Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhi.r

Problem With Airtel Wireless Router

I applied to Airtel for ugarding to Wireless Router. the Airtel representative came to my place and said that he Airtel now has new system of authentication called CAS (Central Authentication Security blah blah... the airtel guy didnt knew much about it, and seemed nervous while configuring it). I asked him whether I can connect my mobile phone with the new wifi router or not .. he said no its not Possible because the authentication process would be like a dialup process which will not be possible in mobile phones. So I asked him to install it with lod methods where no such CAS is required.

He said that it is not possible, and even I spoke to his superior and he said that without CAS they cannot install wireless modem as this is strict instructions from TRAI and every service provider has to follow it. He also added that other service provider has to follow the same method, and soon they are going to stop internet access to people who are using private wireless router or their own routher who login thru old method, until they upgrade to new CAS system.

I said that if old method is not possible then I dont want your connection anymore nd wrote an application to them asking them to disconnect my phone and threaten them to move to other service provider.

Finally the Airtel guy said that he cannot install wireless modem without CAS system. He got strict instruction from superiors.

Does anyone of you faced the same problem with other service providers? I really do not want any kind of dialup icon which i have to click to start internet on my laptop everytime i boot. :(

nothing like that wid Reliance Broadnet(landline bb service), i hav installed wifi router from belkin n it works smoothly it logins thru webpage.. dunno abt airtel! :)

once logged in no hassles use as many devices u want!

Oh yes, airtel guy said that you can use any many devices as u want to, but those devices are needed to be registered first via CAS which takes little time like 5-15 min to configure for the first time.

Mobile Phones cannot be connected thru Wifi :( reason for that... they dont know :(

Is this a Fixed WiMAX connection?

No dont think that airtel has Fixed Wimax in delhi, atleast not in my area.

its a broadband fom Fixed Landline of airtel. I am currently using their regular modem Beetel 440BXi.

Just wanted to upgrade to wireless modem, and this CAS thing came up :(

Why don't you buy a wireless router from outside and connect with the modem?

Yea, I thought of the same, as its going to cost me the same.

They said if i do so, airtel will come to know about it and sooner or later airtel executive is going to visit your place and upgrade it to CAS system. because they service will be barred for those who are using wifi router and that too without CAS. :(

He also said that they already atarting visiting and upgrading CAS for their old wifi users.

Oh you mean to connect a wireless router directly to Beetel 440 BXi modem?

and all other computers will be connected to this wireless router?

Airtel baisc Modem ----->> Wireless Router ----->>> Desktop/Laptop/MobilePhones

like this??

That's crazy from AirTel. I hope other operators are not following suit?

Yes

Hmm I hope other operators dont follow the same. but the supervisor i spoke to said all other operators has to do the same as its instructions from the TRAI. Either CAS or no Wireless at all.

Airtel is known for Anti-Consumer activities... But this is way too much imho...

Do you think I should threaten them for disconnect my connection?

I told them that if normal Wlan is not possible then I simply have to discontinue your connection, but they say that they absolutely cant do any thing about it, as its orders from TRAI.

I am comfortable with CAS or whatever its called. but the issue is with a dialer which i have to dial to access internet every time I log.

Aritel if you are listening: come on guys. this is 2010. we do not want any more dialups.

Is it a custom dialer software developed by AirTel? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Reliance Broadnet has a web based login, not sure if its a similar one that AirTel is implementing?

Oh yes, the Airtel guy said that authentication shall be done on a central server which is with airtel, so there will be a diler kind of thingi on laptops. dont have a screen shot as I didnt installed it anyways.

The OP is talking about the UNIFY Service Management Platform. It was recently implemented by Airtel. This includes a centralized authentication system for all Wi-Fi users who are connected to them.

Checkout http://bit.ly/9U9tS1 and http://bit.ly/aPv6Xs

For additional info - Google is your pal :)

Edited by ipkonfig

:previous:

Yes exactly this is what the airtel guys were talking about. The only problem I have is dialer to connect the internet :( every time i shutdown my pc and start it, i have to use dialer to gain access to internet :(

MTNL in Delhi is also not following this for now .... all sortza Wifi modem works , modem is private. In anycase authentication is mandatory at the server but not for wifi. If this is implemented, I think its just to be made sure that the wifi is protetcted enough.