/societies will NOT allow you to install an dish for yourself on the terrace! So if you move around alot hiring a set top box from your local cable walla is the best bet.

i don't think any society can stop (legally) any one from installing DTH :NO: !!

tanveer i'll try to give u a detailed comparison (cost wise) in some time (3-4) hrs!! i need to leave now :angry:

EDIT :-

here it goes buddy :GirandoOjos:

1) CAS

minimum amount payable is 77 + taxes ( all free too air channel available with it)

after that its 5 RS / channel (normally every1 needs around 20 pay channels)

so that comes up to 100 + 77 + taxes !! around 200 RS

ADDED to that

2000 RS if u want the digibox on outright basis

or

Rs.30 rental on refundable deposit of Rs.999

Rs.45 rental on refundable deposit of Rs.250

comes in the range of 200 - 250

** for each additional tv the cost increases

2) DTH

two service providers TATA / DISHTV

1) TATA##

simple Rs. 300 / month (inclusive all taxes) get all channels sony + star + zee

digibox + dish = Rs. 4000 (Installation plus Activation plus 1 year warranty)

2) dishtv##

many packages, but most of them not worth it << has arranged the packages in such a way that one has to go for all in one offer

dishtv maxi offer RS. 240 / month (inclusive of taxes) get all channels

## major advantage is for people with more then one TV !! just 100 Rs. additional / month and get the same package for the 2, 3, 4 TV'S

&^%advantages of TATA over DISH

1) better after sales services

2) digicomp is replaced or a backup digicomp is gives if its not working immediately (incase of DISH u need to say goodbye to TV for 15-20 days)

#$%&^ CONCLUSION

1) DTH is always better but only the initial cost is to high (which ofcource will go down with competition)

2) cost wise i don't think there is much difference left between CAS and DTH

3) NO regulation of prices in DTH so if they want they can increase the prices to 1000/month < hypothetically

4) i think u should opt in for CAS on rental basis and then when competition heats in in DTH arena with reliances entry go in for DTH

Edited by abhay

both tata dishtv s**ks!

there is a need for more competition. i am stillwaitingfor price war :angry:

I would suggest you to go for Local Cable tv operator for a few months by renting his Set Top Box. And when Reliance launches Blue Magic in a few months shift to that. Because once you make an investment with either Dish TV or Tata Sky you wont be able to switch to Reliance and we all know Reliance will be the cheapest. So wait and watch.......

Abhishek

once you make an investment with either Dish TV or Tata Sky you wont be able to switch to Reliance and we all know Reliance will be the cheapest. So wait and watch.......

Abhishek

@abhishek

My dear friend you are right that Reliance will be the cheapest but its only at the starting level. Once they capture the market they too will increase rates as they are doing in their mobile service.

@tanveer

What I think about local cabale operator is that even if we took the STB on rent from him, the service we get will come to our home through their cables only and not from the dish directly. So if we go for the connection with local cable operator then we must be prepared to get frequent problems. As the line from where it is originated comes at our place through very long route. Sometimes there is no electricity supply in between and we can't get the service.

Even we are not aware about the quality of STB's purchased or rented from the local cable operator. And if their is any defect in the STB, they will take much more time to repair it.

Paying full payment for digital quality and not getting proper service may land us in trouble. I think what is the best is to go for personal DISH only. Either take service from DISH TV or from TATA SKY. One thing is confirm after you subscribe to the services of one of them is that you will get uninterrupted service directly to your home through the DISH.

So I think DISH or TATASKY will be the best option as per the current situation.

Regards.

Dish TV poised to spark price war by halving DTH rates

Just days short of the mandatory implementation of the conditional access system (CAS) in the four metros on January 1, 2007, the Subhash Chandra-floated direct-to-home (DTH) service provider, Dish TV, plans to slash prices 49%, from Rs 2,950 to Rs 1,500 (including Rs 200 installation charge). The announcement will be made shortly.

India’s only other nationwide DTH player Tata Sky—the 74:26 JV between the Tatas and the Star group—may be forced to follow suit since it sells a DTH connection at Rs 3,999. Doordarshan’s DD Direct airs free-to-air channels at Rs 77-plus taxes a month

At Rs 1,500, DTH would be nearly as competitive as a local cable connection. In parts of the country, cable installation charges range between Rs 300 and Rs 1,000.

Currently, Dish TV—India’s first and largest DTH service provider—offers two packages of 125 channels (93 paid and 32 free-to-air) for Rs 240 plus taxes and 85 channels (53 paid and 32 FTA) for Rs 210. Tata Sky offers 100 channels and interactive services at Rs 300 a month, inclusive of taxes.

The Dish TV move is not only aimed at pre-empting CAS from slowing down its DTH business growth but also to increase the entry cost for new players like ADAG’s proposed DTH project Blue Magic.

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_st...ntent_id=149497

well tanveer good news for you i think after this price war starts u could get DTH for as low as CAS i say f*ck CAS and go in for DTH :biggrinthumb::biggrinthumb:

nah i think DTH rates are @ par with CAS (difference of just 50 -100 rs)

and right now both the areas are not that consolidated that they can have a competition like we have in cellular world

common man DTH has o be a lil bit expensive than CAS considering SAT transmission costs and everything!!

Even the cable comes via satellite. Its just that the MSOs/cablewallahs install the receiving equipment.

Hello Everyone,

Want to clear certain doubts related to DTH, hope some one helps me.

First doubt is Can we use the DTH DIGICOMP box with other providers, like if i purchase, dishtv today and tommorow want to shift to Tata sky or Reliance, will I be able to use same box or do i need to buy again ?

secondly Is the DTH set top box different from CAS set top box ?

Which make set top box is provided by Tata sky & which make by Dish Tv, which is better ??

Thx & Regrds

1. No. You cannot use the STB of one DTH service on another.

2. DTH STB is different from CAS STB.

3. TATA-Sky provides either Thomson or Humax, Dish provides Zenega. TATA-Sky has a much better service as compared to Dish TV. You can search for reviews on mouthshut.com