Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
baluburhan

Broadband+plus Wireless To Connect 2 Remote Computers

Hi All,

has someone given this a try.

i wish to connect 2 remote computers (could be in same city) using 2 broadband +(3.1mbps speed) to synchronise a database. Does it allow inbound data connection and is the connection and speed persistent enough? Does reliance provide static IP for broadband+ usb dongle?

The chain would be PC1--USBBroadband+dongle---RelianceNetwork---USBBroadband+dongle--PC2.

Thanks

Hi All,

has someone given this a try.

i wish to connect 2 remote computers (could be in same city) using 2 broadband +(3.1mbps speed) to synchronise a database. Does it allow inbound data connection and is the connection and speed persistent enough? Does reliance provide static IP for broadband+ usb dongle?

The chain would be PC1--USBBroadband+dongle---RelianceNetwork---USBBroadband+dongle--PC2.

Thanks

well i can't comment on the reliability of the speed. since you won't be getting the static IP so you have to use some or other software or tunnel to achieve the functionality that you want. in case you have any problem in that you can contact me for such setup

I have used this for ssh/vnc/ftp etc. and it works fine.

Static IPs are not given for these USB dongles but there are many workarounds for that, including using dynamic dns or just running a script which uploads 1st PCs assigned IP in a text file to some website or ftp server from where the other PC downloads the IP and then connects to that IP.

Connection is quite persistent and has never broken off for me so IP remains same for a long time. Also if system quickly reconnects then most of the time the same IP is assigned again.

Speed is obviously very good compared to the earlier 1X usb cards or pcmcia cards though it depends on how much data you have to transfer. I had some issues with uploading very large file sizes (50mb+) some time back though the same amount of data in smaller files was still going through. But it may have been just be an isolated case as there's no reasons for this happening.

• Like 1

There is option for incoming connection with xp & vista. Once activated on host computer you can connect two computers over VPN with PPTS protocol which is secured also.

There is option for incoming connection with xp & vista. Once activated on host computer you can connect two computers over VPN with PPTS protocol which is secured also.

Incoming connection doesn't seem to work with these usb modems or even through the cell phones as they don't act like normal modems connected to land lines where one computer dials the other phone number and the remote computer picks up the call and they are connected as if on a null modem cable. With the cdma/gsm phones/modems only internet based connections work where both PCs can get their IP and then you can do vpn/ssh or whatever.

Thanks a lot Amitabh,

Just wondering whether MS SQL server to server merge replication could work thru this medium. Assume that IP variation is worked around with and signal strength and location is good. What is the practical speed achievable. Thanks again. baluburhan at gmail

I have used this for ssh/vnc/ftp etc. and it works fine.

Static IPs are not given for these USB dongles but there are many workarounds for that, including using dynamic dns or just running a script which uploads 1st PCs assigned IP in a text file to some website or ftp server from where the other PC downloads the IP and then connects to that IP.

Connection is quite persistent and has never broken off for me so IP remains same for a long time. Also if system quickly reconnects then most of the time the same IP is assigned again.

Speed is obviously very good compared to the earlier 1X usb cards or pcmcia cards though it depends on how much data you have to transfer. I had some issues with uploading very large file sizes (50mb+) some time back though the same amount of data in smaller files was still going through. But it may have been just be an isolated case as there's no reasons for this happening.

Yes, server replication/merge will work. Speed is usually around 1Mbits/s i.e 128-150Kbytes/s so 1MB file will take around 8 seconds to go through. Speed can be more also but this is usually the minimum.

If you're on windows you can try www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.com to manage the IP issue. The service will give you a client which will keep reporting the IP to the website so you can always connect to a url for eg no-ip.com/pc1 and no-ip.com/pc2 which will always redirect to the current IPs.

If you're on linux then use the same service or simply run a script to get ip (ifconfig) and push it (ftp or wget) to some free webspace in a text file (for eg. freespace.com/ip.txt) on connection start and get the other PC to fetch this file from that url on connection start. Then you can make a ssh tunnel if reqd for security.

Thanks a lot Amitabh,

Just wondering whether MS SQL server to server merge replication could work thru this medium. Assume that IP variation is worked around with and signal strength and location is good. What is the practical speed achievable. Thanks again. baluburhan at gmail