Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vishal Gupta

DID YOU KNOW: Windows VISTA Facts & Goof-ups

Guys!

As u all know Vista is out and I'm using it since many months. :D

So in this period I hv found lots of interesting things, a few of them can be called goof-ups. So in this thread I'll post about such interesting facts.

1. If u press <SHIFT> key and right-click on a folder, u'll get "Open Command Window here" and "Copy as Path" options.

2. U can enable "Checkboxes" to select items using "Folder Options". It helps in selecting multiple items.

3. Windows DreamScene doesnt work, if "Show Translucent selection rectangle" option is disabled from System Properties (Performance Settings).

4. DreamScene stops running, when we maximize the active window.

5. When u change something from Performance Settings in System Properties, the Aero theme is automatically changed to Vista Basic theme.

[Did You Know] Ultimate List of Windows Vista Facts, Bugs and Goof-ups

Edited by Vishal Gupta

^^^

Hey my dear VISTA man, its really interesting to know some facts about Vista from you. Keep posting some more facts like this.

Regards.

I am using Windows Vista on my HP Laptop i can easily use Personal Area Network of Laptop with my UTStar PPC 6700 and use Reliance Mobile World internet so i pay as per KB is being Transfered and not as per .60/minutes.

This is great i can keep Google Talk and Messenger always on.

AERO is more power hungry it will run best if you have 1 gb RAM and Preferably a Good Graphics Card on it.

Some Program which dont ran on my Vista Home Premium Edition.

- OpenOffice 2.1 (Dont get installed Properly)

- BlueSoleil Bluetooth (Any WinXP version just Reboot the Vista) Dont Install it.

- WdComm Bluetooth Version 6 (Got from HP Website) Got Installed but dont run.

Hey Vishal any Idea / Solutions

Edited by hpnasik

@Honest

thnx buddy. :angry:

@hpnasik

About OpenOffice, I don't know coz I'm using MS Office 2007 on Vista. :Contento:

Afaik, BlueSoleil has released a version for Vista but its paid. But u know how to get it? :grin:

About WDComm, Did u try to run it in compatibility mode? Also right-click on its shortcut and select run as administrator.

One lil thing i like in Vista is - when we rename a file(with extensions displayed), unlike in XP, Vista renames the NAME of the file only, NOT the EXT.

--

Nice Compile Vishal :grin: Seems to be from your own personal experience... Nice.

btw,

6. If u press and hold <CTRL> key and then scroll with ur mouse backward/forward on desktop, then the desktop icon size will increase/decrease.

This will work within all (Windows) Explorer windows also... pretty slick tool.

^^ yes buddy. Its all from my own experience. :Riendo:

@ liquidnitrogen

Yeah buddy. Me too noticed it and was about to post it but u beat me. :(

And it not only happens for folders containing images but also any other folder. :grin:

Open any folder and try the trick, it'll work. ;)

I hv submitted the BUG to MS...

[offtopic]

one question....so how exactly is Vista better than Linux :) I mean we have a lot uber cooler effects, we are more secure, we run FASTER, we're a lot more stable, we're well...free...legally :) , umm...and we can make it work the way we want, plus we can also change our whole "shells" if you know what i mean ;) So how exactly is Vista better than Linux :)

[/offtopic]

[offtopic]

one question....so how exactly is Vista better than Linux :) I mean we have a lot uber cooler effects, we are more secure, we run FASTER, we're a lot more stable, we're well...free...legally :) , umm...and we can make it work the way we want, plus we can also change our whole "shells" if you know what i mean ;) So how exactly is Vista better than Linux :)

[/offtopic]

I'd say thats a flaimbait . Well i have used both fiesty fawn, beryl and metisse (so much for affect, sorry if metisse is mispelled), have extensively used and programmed QT and know linux as a system admin and desktop user. If i didn't have had a msdn universal subscription i might have not installed vista ultimate on my laptop and would be running kubuntu, as it's free.

As a Vista user, I would suggest you to give a shot at WPF or wait a few months and see how powerful it is. I personally feel windows XP is a much better desktop operating system then any other OS available out in the wild and you couldn't agree any more. Linux is still and always better on the server and security side. Vista on the other hand has filled up the gap, it sure has better security (for example system automatically do su before you change anything system critical).

I think if linux catch up and come out with a better desktop, microsoft would not change over night and would still be going good, rather would comparable to IBM when Microsoft had come out with windows 95. I think that would be a long way to go. Windows has MSDN and Visual Studio that makes all our life easier, linux does not have anything quite close to it (i know and have worked with kdevelop etc) and that what kicks the meat of linux

Cheers

nitro

http://cacheyourcash.blogspot.com

Nice VISTA screen saver for XP.

Bubbles is my favorite.

Enjoy it.

ANOTHER BUG...

1. Goto "Organize -> Folder & Search Options".

2. In "View" tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders" option and disable "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option.

3. Now check the Desktop, u'll get 2 "desktop.ini" files on desktop.

Now first thing wth there are 2 desktop.ini files? I came to know that 1 file is for current user and 1 for all users profile.

Ok, but why these files are shown on desktop after enabling/disabling above mentioned options?

In earlier versions of windows (like XP) no such file was shown on desktop even the file exists in desktop folder, but it was not used to show on desktop. It was a good feature.

But in Vista, it looks so annoying. Many users like me enable "show hidden files/folders" option and disable the option "hide protected system files". But if we do so, then desktop starts showing those 2 ugly files. I want a clean desktop, as clean as possible. So its too annoying...

And if u delete the files, they'll re appear after restart.

So its definitely another BUG in Vista...

The 'Calculating Time remaining' is a complete waste of time.

Get rid of it!

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Post subject: Calculating time remaining - a waste of time

Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windows>vista>performance_maintenance (more info?)

This 'Calculating Time remaining' is a complete waste of time and desktop

space. If it was ever in XP I never noticed it. I assume that this is why

copying/cutting from one place to another seems to take 5 times as long in

Vista

Get rid of it!

----------------

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I

Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this

link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Here's the micsof link to vote Windows Help Newsgroups

-

psst... we need a da8n mzft account to be able to vote

Edited by rEdshiFt

^^^

Definetely my dear friend its very irritating. Microsoft must take this in notice. I voted for it through your link.

Regards.