Opinion Poll Between Different Operating Systems

Opinion Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS do you prefer?

• Windows XP SP2/3
    • Vista SP1
    • Any Linux Distribution

Just to know which OS is more comfortable for 'RIMWEB'ians

XP SP3 anyday, man. Full compatibility with everything. Less chances of entering the monolpolistic attitude where you will start paying for everything, which Vista is ultimately leading to a-la apple.

WIN XP SP2

SP3 has some problems like file and setting transfer wizard and some how I felt slow system.

Linux I am unable to understand yet.

XP to me. I tried Linux many times, but each time it's one thing or the another that leads me to change it. For example, I have one really old pc (guess Celeron <2 or even 1.5ghz,and 256MB RAM), and I wanted to use it just for viewing movies. I installed the puppylinux (it being one of the lightest linux distri), but still the movies were not smooth. I installed XP, increased page file, got KMP and voila! Even the MKV files are playing smoothly. I am having a bit problem with playing RMVB files, so OT any help regarding that :) ?

Initial replays shows every one loves XP!!!!!!

But the same fate, which "Toyota Qualis" faced years back, is happened to XP.

Now Windows XP is dead and no longer available from 30/06/2008, and they will stop soon all assistance and updates to their XP consumers!!!

Also the successor to vista is being developed and will expected to come out 2010, which can be installed whole operating system within 10 minutes !! a multi-touch interface has already been demonstrated

anyhow I am using XP and Vista simultaneously. For accessing web I am using Vista because of its enriched security

Edited by spknair

XP with SP2 for me is still very comfortable. Not yet tried SP3, will post later on. As for the others, no idea as I haven't tried yet...

I use vista and xp . have used ubuntu in the past. will install it again in a few days

WIN XP SP2

SP3 has some problems like file and setting transfer wizard and some how I felt slow system.

Linux I am unable to understand yet.

does anyone experienced any problem with XP SP3, as mentioned earlier?

In my view there is no problems faced yet. SP3 RC had many problems which they corrected in their final version

I am comfortable with both Windows and Linux. But due to the need for some programs that work exclusively on Windows I use more of that than Linux. Till last month I was using Windows XP SP2 but now changed over to Windows Vista. Not faced any compatibility problem with any programs I use. :)

Edited by srk006

No probs at all with SP3 (at least for me). Installed in at least 6-7 of my computers.

XP SP2 for me. Tried Vista for 2-3 months a year ago and switched back to XP SP2.

Did not try XP SP3.

Regards

MG

winxp . .am stick to it since its launch and have no plans to shell out to any other OS . . dunno know why!?

Well, my dear friends, I love Vista and prefer Vista only. Never thought to revert back to XP for any reason.

Regards.

voted for XP SP2 though I use Ubuntu (linux) more often now... wonders of a dual boot laptop !

Windows XP is better anyday. Its been here for a long while now and all websites/hardwares/softwares are compatible with it. But Vista has been a disaster with respect to compatibility. Also, it uses too much of system resources and slows down the system. A 2GB RAM in Vista would give the same speed as a 512 MB RAM in XP.

Edited by rajat8676

Gentoo + Beryl or Compiz for network related stuff and general everyday work

and WinXP Primarily for win32 application development and gaming.

Going to try vista only for the need of DX10 else i'd say compiz / beryl beat the crap out of it [ :D ]

Windows XP is better anyday. Its been here for a long while now and all websites/hardwares/softwares are compatible with it. But Vista has been a disaster with respect to compatibility. Also, it uses too much of system resources and slows down the system. A 2GB RAM in Vista would give the same speed as a 512 MB RAM in XP.

You concept is right in case of RAM. In my experience 95% of my applications have no compatibility issue. We can use most of old applications by changing compatibility mode in file properties. Sure, oldest programs will not work (Oldest not Older). If you have a fast computer then Vista is the right choice, is it?