Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Puneet

Apple iPhone

Apple's 8Gbyte version of the iPhone has a total hardware manufacturing cost of $265.83, generating a margin in excess of 55 percent on each 8Gbyte iPhone sold at the $599.00 retail price, according to iSupply.

The research company reported the results of its teardown analysis of the Apple iPhone, conducted last weekend.

"Apple's 8Gbyte version of the iPhone has a total hardware BoM and manufacturing cost of just $265.83, generating a margin in excess of 55 percent on each 8Gbyte iPhone sold at the $599.00 retail price," said Andrew Rassweiler, principal analyst for iSuppli.

Note that these costs do not include royalties and logistics expenses.

The analysis also showed that Infineon, a new supplier to the iPod family, is among the biggest winners in terms of semiconductor content. The German semiconductor supplier contributed the digital baseband, radio-frequency transceiver and power-management devices, providing much of the core communications capability of the iPhone. Altogether, Infineon?s silicon content accounted for $15.25 worth of the iPhone BoM, representing 6.1 percent of the 8Gbyte version of the product?s total cost.

National?s contribution to the iPhone BoM is relatively small, with its lone chip in the product costing $1.50, which represents less than 1 percent of total product cost. However, the part?a serial display interface?represents an important design win for National, which has never had a part in an iPod. The chip, which connects the display to the graphics controller, uses National?s Mobile Pixel Link standard, which the company has been attempting to promote for use in mobile devices. This is a significant win for National in a high-profile platform that is expected to ship in large volume.

One of the key features of the iPhone is the touch screen, and iSuppli believes the supplier for the touch screen module in the model torn down by iSuppli was Balda of Germany in association with its partner TPK Holding of China. The module costs an estimated $27, representing 10.8 percent of the 8Gbyte model's cost.

iSuppli believes the iPhone (LCD) display itself is supplied by multiple sources: Epson Imaging Devices Corp., Sharp Corp. and Toshiba Matsu****a Display Technology Co. Ltd. The cost of the LCD used in the iPhone is estimated at $24.50, representing 9.8 percent of the 8Gbyte version's costs.

Perhaps the biggest winner among the component suppliers for the iPhone was Samsung. The South Korean electronics giant supplies the iPhone applications processor, which includes an ARM RISC core. The processor costs $14.25 in both versions of the iPhone.

The company also contributed the NAND flash memory and DRAM for the iPhone. In the 4Gbyte version, Samsung has $24 worth of NAND flash, and $48 in the 8GByte version. For both versions, Samsung supplies 1Gbit of Double Data Rate SDRAM worth $14.00.

Samsung has $76.25 worth of semiconductor content in the 8Gbyte version of the iPhone, giving the company a 30.5 percent share of the product's hardware cost?the largest total of any single supplier.

Other companies scoring design wins in the iPhone include:

Wolfson, which continues to maintain its design win for the audio codec a notable achievement given the obvious challenge to maintain design wins from generation to generation in the iPod family. CSR plc, which supplies the iPhone Bluetooth silicon costing $1.90. Marvell, which is contributing a Wi-Fi baseband chip costing $6.00.

Sales of the iPhone have kicked off with a bang, and iSuppli believes that this strong performance will continue. Shipments of iPhones are expected to amount to 4.5 million units this year, and will expand by a factor of nearly seven to reach more than 30 million by 2011, according to Tina Teng, analyst, wireless communications, for iSuppli.

Wow what a debut :D by Iphone

Sheer Genius well thats what the company APPLE all abt ;)

They r gonna sell 45 lac iphones in just 1 year woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Long Live Apple :Contento:

Well, people always talk abt microsoft monopoly & hate that company for obvious reasons... the list includes APple as well

But hey Look whos creating a Monopoly here...

Want an iPhone... switch to AT&T ?? Want in iPhone commit for next 2 years ... hmmm...

Steve are you listning... You are becoming Gates # 2.

They are all same, make one lame product with attractive name and rumors and hype all over the net. at the end WE end up paying them huge amount. They get huge profit and we get product waiting for bugs to be fixed soon. they SCUK big time!!

They are all same, make one lame product with attractive name and rumors and hype all over the net. at the end WE end up paying them huge amount. They get huge profit and we get product waiting for bugs to be fixed soon. they SCUK big time!!

So what do you expect they will give you their product for free ... they r not an NGO

Every company makes a product for profit ... be it Microsoft, Apple , Reliance , Oracle & every product has some bugs u cant make a product which is 100% perfect .. Iphone bugs will be fixed by the time Iphone will be launched in India

Anyways Apple is not a company like Microsoft which makes products which r full of bugs :confuse:

Those who r just interested in criticizing they will always try to find some bug or error in a product

As far as Iphone is concerned whether u like it or not its a Smash Hit everywhere right now in USA... people in USA r not fools

that they will waste their 3000$ for a mobile phone ... Iphone is Class & Class is permanent :confuse:

Apple products seen so far are real good product. Cost is proportionate to the quality and performance. Apple products are best performers hence they may charge premium.

hype and looks aside (which definitely surmounts all reasons to buy this beauty though...), the sheer ability apple has to come out with a winner in a phone is what needs a mention. its true that their ipods have surpassed a 'cult-status', its more than just music... its the simplicity.

and with iphone they have taken this to the next level... i have my eyes on it too but only when i am sure i can transfer my existing music on it rather than being able to listen music bought from itunes specifically... so perhaps that could be a make or break factor for me...

An Apple iPhone update: Should you wait for a better deal, or a better phone?

A tech-industry exec who used to work at Apple reminded that, "It's conventional wisdom you should never buy a first-generation Apple product." He also said that "the second- and third-generation iPhones are already being prepped for release, respectively, just before Thanksgiving and then at MacWorld in January."

Richard Doherty speculates that Apple could quickly cut the cost of an iPhone to $350 by "eliminating the Wi-Fi." He suggests that models in the near future will feature larger 4-inch screens and AT&T's current, sluggish 2.5G [generation] transmission technology will be upgraded to a more-robust 3G standard. He also notes that Apple has a history of rapidly increasing a device's memory. "With the iPod, it's been 50 percent a year."

Given that a single feature-length film download from iTunes occupies about 1 gigabyte of memory, a movie buff's first-gen iPhone could get clogged fast. One way around that - not yet announced but likely coming - would be for Apple to offer a variation of its .mac head-end data locker service.

"You could keep 10 gigs worth of music stored in their server, and then tell the system to download, say, a specific 2 gigs' worth for the weekend - different music than you'd like to hear during the week," said Doherty. "Apple has lots of cute tricks up its sleeve like that one, that's going to make this product very desirable and hard for competitors to match."

Apple chief Steve Jobs sees the iPhone as more of a hip "everyman" product, a multimedia pleasure chest for the same cool, multitasking set that's been clamoring for the iPod since 2001. Jobs predicts he'll move 10 million iPhones in its first year.

See Apple has already decided abt the Iphone version 2

It should be a treat for all of us when Iphone is available in India next year...

Bringing the cost down would only further strengthen the sales of Iphone in India..

@kshah i definitely agree with you Apple products r damn good quality hence they can definitely charge a premium value for it...

We got some serious apple Fans here...!

Anyway- apple has well designed products & lots of thought process goes into desgining from user point of view...so u goota hand it over to them for that..!

Mr. Ambani - R U READING THIS ???? USER FREINDLY PRODUCTS ..! HAVE U HEARD ABOUT THAT TERMINOLOGY ...??

So what do you expect they will give you their product for free ... they r not an NGO

Every company makes a product for profit ... be it Microsoft, Apple , Reliance , Oracle & every product has some bugs u cant make a product which is 100% perfect .. Iphone bugs will be fixed by the time Iphone will be launched in India

Anyways Apple is not a company like Microsoft which makes products which r full of bugs :Contento:

Those who r just interested in criticizing they will always try to find some bug or error in a product

As far as Iphone is concerned whether u like it or not its a Smash Hit everywhere right now in USA... people in USA r not fools

that they will waste their 3000$ for a mobile phone ... Iphone is Class & Class is permanent :)

Well i am not criticizing, just my thoughts for this much hyped product.

They making more than 100% margin, which is quite huge comparing to us who struggle hard to make 5% profit.

and ya i dont want these in charity, i buy everything with my hard earned money, its a different matter for those who got load of money lying from their BAAP KA KAMAI, they can

afford to be BIG time fan of these kindof company. not my cup of tea.

Anyways Apple is not a company like Microsoft which makes products which r full of bugs :Contento:

that they will waste their 3000$ for a mobile phone ... Iphone is Class & Class is permanent :)

They making more than 100% margin, which is quite huge comparing to us who struggle hard to make 5% profit.

and ya i dont want these in charity, i buy everything with my hard earned money, its a different matter for those who got load of money lying from their BAAP KA KAMAI, they can

Mind your language

Everyone here does a lot of hard work to earn money ...

U dont decide what one needs to buy and what one needs to do ok Ur not GOD !!

U r not interested in Iphone than dont bother to comment on Iphone its as simple as that

Apple will decide at what price they will set the price of a product u cant decide u dont have that power !!

Even i can use this kind of derogatory remarks but i am not that type

What i said is simple criticism is ok but should be be constructive criticism

Here in India its hard to earn money bcoz there's so much of competition

In USA its a diff scenario

Never use language which can hurt other people's sentiments thats all i can advice you ..

@ Moderator - Those who use bad language should be instantly banned on this forum..

It seems I hurt the sentiments of some die hard fans, who are not willing to digest any kind of opposition.

Ipod was a novel idea.

Whats a novel idea in iphone? touch screen only as the method of input?

thanks but no thanks, if your digitiser is gone, you dont have any other method of input.

moreover inc ountries like india where there is oil everywhere and lot of humidity what do you expect your screen to look like after you have fiddled with it the whole day?

No one is saying that it is a bad phone but we are just saying its not worth spending so much at this moment.

If they drop prices to maybe half and change

- camera to >2mp

- add video recording

- allow third party applications

- fix the battery thing

- add 3g

- allow MMS

etc etc it would be a much better phone.

Please step outside of your fanboyish view and tell me if the above things shouldnt be there in the "best ever phone"?

people in USA r not fools that they will waste their 3000$ for a mobile phone ...

cant stop myself from laughing on this one.

American people live on hypes and phobias. You can fool them into almost anything.

Tell them Saddam is going to kill them and they will be up in arms without even knowing who saddam is.

Mind your language

Everyone here does a lot of hard work to earn money ...

U dont decide what one needs to buy and what one needs to do ok Ur not GOD !!

U r not interested in Iphone than dont bother to comment on Iphone its as simple as that

Apple will decide at what price they will set the price of a product u cant decide u dont have that power !!

Even i can use this kind of derogatory remarks but i am not that type

What i said is simple criticism is ok but should be be constructive criticism

Here in India its hard to earn money bcoz there's so much of competition

In USA its a diff scenario

Never use language which can hurt other people's sentiments thats all i can advice you ..

@ Moderator - Those who use bad language should be instantly banned on this forum..

Well its just a normal comment, dont take it personally.

I didn't meant to hurt u. But really i didn't expect it as a charity.

i also invest huge amount of my earned money to buy GADGETS and want them to be good enough.

recently bought much hyped sony DGcam H9, and not satisfy with it. bought friend bought Ipod from USA and its battery SCUKS.

i am talking from my experience and point of view, i am least interested in what people think in USA.

I am an INDIAN and this is how INDIAN takes it. :Contento:

Again sorry for my comments if it'd really hurt u.

( Hope i get some nice crazy customer in india to pay me 1,20,000/- for iphone. Yes i am importing them to sell them and rip of some rich guy) maybe i start supporting coolrajiv comments after making 300% margin outta it :D

Edited by Shaikhsadik

if you promise to give me a cut, i might as well change the tone of my rhetoric.

if you promise to give me a cut, i might as well change the tone of my rhetoric.

Anyday buddy :)

and hey u forgot that this phone cant recognize any bluetooth phone except headsets, and ya u cant listen stereo music on bluetooth ( No A2DP)

No MMS, No 3G, No GPS, No physical keyboard, ( Hey we have QWERTY KB in our PPC na ?? )

u cant edit WORDS and XLs.

I’ll tell you one thing, after being inundated for a month with all this iPhone stuff, I think I need an iBreak from all the hype.

As i have already said let the Iphone first arrive in India than all the critics can start their crusade against it

Abhie se iphone yeh hain usme yeh nahi hain woh nahi hain bolna bekaar hain ( absurd thinking)

as far as i know it will be launched in India (4 GB version) between 20000 - 25000 rupees

Another thing agar negative mindset rakhoge toh phir negative vichaar hi ayenge aur negative reviews hi yaha post kiye jaynege

As far as i know Iphone version 2 will be launched in India(official launch time) somewhere in 3rd quarter of 2008

"Iphone version 2 will be launched in India & i think it will have all the features which r missing in Iphone right now atleast some new features will be added which r missing definitely "

So till than just be restrained in your comments abt it..

Aur jise khali criticise karna hain they r most welcome to write anything they want ..

it doesn't matter to me what a bunch of people thinks abt Iphone i dont give a damn to those negative mindset people..

Edited by coolrajiv

just goes to show the deep sentiments apple and its products go onto urge... its a cult feeling... i feel it too with the ipod blasting in my ears... bring on the iphone maaaan!!!!

Edited by watersigndj

As i have already said let the Iphone first arrive in India than all the critics can start their crusade against it

Abhie se iphone yeh hain usme yeh nahi hain woh nahi hain bolna bekaar hain ( absurd thinking)

as far as i know it will be launched in India (4 GB version) between 20000 - 25000 rupees

Another thing agar negative mindset rakhoge toh phir negative vichaar hi ayenge aur negative reviews hi yaha post kiye jaynege

As far as i know Iphone version 2 will be launched in India(official launch time) somewhere in 3rd quarter of 2008

"Iphone version 2 will be launched in India & i think it will have all the features which r missing in Iphone right now atleast some new features will be added which r missing definitely "

So till than just be restrained in your comments abt it..

Aur jise khali criticise karna hain they r most welcome to write anything they want ..

it doesn't matter to me what a bunch of people thinks abt Iphone i dont give a damn to those negative mindset people..

Coolrajiv i like the way u supporting APPLE, but trust me IPHONE is not hit product just got good opening thats it.

I will tell u to wait for nokia AEON series and HTC TOUCH, these all are nice product with multi-touch feature same in Iphone.

Ipods success is fine as it gives u simple UI with nice music quality. cellphone need R&D and load of patents to follow.

When u spend 600uSD and ur phone cant recieve mms, friend is sending from his 30USD phone how u will feel?