Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
hovs

R-Connect Problems

:'(

It is beleived that the more the service providers, the better and cheaper will be the service. Unfortunately, this seems to be proving totally false.

I use a LG RD2030 handset. I have purchased the R-conncet cable and s/w as soon as they were available in the market. It was a disappointment as the spped was never even near to the promised 115 kbps. The maximum speed I got is 11kbps. They replied that the spped can be upto 115kbps whereas they cannot guarantee any minimum speed.

Fine - Probably we are not destined to have cheap and fast acces to the net.

SHOCK The instrument displays "Dormant" whenever there is no data transfer to or from the web. It gets automatically connected at its own will. Thus a call is registered to your account even if you have not disconnected. It keeps connecting and "dormant" at its own volition.

I have discovered other problems as well and I will write about them shortly. :o

firstly, i want to confirm whether u r aware that 115 kbps stands for 115 kilobits per second. That means 115 kilobits per sec = 14.375 kilobytes per second.

So if u have got 11kilobytes speed... thts like great !!!

Ok another thing, that i have also noted with lg2030 is that when the connection is established for Internet, as soon as a page completely loads, the call is disconnected and when u click on something else, the call connects again.... so does that mean, if one page takes say 25 secs to load, the call disconnects but u r charged for 1 min complete??

is that wht u were trying to say hovs??? and what were the other problems u've found?

well i use R-connect form begining and always get 14 to 15 kbps.. speed and this is very good compared to any Dial-up service and at the dial-up rates this speed is very good.(5 Time faster to dial-up).

SHOCK The instrument displays "Dormant" whenever there is no data transfer to or from the web. It gets automatically connected at its own will.

if u have opened yahoo,msn messangers etc. then they automatically demand connection so it will connect automatically. and if u don't want that then disconnect. it so simple.

hovs sent me a PM... here it is... I just want to make it public so that other members can benefit from the conversation...

The speed of kbps stands for kilobits is known to me. May be I was wrong in assuming it as  Kilobytes because they were using the term broadband so frequently. However, what I stated was the maximum speed that I noticed when downloading Realplayer at a particular instant probably under the most ideal conditions as I generally have time to browse only in the late night except on holidays.

The shock is not only that you are billed for one minute even if theconnection is not "Dormant"  for only a fraction of a minute but also your credit of 400 minutes is subtracted by that one call. I have brought it to their notice quite some time back but there had been no meaningful reply.

hovs

Yeps, hovs the speed wouldn't be more than 14-15 kbytes. and if u get around 11.. thts fair enuf.. n i think 11 is damn cool... am on Lan based cable network and i get 5kb download and 2 kb upload speeds :wacko: and tht too in MUMBAI ! so u are far better.... well u were right in saying that probs we are not destined to get better speeds as of yet... T1 and 10 mbps is like a distant dream... maybe my children might have it :o

yeps... ur internet usage is used up from the 400 mins... and thts the biggest drawback. coz i wud rather make STD RIM to RIM calls in those 400 mins rather than using it in for Internet! But dude, thts just marketing, and they have to play all these cards, otherwise ppl like u and me wud eat them away.... now do u realise why TATA doesn't venture into such things... Reliance atleast provides the service but plays it safe.. :'(

Tht Dormant term of urs here.. is still not understandable by me... are u still meaning wht i meant in my earlier post... or r u trying to make a different point here?

yeps... ur internet usage is used up from the 400 mins... and thts the biggest drawback. coz i wud rather make STD RIM to RIM calls in those 400 mins rather than using it in for Internet! But dude, thts just marketing, and they have to play all these cards, otherwise ppl like u and me wud eat them away....

By default the r-connect usage is used up from your 400 minutes.

But Reliance does give you a option:

You can have your r-connect calls calculated outside the 400 minutes by reuqesting in *333.

The changes will effective from your next billing cycle... :'(

R-connect is cool...!!

Excellent facility provided by reliance. Regarding the charges which they take (from a DAPO user) are not bad. Even the speed is pretty cool. And the best thing is the time for connection (1-2 seconds) which is I guess fastest among all the isps in india.

At least reliance gives us the facility...the other cell cos have been eating up the market since years and yet are unable to provide the facility...

jigar

It was a disappointment as the spped was never even near to the promised 115 kbps. The maximum speed I got is 11kbps. They replied that the spped can be upto 115kbps whereas they cannot guarantee any minimum speed.

Hovs...

115Kbps as given by reliance is its Bandwidth. Bandwidth does not depict its downloading rate. B/w of dial up is 33 Kbps where downloading rate achieved max is 3 Kbps.

I too use its r-connect and i get d/l rates of 10-15 kbps which is fair enough. I ve got cable connection at home which too offers same downloading rate.

I am a student of engg and staying far away from home town, in a rural place where no isps are there but we do have a reliance network there. So, for ppl like me its boon.

The instrument displays "Dormant" whenever there is no data transfer to or from the web. It gets automatically connected at its own will. Thus a call is registered to your account even if you have not disconnected. It keeps connecting and "dormant" at its own volition.

Well, this problem of urs is right. The first time I connected by rconnect i got thru this problem. This problem occurs when 'INSTEAD OF DISCONNECTING BY THE DIALER...U DISCONNECT BY PRESSING THE END BUTTON ON THE MOBILE'. That is a simple software error which will be rectified in future upgradations.

Jigar

as I understand the "dormant" is like "stand by" in pc's etc., it will be continuously

hearing for the user requests otherwise it keeps the overhead between the handset

and tower to the minimum.

As far as the charges are concerned Reliance is coming up with some other options

Rs 200 + 40p/min

Rs 500 (X MB /month free up&download ) + 40 p/min thereafter

Rs 1000 (Y MB /month free up&download ) + 40 p/min thereafter

amn't sure about X, Y values but may be 100,250 respectively. correct me if i am wrong.

So they want to make sure that you pay up some min amount irrespective of your usage.

On the otherhand I read a news article saying that MTNL was offering charges

/MB down(up)load so they will calculate your total data input and output size from your pc <-> server and they will charge you. fair enough. had requested reliance

for similar one. Instead of Rs 200 fixed they can always charge Rs X / MB where they is transparancy.

regards

sai subha

Plan Name----Monthly-----Per min charge-----Max data-----------Additional Data

--------------Charge (Rs)--------------------exchanged/mon---------exchange

Gold--------------1000------------------NIL-----------------250MB--------------------Rs10/Mb

Silver--------------500------------------NIL-----------------100MB--------------------Rs10/Mb

From: http://www.relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/html/...f_rconnect.html

Rs 200 + 40p/min

Rs 500 (X MB /month free up&download ) + 40 p/min thereafter

Rs 1000 (Y MB /month free up&download ) + 40 p/min thereafter

The charges for data exchange after the plan limit are not .40 /min but Rs 10/mb..

Plans are good for ppl who dont have much downloads...

i think the table ashok has given gives all the necessary details.

in the 200 plan u have to pay 40 ps per minute

in the other plan its for the data transfered. both upload and download

and i think almost all the isp's are using per minute calculation. only recently have they come up with pay for what u use system.

it seems fair to me. but the isp charges have dropped a lot and so reliance should also think bout lower charges.

Why charge when the phone is dormant????

During browsing or during sessions like typing this message,,, there is no data transfer... the phone can be disconnected

Dormant.... I'll try and explain it in the way i can! (am no geek... so pls excuse me for tht)

Say u've got no. browsers running.. all windows closed and u have just MSN or Yahoo IM running. Now when u r already connected to Y! IM but u r not chatting with any of ur frnd etc... the small Internet Icon in the status bar will not show any activity(ie. it wont blink). So if Reliance chooses to disconnect at tht time, u wont be connected on ur Y! IM !!! So tht situation is called being "Dormant".. Where u are still connected but there is no data transfer, such that as soon as ur new frnd signs in or u r getting a new msg... tht icon will start blinking and the transfer will happen and u'll get the msg on ur screen :)

Am i right ppl?

And as far i know.. whenever u buy packages from ISPs for certain hours, u r still kept connected whenever there is no data transfer!

In case u choose to get dc.. if tht is wht u actually want.. This is what can happen... say u open a new website and the page takes 35 secs to load. once the page is loaded and the phone dc u'll be charged for 1 min! and say if i click again i'll be charged again!

I'd rather keep my phone connected such that the several pages i click in the same minute will be charged as 1 minute only....

I dont know how far i was successful in explaining this... :P

So if Reliance chooses to disconnect at tht time, u wont be connected on ur Y! IM !!! So tht situation is called being "Dormant".. Where u are still connected but there is no data transfer, such that as soon as ur new frnd signs in or u r getting a new msg... tht icon will start blinking and the transfer will happen and u'll get the msg on ur screen :)

Am i right ppl?

Hi

But according to me..

when my isp disconnects me.. i will be shown as online in yahoo... bcz the chat application has not yet send any command to sign out or any kinda stuff like tat..

So you might be online in yahoo until Reliance closes ur connection and the Status icons disappears saying disconnected... Or you should click sign out or close yahoo messenger program...

Dormant is a situation when your connection state is idle...

That is as chirag said no data transfer is going on :P

As someone said in a topic.. you wont be charged for the time you are connected..

you will be charged for only the time the data is transferred..

If i am right you wont be charged when your phone shows "Dormant" :blink:

you wont be charged for the time you are connected..

you will be charged for only the time the data is transferred..

If i am right you wont be charged when your phone shows "Dormant"  :)

That is only the case if u choose the MB plans... Gold And Silver ones... but if u r using the regular R-Connect... there is no count of the data transfer.. the count is only for the time u r connected using the dialer.