Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sadikk

Global Warming....

Alright guys.. I need cheapest solution for burning Bulk DVDs..

I am making 100 for start.. and will chain it later..

from now on all my customers/Friends/Family will receive one DVD with High Definition Blue Ray Disk ripped Movie :HOME" in it.. and little request to share the DVD or even burn and distribute to more people who care..  (remember its free to distribution, No copy right issue)

For me helping hands are better than praying lips..

Awesome idea! I had received a free CD from some organization (IIRC it was PETA) and I tried distributing it to few friends... the reactions were funny. One of them saw the whole CD and dismissed it by saying that such things don't really happen in India... and they are bred for eating anyway... The other one saw it for like 2 mins and could not bear to see anymore. But nonetheless continues to be non-veg. He just prefers to close his eyes to what happens behind the scenes to bring him his chicken dishes in restaurants. So even after seeing such a "ghastly" documentary (I couldn't sleep well, the 1st time I saw it) many will dismiss it or many not see it beyond a couple of minutes.   :NOTriste:  But still its really good that some of us try to bring the ghastly reality into people's faces.

Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy. Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search.

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen."

I have a gut feeling that DEVELOPED countries R NOT HELPING DEVELOPING COUNTRIES IN GETTING CLEAN TECH in-spite of paying a lot more than the need & furthermore they hamper any development in clean tech by developing countries.

thats my personal view!!!!!

I feel that all the developing countries should form a new consortium D-xx (something something like G-8) & put pressure on the developed countries to sell clean tech to consortium countries, if they didn't get decision their way then they themselves should put money in developing Clean tech.

wat do other forum members think about this?

Developing nations are deliberately becoming victim of developed nation. Developing nation must remember that they are doing all dirty job for developed nation. Its developing nations who behave like pet dog. Wigging tail as soon as they see petty amount of green currency. Why developed nation bother about developing nation? If economies of developing nation remain dependent on G8 then certainly they are in a driving seat and exactly that is what is required by them.

Historically, which developed nation had population and market when they became from poor -> developing -> developed nation?? They worked hard and created domestic market. Now we have been taught that export market only can make us from developing > developed market. What a myth it is.

I know a global sales head of one of the leading textile mill of Ahmedabad which manufactures atleast 30 major brands of readymades and jeans. You will be surprised to note that according to him, their company make less than 50% profit compared to Indian operation ffor same given turn over. Still they export because they want to take benefit of incetives offered by Government, this clearly indicate that we are loosing our own domestic money. According to him no shirt (Sold in India for atleast Rs. 1800) cost more than US $ 8 in export. No garment exported by his company cost more than US $ 8 :Decepcionado:

So just for paltry sums we degenrate our environment.

• Like 1

^^^ As they say in movie zeitgeist addendum.. 90% of worlds population doing slavery for 10% worlds richest...

Still they export because they want to take benefit of incetives offered by Government, this clearly indicate that we are loosing our own domestic money.

So just for paltry sums we degenrate our environment.

Me too of the belief that the Country's natural resources are wasted/spent when exported.

This whole concept of Govts being Foreign Exchange crazy & inturn handing over sops to exporters baffles me..

Although we must agree that we do fulfill our country's necessities by Importing Oil & Capital goods (which brought about the industrial revolution).. Forex is required for Importing both of these extremely important products else any Developing Country would be paralyzed..

But why allow export of essential commoties, metals, cement etc.

China has been buying Iron/Steel from all parts of the world & look how Beijing now stands.. its built !

Whereas we struggle to buy own houses due to rising input cost ?

Global warming may become global cooling this century

London: A leading analyst has claimed that global warming is set to become global cooling this century, with temperatures falling by about 0.5 degree Celsius by the year 2050.

According to a report in Daily Express, the analyst in question is Professor Michael Beenstock from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, who said that theories of climate change are wrong.

He warned that climatologists have misused statistics, leading them to the mistaken conclusion global warming is evidence of the greenhouse effect.

He told London's Cass Business School that the link between rising greenhouse gas emissions and rising temperatures is "spurious", adding, "The greenhouse effect is an illusion."

Professor Beenstock said that just because greenhouse gases and temperatures have risen together does not mean they are linked.

He claims that the real cause of rising temperatures is the sun, which he says is at its hottest for over 1,000 years, but is "beginning to stabilize".

"If the sun's heat continues to remain stable, and if carbon emissions continue to grow with the rate of growth of the world economy, global temperatures will fall by about 0.5C by 2050," Professor Beenstock said.

Citing predictions by climatologists in the 1970s of a new Ice Age, Professor Beenstock said, "I predict that climatologists will look equally foolish in the years to come. Indeed, it may be already happening."

At 65, this woman is leading quiet revolution to promote cloth bags

VADODARA: At a time when environmentalists are deliberating about issues related to global warming, a 65-year-old woman from the city decided to act rather than debate. Kalpana Bhatt, a resident of Vasna Road, began a quiet revolution about three months ago to discourage usage of plastic bags. Bhatt started promoting usage of cloth bags among citizens who frequent shops to buy groceries and other items.

She first zeroed in on a shop near her home and approached the owner for buying cloth bags made by her. Bhatt sold the cloth bags to the Farm Fresh shop located on Vasna Road at the cost of plastic bags. And, her efforts have started producing results as more than 100 persons have started using the cloth bags regularly in her area. "It was in November last year that I struck upon this idea of spreading awareness about usage of cloth bags. I used to see people carry monthly provisions in plastic bags from a shop near my home. I thought that I should start promoting usage of cloth bags among these people," Bhatt told TOI.

But, it wasn't an easy path for Bhatt and owner of Farm Fresh as they faced resistance from customers. "People initially refused to pay small amount for cloth bags and insisted for plastic ones. But, I started standing at the shop and convinced the customers to use cloth bags that can be reused. After lot of pep talk, people finally started accepting cloth bags," added 65-year-old Bhatt, who is a housewife.

Bhatt also provides cloth bags to two other shops in the vicinity. She first collects old clothes and garments from houses in her area and then makes colourful bags out of them. "I have hired a few girls from the slums in our area who stitch the bags for a fee. Every bag costs about Rs 3.50, but I supply it at the cost of plastic bags to owner of Farm Fresh Yogesh Maaru as he was the first one to accept my idea."

"People earlier used to make excuses and refused to take the cloth bags. But now the mindset has changed and most of my customers use cloth bags," said Maaru. Bhatt said she wants people to adopt any one shop in their own area and promote usage of cloth bags. "I don't want to lead any revolution. I want that people should do it in their own areas and spread the idea of avoiding usage of plastic bags," Bhatt clarified.

A greener way to waste disposal

PUNE: The civic body may be in the dock for continuing to dump garbage at Urali and Phursungi, but a handful of senior citizens have shown the way to 35 lakh Puneites to effectively utilise kitchen and garden waste for a fruitful purpose.

Sixty-year-old Prasad Naik, Vijaya Atre and Dattatray Joglekar (both 66) were awarded for making best pots, best beds (vegetable patch on the terrace) and best quality compost respectively by the Institute of Natural Organic Agriculture. These people have been making their own vermiculture and compost pits for over two decades now and these awards were in recognition of their efforts to grow plants using minimum soil and water sans chemicals.

"I haven't used any chemical in my garden for the last five years. And the results are there for everyone to see," said Atre. Neat rows of potted plants, trees and hung pots with cascading greens make a curtain as thick as it is picturesque. Atre believes that her effort is noteworthy for the fact that her pots make minimum use of soil and water. "I use moss, rice husk, coir, compost fertiliser and vermiculture (gendul khat). The plants not only live, they thrive and necessitate the use of very little water. In today's time it isn't enough to garden; you must garden judiciously. All it takes is a little time and thought," she says.

Separate pits for vermiculture and compost dot her garden. While the former consists of earthworms and wet waste, the latter utilises garden waste and a special culture that speedens up the process of decomposting. Little things add up. "Segregate and dispose off kitchen waste very day. That way you won't feel squeamish about it. The only thing I throw away is glass and plastic," she says.

Dattatray Joglekar's pretty little vegetable patch on the terrace consists of a host of seasonal vegetables -- nourished only by vermiculture and compost fertiliser.

The idea of making his own natural fertiliser sprang from the dead leaves and foliage generated by the 11 big trees surrounding their garden. "It takes a bit of effort, but the results are worth it: delicious, healthy vegetables unmarred by harmful pesticides," he says. "And they utilise minimum soil. On a bed of plastic, you first spread half-done compost fertiliser, topped by an inch or two of soil. From cherry tomatoes and tomatoes, to green chillies, brinjal, cabbage and cauliflower to pumpkin, I grow different vegetables depending on the season," he adds.

That's not all. The Joglekars have soap pits on all sides of the bathroom so that the soap water generated from the bathroom washing and cleaning may be used for watering the plants. "This is a fine way to recycle water," he adds.

Similarly, Prasad Naik, who was felicitated for the best quality of compost--adjudged by the fine state of his small but flourishing garden, says he makes use of empty mango crates and other throwaway fruit baskets for fertiliser. "I chop the kitchen waste finely before putting it in. It speedens up the process. Similarly the more fibrous material like stems that take time to decompose is put in a separate clay pot with a decomposting medium," he shares. "In these difficult times, every citizen must do his/her bit for the environment by making the most out of waste."

The natural way to gardening

-Use turmeric and asafoetida for treating plant decays

-Presence of mustard plants amongst other plants will help ward off mosquitoes

-Adding neem leaves to the vermiculture pit will add to its medicinal value

-- Organic over inorganic fertilisers anyday

--- Don't throw away water that has been used for boiling eggs. Wait for it to cool down first and then pour it into a potted plant. Ditto with used tea leaves and water used for washing vegetables and dals

----Vermiculture pits are often vulnerable to rats and bandicoots. Use rat poison--but keep the family cat/dog away from it

------Old Nirmalya (flowers and fruit offered to the Gods) can be alternated with soil in a closed container for compost fertiliser

---Recycle your bathroom water for your plants

--- Empty fruit crates can be used as compost pits

MCD's bright idea

In a bid to conserve energy, the civic agency launches the country's first remote-controlled streetlights

It's quite a turn-on. The MCD has decided to do its bit for the environment by adopting a remote-controlled street lighting system. Which means the streets of Delhi would light up automatically at dusk and it would be lights-out after sunrise. And, the system is sub-geography specific, so south Delhi wouldn't waste unnecessary power when it's dusk only in Noida.

All the lights are individually monitored and controlled from a central server. In the event of a fault, an SMS is directly sent to the maintenance staff for speedy and timely action.

The system provides the report of operative and non-operative lamps on the roads. That's not all; this intelligent system can also detect any theft of power from the feeders.

"The system is based on GSM and GPRS on which the mobiles work. While the system eliminates manual or timer-based operation of street lights, the lights are automatically turned on and off according to the sunrise and sunset time of the geographic locations, which in turn is doing energy conservation and reduces CO2 emissions. The operation of streetlights is managed from a central station," said municipal commissioner KS Mehra.

MCD is upgrading the streetlights in two phases. The first phase covering 101 km has been successfully completed. In the ongoing second phase, 157 km are to be covered. The entire cost incurred in the project is Rs 32 lakh.

"Each feeder pillar powering approximately 70-80 lights is controlled by a device that has a SIM with GPRS connectivity installed. The system also facilities auto-remote metering of the energy consumption, thus eliminating manual meter reading," informed Mehra.

The system also monitors the power quality, power factor, frequency and energy expenditure. Also the device can trip the lights during ultra high or low voltages thus saving the lamps from failures.

The lights can be simultaneously turned on or off during bad weather or poor traffic conditions. Phase-II is scheduled to be complete by the end of May, 2010.

Highlights

101 km In Phase-I, which consists of 52 roads with width of 80 feet or more

157 km To be covered in Phase-II, which consists of 107 roads with width of 80 feet or more; about 45 km completed and about 23 km will be completed by the year end.