Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
praveen.valluri

Cdma Vs Gsm

cdma vs gsm  

39 members have voted

1. 1. which one would you vote for comparitivelly in all the ways?

• CDMA
    • GSM

:Chulo: Hi all

I want to discuss CDMA Vs GSM

Everybody having their own views let me see how many would vote for gsm and for cdma

We will discuss only the network

Tech savvys please give your guidance with the signalling and all

initially CDMA was local and was cheaper

And GSM was used nation wide was costlier

Now what is the thing behind both have reached the same level

My opinion in CDMA

Mobiles become hot atleast for a half n hour conversation with cdma

In GSM

It will allow more than two hours with out getting heated

^^^

My dear friend in my opinion CDMA is the cheapest and the best option available. Although GSM is preferred by many but voice clearity is much more in CDMA.

Regards.

GSM and CDMA has been discussed world over Few pro and cons I know of

GSM

Pro

Matured technology

Open ended, user can do any setting him self.

Wide spread

Good battery life

Cons

Lower capacity

Lower data rates

Poorer voice quality

More call drops

CDMA

Pro

Newer technology

Better spectrum efficiency theoretically can accommodate unlimited number of subscriber per tower.

Better voice quality

Higher data transfer

Low per subscriber cost of infrastructure

Cons

Closed ended highly protected technology

Little or no control of user on settings

Yet not fully matured (No CDMA netwok world over gives flawless auto redial, just a small illustration of maturity of technology)

Because its american, it try to differ from GSM hence compatibility issues in even smaller things like SMS (Both uses different standards)

Becoming hotter is more in CDMA because CDMA transmit continuously where as GSM handset transmits intermittently. Therefore SAR is higher in CDMA than GSM.

Edited by kshah

GSM

Cons

Poorer voice quality

More call drops

CDMA

Pro

Better voice quality

Cons

Becoming hotter is more in CDMA because CDMA transmit continuously where as GSM handset transmits intermittently. Therefore SAR is higher in CDMA than GSM.

My experience with GSM is differerent. It has better voice quality. In CDMA the quality of voice is not good, but it is louder. Call drops is more. Hope it may be the problem with Reliance network.

If SAR is higher, can we understand that for health GSM is better.???

GSM

Cons

Poorer voice quality

More call drops

CDMA

Pro

Better voice quality

Cons

My experience with GSM is differerent. It has better voice quality. In CDMA the quality of voice is not good, but it is louder. Call drops is more. Hope it may be the problem with Reliance network.

If SAR is higher, can we understand that for health GSM is better.???

Yes GSM appear to be better for health but its better till you use is it as and on TDMA. As soon as it becomes 3G data device (WCDMA) / EGPRS it is as worst as CDMA perhaps more.

VOice quality could be poorer for cdma when there is congestion / in specific area. Else cdma is suppose to be beter in voice quality and data quality. Also it is cheaper because of efficiency.

In CDMA call drops when tower is having more number of subsrciber and when handset can not transmit with higher power. You may be aware than in CDMA battery consumed is more when net work has congestion. Because handset transmit at higher power. where as in CDMA its constant, hence call drop. CDMA has better handoff than GSM. Hence again fever call drops when handset moves from one tower to another

GSM and CDMA has been discussed world over Few pro and cons I know of

GSM

Pro

Matured technology

Open ended, user can do any setting him self.

Wide spread

Good battery life

Cons

Lower capacity

Lower data rates

Poorer voice quality

More call drops

CDMA

Pro

Newer technology

Better spectrum efficiency theoretically can accommodate unlimited number of subscriber per tower.

Better voice quality

Higher data transfer

Low per subscriber cost of infrastructure

Cons

Closed ended highly protected technology

Little or no control of user on settings

Yet not fully matured (No CDMA netwok world over gives flawless auto redial, just a small illustration of maturity of technology)

Because its american, it try to differ from GSM hence compatibility issues in even smaller things like SMS (Both uses different standards)

Dear Friend

If the emissons are continuous then Radiation hazards from CDMA must be much more??

As I mentioned, till you use GSM on TDMA, once you switch to WCDMA it is almost same as CDMA. There is difference in emission by handset also. Its a long explanation. You may read it at wikepedia or SAR information sites.

Convergence of GSM into WCDMA

and CDMA into EVDO

Both will become Capable of High Speed Data and other Add ons

In WCDMA Battery will be Worst as Handset will keep on Hopping between 4 GSM Band and 3 WCDMA Band will consume the Battery a lot and Code Division Method uses more Battery

As far as Battery is Concerned WCDMA / HSDPA is Consume more Battery then EVDO as EVDO Operate in Just 2 band

From the user's perspective, CDMA v. Gsm is only one issue. The other huge issue is the frequency band. Indian CDMA providers operate on 800 MHz which has certain unique properties : its in-building penetration is far superior to 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz (the GSM bands in India). Further, the signal is propogated over a much longer distance , leading to better reception in areas which do not have many towers. On the other hand, 1800 MHz is much better for data services. Notice that Airtel data is much faster in Mumbai (where Airtel operates on the 1800 Mhz frequency) than in Delhi (where it operates on the 900 Mhz frequency). CDMA provides a much larger pipe than GSM and hence Reliance at 800 mHz offers the same speed as Airtel at 1800 Mhz.

This is strange... we have been told that CDMA phones emit less radiation. In fact Tata has advertised this fact in the past! Im sure many here know what Im talking about, so wont elaborate...

Furthermore, about CDMA phones heating up, FWIW, my old RD2030 used to get just slightly warm even after a 1 hr conversation! In fact GSM phones too warm up slightly when used for speaking that long ...so In my personal experience, the heat difference was hardly even noticable. So I guess it might have more to do with the quality/design of the individual phone, rather than the technology used...

As for batt life, yes, in my experience it seems that GSM phones have an edge here.

As far as Data services are concerned at this moment there is no match to EDGE services rendered by AIRTEL which is giving us than 247kbps (kbits per sec), similar to our basic Cablenet speed on mobile and on pc connected to mobile too. 247 kbps is officially declared by AIRTEL with technical guides and on thier website in technical details, do dont dare to disagree. We are already using it since many months here in Mumbai. This is possible due to superb EDGE support by Airtel both on EDGE phones and on EDGE USB DATA Cards. I use EDGE service from Airtel on my prepaid card with a Plan called mobile office which gives Rs.15 per day for Unlimited Download usage. Tests done with at least two download meters and from hundreds of website we get at least 23Kbyte/sec to 28Kbyte /sec of dowbload, including YouTube videos.

Technically EDGE can give upto 384 kbps if ISP provides to offer all 8 Edge channels (timeslots) of 48kbps each. But all of us know they wont give all features together and at the moment are offering only 5 timeslots at a time for download/upload.

Current version of CDMA 2000 by all three companies, Reliance/TATA/MTNL Garuda cannot give more than 144 kbps as officially declared by them. We all know the REAL SPEED of Internet thru CDMA units. They either dont connect and if connected dont last longer and very slow browsing is common problem. There is no near future plans by them to release new version of CDMA as they are busy in selling low-end mobiles to the mass (Rs.999 Color Classic) which is big market for them than Data users like us. VERY SOON YOU WILL SEE MR. ANIL AMBANI WITH HIS CLASSIC PHONES ON FOOTPATHS OF GIRGAUM CHOWPATTY SELLING THESE CLASSICS ON HIS HATHGAADI (THELAA).

EDGE IS WIDELY DISCUSSED/DEBATED AND FOUGHT AND KICKED EACH OTHERS ASSES BY TECHNICAL PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD >> <a href="http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=10509" target="_blank">http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=10509</a>

I suggest before answering me everyone please read this thread.

NOW DATA SERVICES. I use Airtel for my business since quiet a some time and as a business related to internet and also mobile phones, I have total NINE mobile connections from all the companies. I stopped using Reliance (my previous main number) only because of over heating of almost all models which we like to use. The main problem I faced a lot in Reliance is that the person calls from outside to us, he gets the engage tone and our phones are free. Or most of the times call is shown as started on phone but there is no voice for both parties. Many a times Network congestion occurs. No network in lifts and staircases even in commercial large passage buildings in Mumbai. Lack of modern mobiles in CDMA category, You never get your favourite model in CDMA. And there are more problems I dont remember at the moment. No roaming partnership between CDMA companies in remote areas. Once the CDMA signal dies there is no other CDMA operator there.

AFTER SWITCHING TO AIRTEL, BPL AND HUTCH (VADAPAV). I get signal in each and every corner of city, in elevators or any congested area. No heating experienced in any GSM models as yet. I can use all the PDAs, O2, Camera Phones with high resolutions and flash, Blackberry with EDGE speed rocks. Just try to see how EDGE works on Curve Blackberry, your jaws will drop out. Current models of reliance blackberry with cdma are costliest than general market and they will never give 144kbps like Airtel EDGE can give, non-disconnecting data flow. You can recieve calls when you are downloading, the speed of download will marginally drop as only one timeslot is used for Voice and remaining will keep working for Data. Calls never fail both outgoing or incoming. Blank Voice problem like Reliance/MTNL never existed in GSM areas. Never heard a single Network congestion messege in my whole usage time of several years on AIRTEL, trust me. Using motorola ming (unlocked and modded for edge) since more than a year and these kind of touchscreen models never still came in CDMA. ROAMING is just great with GMS, when you are in remote villages you find at least two GMS partners to take charge of your mobile. So you are never lost in jungle too. Airtel itself is widely spread all over India and have partnership in each corner of the country.

ANIL is not ready to upgrade his BRAIN so how we can expect they will upgrade in Technology too. "Classic jo bechnaa hai"

I MAY BE WRONG BUT THESE ARE MY OBSERVATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND VIEWS. AND ALL THIS IS APPLICABLE TO CURRENT (OCT 2007) PERIOD AND ARE APPLICABLE SINCE LAST 3 YEARS. I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN TOMORROW WITH CDMA. Lots of Technologies are ready to shoot in the market like WIFI PHONES/VOIP , 3G (data), WCDMA, and many more even the DVBH (tv on phone). Its simple thing, heavy features are available only when your Data Services Speed increases. Reliance is not adoptng any new tech like they adopted CDMA when they started. CDMA is came with its own drawbacks too. This forum is based on reliance so I am not giving anymore details of other techs and just comparing. I am not Reliance of CDMA hater, I still use it occassionally

I say thanks to RELIANCE for introducing that revolutionary INCOMING FREE thing when they launched and the whole system changed. NOTHING SPECIAL HAPPENED AFTER THAT. I still see people fighting over in reliance helpdesks and galleries for improper billings and service related issues. Many mobile repairers do not repair CDMA mobiles due to lack of spare parts and service centre supports. My younger bro is one of them.

So better think twice before you buy next new connection. o my gosh, i wrote whole big article just for the sake of gsm and cdma. :o

Edited by cmahendra

May be you are right.but in my experience in orissa cdma has better reach.my native place is situated in a far away place near chatisgarh boarder where there is no mobile service.as it is a hilly area surrounded by thick forest there is not even land line service available.so whenever i visit the place i used to switch off the phone.but once i forgot to do so and to my utter surprise i found signal there.the nearest reliance tower in orissa is 25 km away and is blocked by hills.so i checked the service area of the signal.it was from raigarh a town in chatisgarh about 30 km away.although i go into roaming,still i remain connected at such a remote place.so definitely cdma has longer reach.it is cheaper'regarding data speed,in Mumbai airtel uses the 1800 mhz band rather than 900 band,which is more suited for data transfer.ask anybody from delhi or any other place where airtel uses 900 band.there the speed is definitely slower even if edge is enabled there'reliance is using the 800 band and is able to give 144 kbps speed without any add on like edge.if it uses the 1800 band i think it's data speed will double without the use of any add on like evdo.edge is called 2.75 G.so we should not compare it with 2g.regarding call drop issue i shall only say that since 2002 i am using using reliance and have experienced congestion or drop on very rare occasions.voice quality is definitely better.call drops and network congestion is regular in all gsm networks.specially in the evening one may not get connection for hours in gsm networks.there are my observations based on my experience of 5 years of cdma usage.but it may vary circle to circle.so techies may throw more light on this.thanks

From the user's perspective, CDMA v. Gsm is only one issue. The other huge issue is the frequency band. Indian CDMA providers operate on 800 MHz which has certain unique properties : its in-building penetration is far superior to 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz (the GSM bands in India). Further, the signal is propogated over a much longer distance , leading to better reception in areas which do not have many towers. On the other hand, 1800 MHz is much better for data services. Notice that Airtel data is much faster in Mumbai (where Airtel operates on the 1800 Mhz frequency) than in Delhi (where it operates on the 900 Mhz frequency). CDMA provides a much larger pipe than GSM and hence Reliance at 800 mHz offers the same speed as Airtel at 1800 Mhz.

Thats not very thrue, CDMA on 450 mhz is far better than 800/1900 MHZ for data as well as voice. GSM and cdma data speed has to be different becuse of technological difference. GSM is old inefficient technology.

I feel suffcated in CDMA because of handsets but only voice quality and data connectivity all over India keeps me with CDMA. GSM go to small town and see the difference.

Current version of CDMA 2000 by all three companies, Reliance/TATA/MTNL Garuda cannot give more than 144 kbps as officially declared by them. We all know the REAL SPEED of Internet thru CDMA units. They either dont connect and if connected dont last longer and very slow browsing is common problem. There is no near future plans by them to release new version of CDMA as they are busy in selling low-end mobiles to the mass (Rs.999 Color Classic) which is big market for them than Data users like us. VERY SOON YOU WILL SEE MR. ANIL AMBANI WITH HIS CLASSIC PHONES ON FOOTPATHS OF GIRGAUM CHOWPATTY SELLING THESE CLASSICS ON HIS HATHGAADI (THELAA).

Whats wrong if thela wala uses mobile? This country is full of such peope and you and me are above them because they give us oppotunity to earn and we studied with government fnds because they did not asked for share. It is very derogatory comment, unfortunately they are more than 70% of our countyr and people like you think that they are burdeon on this country.

it seems that you are kind of person who do not like to be commented (I can say so from your previous mails) I am sorry but this is first time on forum I got angry at some ones view point. Because I dont like any one to be treated as second class citizen.

Your experiance about airtel seems to be absolutely biased or may be you are using it a place where you get good speed. If you read and ask people in US, they too are not hhappy with so called 3G of GSM. For real good data CDMA is best. GSM can be comparable when it swithces to WCDMA and once GSM switches to WCDMA handset options will be as limited as CDMA because of high royalties and patent issues.

After going thru your posts I tried airtel data conections and compared with reliance's but it is no way better than reliance infact patahtic, atleast in ahmedabad and else where in gujarat, bangalore and delhi (I checked these places)

Read this where airtel has said 100kbps or 40 kbps http://airtel.in/pdf/datacard.pdf

Here they say http://airtel.in/level2_t3data.aspx?path=1/106/179 247 kbps but as usual GSM speed is subject to network type and quality, CDMA 2000 (1X) means 144 kbps.

Perhaps you are one of those few in the world who accepts superiority of GSM for data over CDMA.

FYI, my treo 700 p connects to my computer as modem at 920 kbps doesnt mean it gives me 920 kbps speed

Edited by kshah

Sorry

Dialup #777 Suport Compression Technology so downloading Bitmap Pure HTML is far Faster even in Theoretical 144 or 80 kbps Pratical speed

I have HTC Touch and iPhone Both give 80 to 90 kbps at Max all over Nashik and average 40 to 50 kbps and Yeah EDGE dont Support Compression Technology.

Still i like EDGE as 15 a day for Unlimited use.

Then how come people are claiming 245 kbps? I too could not get more than 80kbps with almost double latency than CDMA (More than 1800 mS CDMA about 800-1100 ms)

Ofcourse price of unlimited plan per day is better than CDMA. But may be becauise of speed they re cheaper

As far as Data services are concerned at this moment there is no match to EDGE services rendered by AIRTEL which is giving us than 247kbps (kbits per sec),

Talk Pan India and not region-specific.

Reliance/TATA/MTNL Garuda cannot give more than 144 kbps as officially declared by them. We all know the REAL SPEED of Internet thru CDMA units. They either dont connect and if connected dont last longer and very slow browsing is common problem

Please dont generalise.Visit Delhi and you would know what I am talking about.Airtel s**ks here big time.Its the worst provider here with Vodafone.Even Idea and MTNL do better than them.I use MTNL,Idea and Reliance and I must say I find Idea's net speed far better than Airtel which doea not even provide pc conectivity to its prepaid users in Delhi.

VERY SOON YOU WILL SEE MR. ANIL AMBANI WITH HIS CLASSIC PHONES ON FOOTPATHS OF GIRGAUM CHOWPATTY SELLING THESE CLASSICS ON HIS HATHGAADI (THELAA).

Its a sad mentality.Period!

I faced a lot in Reliance is that the person calls from outside to us, he gets the engage tone and our phones are free. Or most of the times call is shown as started on phone but there is no voice for both parties

You might have used some defective sets.Alternatively you could have contacted Reliance comm with the problems and also you should have checked if such problem was with you or with the other people in the same locality as well.

ANIL is not ready to upgrade his BRAIN so how we can expect they will upgrade in Technology too. "Classic jo bechnaa hai"

Again sad mentality.I wont be proud of myself using such a language against a highly successful business man.

I still see people fighting over in reliance helpdesks and galleries for improper billings and service related issues

I must inform you that all companies face such problems and not just Reliance.If you think this is a problem only with Reliance I would suggest you better visit www.mouthshut.com