Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kshah

Xcpu Scalar Andpower Consumption

I installed XCPU scallar and chcecked power consumption by ACB power meter. To my surprise I found that 6700 consumes more power with Scalling than WM5 power management. Any body has checked?

hey...

with hetals rom he has customized xcpuscalar and i have tried and left it on auto scale as he suggested... somehow havnt been really able to track the difference... would love to know though...

Kalpak do more Research and post back as I am more Busy on Building AKU 3.5.4.B

Please tell me should i Include into ROM or leave it.

The weather update in mobile shell should be turned from automatic to mannal....

Reducing brightness of screen on battery to half increases battery life as well. Hope this 2 settings can be configured in the ROM by default.

Main reason of battery drain is Poor Coverage of Network or poor Wi-Fi signals... the more weaker the signal more enegry it s**ks out of phone..!

My battery last 1 day - with over 80-100 mins of talktime and 20-30 Mins of Wifi. Using AKU 3.5.4.A with MMS + Sprint 1.27.00 Radio Rom

I tried many ways for 5 minute cycles. Using XCPU scallar, minimum power consumption is bout 39-41 mA and without CPU Scalalr it is 37-39 mA. Not much diference but average power consumption after 5 minute running is about Without CPU scallar it is 57 mA (4 mAH, average of 5 readings) average and 3 mAH where as with XCPU scallar it is is 44 mA.

Settings

Display: 50%

Backlit off : after 10 seconds

Device off after 5 minutes

All beams and BT off

All programs are killed before power check

I think I need to use XCPU scallar for few days before making any conclusions.

kshah... found this somewhere... see if u could corelate...

TEST RESULTS

First some notes about how these next two tests were run. My iPaq2215 was used in both runs using only battery power. The storage cards (1 512Mb CF and 1 256Mb SD) card were left in the unit. Initially Today screen programs were disabled (until both tests were completed). Before each individual test, the unit was put through a soft reset, the password was entered, and WisBar was exited. Then the test was started. The unit was not touched (even to turn on the backlight to check status) until all tests were completed. Then the data was transferred to the PC, and the next test was run (using the same procedure). Both tests had XCPUScalar running. The first test locked in the CPU speed at 400MHz (the normal speed for my 2215) and will be displayed in BLUE while the second test used the Auto Scale feature and the settings shown in the "Advanced Tab" screenshot and will be displayed in GREEN. The testing program used was Spb Benchmark.

400_benchmark.jpg

Test Run 1 - 400MHz Spb Benchmark Index - Score 1096.8

400_cpu.jpg

Test Run 1 - 400MHz CPU Index - Score 1781.2

auto_benchmark.jpg

Test Run 2 - Spb Benchmark Index - Score 1272.5

auto_cpu.jpg

Test Run 2 - CPU Index - Score 2206.1

Note the 175.7 point increase on the Benchmark Index and the 424.9 point increase on the CPU Index.

hey kalpak...

i read thru a load of posts on both ppcgeeks and pdaphonehome and my understanding of it suggests:

1. there is a resident scalar in the ppc and it scales between 100-416 range

2. xcpuscalar, when set on autoscale fights constantly with this scalar and hence even in hybernation there is a battery draw

3. overclocking with xcpuscalar at 520 levels boosts speeds and is pretty stable with a marginally extra draw on battery

4. the developer of this software therefore suggests one shoud clock the cpu at a fixed speed and let it run there instead of autoscaling it

5. our ppc without the scalar runs at around 108 most of the time and hence the sluggish nature of the same

6. i ran this constantly at around 520 speeds and saw a good improvement in speed and the battery lasted decently for me.

though i chose to let the ppc run on its original scaling. im okay with a little slow ppc rather than letting my battery defeat me on a days work...

ur thoughts...

Edited by watersigndj

Yea... there is a Tug-of-war between battery and performance(efficiency). Gotta make your own balace.

I prefer my battery to drain.... Wifi is absolute must for me... after all thats the prime reason i need this phone.

Yesterday I did more experiments. ACB power meter measures only PDA battery consumption and do not includes RADIO stake's consumption. With XCPU scalar even if we make frequencies to 108 Mhz there is hardly average 1 mAH power consumption difference. Means more power is consumed by RADIO rather than PDA. (Not my reserch, just concluding)

I have not overclocked CPU so far, but underclocking power consumption data shows that there will not be even loss of 5% battery life with overclocking. as there is hardly any change in average power consumption (Max 1-2 mAH), Less than 0.2% of battery capacity of 1350 mAH

so in line with the developers suggestion that we shud overclock nd let be rather than autoscale...

I find autoscale waste of resources. May be for stand alone PDA its good to conserve even little battery but we have guzzler phone that too on reliance network, which really need EXTRA POWERFUL BATTERIES. In my office phone's network bar reaches to ZERO atleast once a minute and I am lucky if my 10% - 15% calls are not dropped

oh then to u already in a pit as far as battery issues go... network unavailability drains battery faster than reason... even i have kept xcpuscalar a safe distance away from my phone for the time being :P

Edited by watersigndj

After about week of extensive trials I dumped XCPU today.

lets make hetal know these findings so that he dumps it too from his new rom and saves a little more of the 'valuable' space !

Thanx Dheeraj and Kalpak

I have Dropped the XCPU Scalr from Latest ROm but Saved only 183 Kb

Its not gr8 space saver but no point in wasting time and efforts in hope that such things will save battery.