Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ace_mobius

Enabling Gps In Htc Tp Cdma

Hello,

I just recently bought HTC TP from Sadik last week and I take this oppurtunity to thank Sadik for he did all the required settings in the phone to enable Internet connectivity.

Now I require the GPS functionality and when I tried accessing it via the Google maps, it keeps searching for satellites and finally gives a message saying "Weak GPS Signal" and says that my GPS reciever is having trouble tracking GPS satellites.

I keep the "Data Connection" ON while Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connections are kept OFF and the ROM is Mighty ROM & WM 6.5. My GPS settings are:

- Managed by Windows

- COM0

In one of posts from Dhiraj, he had mentioned that "For Sprint original rom kindly also install HP_GPS.cab before running destinator (download from Sprint Original ROM topic) and also ensure that GPS is activated in QPST as per dummies guide". Now can somebody guide me:

- on what is QPST

- whether I need install HP_GPS.cab (also from where will i get this cab file) and

- how to get my GPS working

Thanking everyone in advance.

Anant Iyer

GPS has nothing to do with internet as also wifi and blutooth.

Make sure you are under the open sky, have the latest rom and it should be good. If you have quick GPS installed and updated all the more better.

Dont try that cab file on Pro; thats for mogul only... no settings in qpst are also needed for Pro...

As tanveer says stand under open sky and GPS will latch on within a minute or so...

If you use WiFi, use that to update your QuickGPS Program given under programs so that your GPS latches on faster... after that I even latch on to 8-9 satellites indoors (on 1st Floor)...

Dont change any default settings in Pro regarding GPS as its fully activated. Just make sure you use the latest version of google maps and first use GPS with that, then with any other program (for first time GPS latching only)...

copy this cab to ur internal storage and install it

then run it from programs. this is a test file to show fixes and gps accessibility.

also do not forget to update quck gps (in prog) before u run this test.

GPSTest.ppc.CAB

no need to install anything

gps is enabled by default

just install any navigational software and thats all

to check ur latitude and longitude

type ##debug# and select gps

Friends, i tried almost everything that you all have mentioned and here are my observations:

- As Nitin had mentioned, I installed GPSTest and the window shows "GPS Starting up", and FIX is ID & HDOP is 50.00. It remains like this over over 3-4 mins under open sky. Does it take longer than that for first time setup?

- Regarding QuickGPS, whenever I press the download button, the progress bar shows the download is in progress and when it almost reaches 100% it gives an error message saying "Connection Failed. Please try again later". I tried the downloading directly as well as via PC, but I get the same error message.

I am going to Mumbai over the weekend.. Let me see if I can get the gps working either in the expressway or in Mumbai.. Will then update..

which data plan are u using ? RMW or net connect

go to settings > connections my isp > manage existing connections > press the my connection > u get option to delete / connect , click on connect.

once connected, try to update the quick gps

if this doesnot work, try the same procedure by connecting with RMW.

Dont use debug. That messed up my GPS; now I cant download through QuickGPS through wifi as I was able to earlier...

quick gps is the most lousy bit of application i have come across.

if u keep on updating it before the expiry, it works fine. once its expires, updating becomes a big issue. Doesnt update thru wifi or active sync. i was able to solve the issue by connecting thru stand alone RMW.

yes, mine is also now only downloading data through rel mobileworld; earlier it was downloading through both wifi and rel connections... though gps is working perfectly but this small irritant has cropped up... I used only wifi to download quickgps....

##debug# has nothing to do with this

its just a debugger which shows u whats going on in the handset

as far as quick gps is concerned , for me it never works properly over wifi

it works fine over data and active sync

for me it works on wifi only if i have got satellitle information thru data or active sync

if my satellite data is expired i cant use wifi

besides its more imp that it works over ur data connection as compared to wifi

how many of us are in wifi hotspots all the time??

a few kbs of data for quickgps over relmobileworld isnt a bad deal

It logically has nothing to do with this, but it certainly did cause the problem. Maybe its an issue with QuickGPS and not debug. So I would advice people to use debug only after connection to a GPS signal has been established, and not to ascertain why GPS is not connecting...

Change COMM-0 to COMM-4 and reboot.

Do not change anything else.

Thereafter update quickgps through activasync and you should be good to go.

Sorry for updating after a long interval.. Had some family emergency, albeit a good one :)

Now @ Dr. Muf, as per your suggestion, I tried to go into the debug mode by typing ##33284# and it goes into the "FieldTrial" and asks for a password. I spoke with Sadik and he gave me a suggestion to use a default password "000000" but that did not work. So how to go into the debug mode and what could be the default password?

@ Dhiraj, i have been trying various means and methods to get the gps fix, but its simply not working.. Will re-installation of the ROM work?

@ Santanu, GPS is using COM-4..

Facing the same problem... Quick GPS just does not update and if I try to use GPS in Google Maps, it gives me a long error message: GPS Connection Error. No GPS reciever was found, etc.

Sorry for updating after a long interval.. Had some family emergency, albeit a good one :)

Now @ Dr. Muf, as per your suggestion, I tried to go into the debug mode by typing ##33284# and it goes into the "FieldTrial" and asks for a password. I spoke with Sadik and he gave me a suggestion to use a default password "000000" but that did not work. So how to go into the debug mode and what could be the default password?

@ Dhiraj, i have been trying various means and methods to get the gps fix, but its simply not working.. Will re-installation of the ROM work?

@ Santanu, GPS is using COM-4..

^

You have messed up the rom by either adding too many softwares or changing the wrong settings. I too had a similar problem when I inadvertently used the debug tool; I solved the issue by hard resetting my device... and have since upgraded to the latest rom...

Who was that for Dhiraj? Me? I just have SPB Mobile Shell, the latest version. Haven't used debug or any such tool.

^

You have messed up the rom by either adding too many softwares or changing the wrong settings. I too had a similar problem when I inadvertently used the debug tool; I solved the issue by hard resetting my device... and have since upgraded to the latest rom...

sometimes things happen inadvertently.... without one's knowing.... spb mobile shell is a ramshackle software specially ver. 3; I suggest you hard reset after taking proper backup; that should restore your gps back... BTW spb mobile shell and tf3d dont go together well; u should use spb mobile shell only on roms without tf3d.....

Edited by dkaile

Dhiraj, for me the GPS functionality was not working right from the time I received the handset from Sadikk. Of course now that I have the handset for over 2 weeks, I have installed various applications.

I'll now uninstall all the softwares which I have installed, do a hard-reset and then find out if the GPS is working. Thanks for the pointers :)

^

Hard reset after taking proper bacakup or even better reflash with the new Sprint Rom Ver 2 MR for Pro (link given in my signature).... and your GPS and everything else will be up and running.... but remember reflash with sprint rom only if u r on a sprint htc pro device otherwise for verizon etc. follow process first to unlock as given on ppcgeeks...

BTW spb mobile shell and tf3d dont go together well; u should use spb mobile shell only on roms without tf3d.....

RUN TOUCHFLO 3D AND SPB MOBILE SHELL 3 AND CLASSIC TODAY ALL TOGETHER @ XDA.

check the demo at

so here is the method

What you Need:

1. Second Today

2. MS3 Toggler

What to do:

Basically we are going to use Second Today to switch between Touchflo 3d and classic today screen, and also to remap the soft keys to switch between

1. TF3D and Classic

2. TF3D and MS3

3. Classic and MS3

Step 1: Firstly the problem is that MS3 loads at start up and overides TF3D. Therefore go to Program files on your device and make a backup of the file MobileShell and then delete it (alternatively you could just cut and paste it somewhere else like i did). This prevents MS3 from booting on startup.

Step 2: install second Today.

Step 3: Install MS3 Toggler (this allows you to toggle between MS3 and TF3D)

Step 4: Do a soft reset.

Step 5: Touchflo 3d should be launched on startup, if it is not then go into the today settings and enable it.

Step 6: go into the setting of Second Today and go to the Soft Keys Tab.

From here enter the title to whatever you want eg second today or today. chose the left or right soft key and select second today and then click apply to registry. now do the same but select manilla 3d.

now choose the other soft key and enter a title eg SPB. then click the 3 dots and go to Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SPB Mobile Shell and select [Toggle SPB Mobile Shell]. and select Second today and then do the same for manilla 3D.

Step 7: Do another soft reset.

Now you should be able to switch between classic today and touchflo and classic today and mobile shell and touch flo and mobile shell.

Now you have the best of all 3 worlds.

ms3togglersetup.cab

SecondToday.CAB

^

not worth it nitin.... better to shift to a 6.5 based rom.... also, if u must, then install the latest version MS i.e. 3.5 and not MS3.....

Edited by dkaile

i downloaded mobile shell but found it worthless in front of TF3D

older mobiles may be benefited with this shell, but its useless for newer mobiles like TD or TP, TP2.

the only think i liked in SPB mobile shell was the carousel, nothing more.

i downloaded mobile shell but found it worthless in front of TF3D

older mobiles may be benefited with this shell, but its useless for newer mobiles like TD or TP, TP2.

the only think i liked in SPB mobile shell was the carousel, nothing more.

Yes...I have similar view...TF3D is better than SBP mobile shell...

Finally!!! :) I have got my GPS up and running and that too without having to do a hard reset. The issue was a really simple as I had not enabled the Location Settings to be ON. By default, this option seems to kept at OFF.

Ankit, (and for others who are still having problem in updating QuickGPS or if they are not getting a satellite fix) please view this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=445696

I think this should fix the problem.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me fix this issue.

• Like 1