Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
raccoon

Whats A Good Basic Gsm Handset?

I need to buy an inexpensive GSM handset as a 2nd phone (to use with an Idea connection). Price should be not more than 2 or at the very max 2.5k. Cheaper the better.

The bare minimum requirements are:

1) Multiple recepients for SMSes (must!)

2) Support for concatenated (>160 characters) SMS (must!)

3) Multiple field address book (3 per entry will do)

4) Handset software and keys should be efficient for SMSing

5) Signal reception, voice clarity, should be GOOD

6) Basics like Calendar/Scheduler/Reminder/Alarm/Calculator would be very desirable

7) Colour screen prefered but not prerequisite ...more important would be good fonts and clarity for SMSing. Very small

screen definitely not preferred as its not good for SMSing.

8) Decent looking (really not fond of looks like the Nokia 1100, etc)

9) A torch would be very desirable but not mandatory

Basically, a reliable basic handset which is really good at the basics - SMSing and Voice calls. FM radio, etc not at all required.

Would really appreciate if anybody could help me with this... :D

P.S.: Anybody has any opinion of the LG KG-110 handset being bundled with Airtel connection? Seems the handset is available without the bundled Airtel SIM with some dealers. Isn't the handset likely to be locked? Would there be any problems with SIMs of other operators if the handset is unlocked?

Edited by raccoon

One more option is the Motorola W205 at Rs 2500. It has a color screen, 500 contacts and 750 SMS store. Check out at the nearest retailer about this model. I am not sure about the SMS user interface and how easy or difficult it is to send SMSs to groups.

I would rather you go in for some S60 phone maybe 2nd hand. Nothing to beat that for SMS.

Thanks

Thanks guys! :P

Nokia 3120 looks nice ...but quoted at around 4k on ebay ...should of course get it cheaper at the local vendours but it will still be way over budget. Seems overpriced to me (like most Nokias) ...4k CSTN screen and v basic features for 4k??? :huh:

Moto W205 seems nice with 64k CSTN screen ...and sanely priced. The 750 SMS capacity is simply awesome esp. in a low end phone! :) Wonder if others will ever provide this kinda memory! But since I already have a Moto, was hoping for something else...

Still feel the LG KG-110 is the best value ...if I can get it at a good price minus the Airtel SIM...

Anybody has any other ideas? Please, do suggest... :)

LG phones have exceptional voice clarity, but this is offset by the lack of UI for SMSs. I have one LG C3400 which is absolutely great as far as voice clarity is concerned. The voice is almost the same as in a LG CDMA, but the SMS UI is horrible - you cannot send to groups, and you can send one SMS to only 6 recipients. This is an old model and maybe now their UI would have improved, just check thoroughly before you buy it. If you can up your ante, NGage QD is fabulous. You cannot get a better SMS friendly mobile. Here you can send SMSs to multiple groups (unlike in our CDMA - multiple recipients), and since it is a S60 phone, you can cut, copy, paste and edit SMSs also. You would already be knowing all this, just for info.

Hows the specs for LG KG-110?

Thanks

Hey no, I didnt know ...thanks for telling! Have used/handled very few models in real... As for the cut/copy/paste ...even Moto SLVR L7 can do it. Dont know if L2 and L6 can do it though. L7 is not too bad with SMSing with a few quirks - you cant toggle delivery reports to "on" permanetly. The UI sure can be better, but its tolerable. Its the call register/logs that are HORRIBLE - missed calls are mixed with recieved calls and only the latest record for a particular number can be seen! Also, the ph isnt good for those who rely on their mobiles for time and date! Is this the case with all Moto phones? If yes, its a total deal breaker! :)

Whats the NGage QD going for now? Isnt it mainly for gaming?

About LG KG-110 ...unfortunately there is very little info online and hardly any good reviews. But for the price the specs seem the best! And its very light wt and slim. Check it out here. The manual suggests that sending SMS to multiple recipients is possible (dosen't say how many). For those who dont know - Airtel is selling this for about 2.4k with same Airtel-Airtel talk time, 2 yrs total validity ...and better tariff than RIM. Unfortunately seems LG isnt selling this seperately.

Edited by raccoon

Finally bought a Nokia 1112 for Rs. 1,900. Had picked up what I think was a LG B2060 (was getting it for Rs. 2,300 after lil bargaining) but kept is back after some apprehension ...and after some pissing off with the UI. The looks cud however beat the Nokia 1112 black and blue. 1112 is a really, really BARE bones phone :( ...dosent even have multiple field address book! And only 200 entries possible ...which Nokia shamelessly advertises this as "Large contact storage - up to 200 entries in built-in phonebook" and "Large SMS storage on phone - up to 60 SMS"! :angry: No torch on these new Nokia models either ...unlike the 1100. And the hands free (headset) looks as cheap as the cheapest unbranded ones you cud find on the streets!

On the plus side it seems to do what little it can with some aplomb. Keys are tactile and good for rapid SMSing. It supports long SMSes upto 920 characters! The SMS editor has an "undo" function. Ringtones are "nice" for a ph of this class. But seems the SMS "send to many" option sends the SMS 1-by-1 as you select contacts from the address book ...instead of sending it all at once!

One function I was very, very happy to find was the SMS "Send Later" function! :) Sorely missed this on GSM handsets, as I used it frequently on my RIM. However, on 1112 it seems that its a phone function and not a network function ...so I guess it wont work if the ph is off or out of coverage. On the positive side, you can set a custom date and time instead of having to select predifined entries from a menu ...like in RIM! ;) Wish more phones had this function!

All in all, Id say it overpriced ...and antiquated ...though it does what little it does fairly well.

Edited by raccoon

After using this handset for a couple of weeks Id just like to share here - This handset has amazing voice clairty! :)

IMHO its quite comparable to a CDMA phone! If a GSM phone can have such good voice clarity, one of the v few advantages of using a CDMA will also pale!

Have now used this handset on both Airtel and Idea ...on Idea (often) the clarity seems even better!

I have however been told that most basic handsets have excellent voice clarity ...compared to fancy upper end models! This sounds wierd these days most people have fancy upper-range handsets for which they pay many times more than a basic handset ...and hardly use more than 10% of its functions! IMHO, a mobile is 1st for calling and texting ...other functions are of course more than welcome, but not at the expense of these 2 most basic functions!

I havent used a lot of handsets, so if anybody has, and has made a comparasion, then it would be useful if you could share your experiences... ;)

Anybody who is considering this handset - mine died in after just 10 days of v moderate use! And no it hasnt been dropped or subjected to any mishandling. Just got it repaired in warranty yesterday, and it died again in just 4 hours! And as a bonus they have left some particulate matter on the display, under the screen, which makes it extremely irritating and shabby to look at!

This is the 1st Nokia phone I'v bought and FWIW the 1st "Made in China" phone I'v bought! Nokia is adamant about not replacing the handset. The service centre says they have no authority to replace anything! A rather caustic email to the company yielded a reply directing me to the service centre!

It wasnt a bad phone while it lasted, but absolutely useless if its so unreliable! I dont think I'll touch another shabby Nokia product ever again... :angry:

so u got the phone for rs.190/-day..

do u wish to try and escalate the matter to the head of customer service? may be newspaper like mid day.. they try to contact the company official and get a feedback..

and yes if the fault was in manufacturing then it should get replaced i.e. if the service center cannot do it and states the reason as manufacturing defect.

How do I escalate it to the head of customer service? I wrote to Nokia (India) using the form on their website. I cant find any other place/email id to write to.

MidDay does that kind of thing???

For sure it is a manufacturing defect. Since it just died in barely a week, they should obviously replace it ...cus if I wanted to play the repairing game, I could always have bought it much cheaper 2nd hand! But they are adamant about not replacing their junk. Now I have no option but to waste more time and effort in taking it back to the service centre.

I was told they do, but its VERY far ...and even if I do go, there is no guarantee that they will replace it, is there? :NOTriste:

^^^

It appears that you have bought a grey market handset and if so, there is no warranty. If no, go over to the Nokia ASC and create a ruckus there. Only then you will get things done. If you do not create a scene there, you will be made to come and go several times before you get a replacement.

No, no, no! Its not a grey market handset! I got it with bill and standard 1 yr warranty from a well known shop here! Have mentioned this elsewhere also. Besides, the Nokia ASC would not have repaired it once in warranty if it was from the grey market ....so its obvious that its not from the grey market.

The Nokia ASC says they simply dont have the authority to replace anything ...for that only the Head Office can do ...which is very far away. Think they are lying?? :angry:

Now the funny thing is the screen has started working again ...all on its own! Now if I take it to the ASC they might wonder what Im talkign about. I guess I should just wait for it to conk out again... damn!!!

Nokia is going the Classic way....! Pathetic!!

The handset failed again. Took it to the ASC ...and inspite of escalating the issue, Nokia is adamant about not replacing the defective handset. They have again returned it to me after repairing ...and with lots of glib talk and empty assurances... :)

Bottomline is, I have to learn to live with a defective handset which neither looks nor performs like new! Guess, I deserve this for making the mistake of choosing a Nokia :grin:

Lets see how long before it fails again... Perhaps instead of doing all this, it might save me time if I sue them in the Consumer Court instead...

A friend was just telling me his tale of woe with his Nokia 2255 (Tata Indicom) ...problems even after repeated repairs!

Beware of Nokia ...they neither have the quality/durability they used to be known for, nor are they bothered about customer satisfaction...