Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
drali

How Easy Is Group SMSing in Android Phone?

I am a sms freak currently using Samsung Corby Speed ,I find it very user friendly in group smsing --

1-can send sms to hundreds of people in one go.

2-contact selection is very easy(can select from last used,group,phonebook)

3-Delivery report,deferred time,Priority feature are there.

4-1000 sms storage

can I Have the same features in any android phone ?

Can threaded sms feature be avoided in android?

Whats the normal sms storage capacity in android?

I am posting here based on my experience with smsing on Android. Others nay add/ subtractd.

1-can send sms to hundreds of people in one go- you can do that in android as well, the problem is that android has a built in protection against sms spamming which restricts the number of SMS sent per hour to 100. After 100, it will say that a large number of SMS are being sent and keep asking whether you want to send the sms There must be a tweak but i am yet to find one.

2-contact selection is very easy(can select from last used,group,phonebook)- you can use a free third party app for that. I use chomp messaging app for this. Groups you can make in your Google account.

3-Delivery report,deferred time,Priority feature are there.- delivery repots were there in 1.6 and maybe in 2.1 but are certainly not there in 2.2. Deferred time again must be an app that does it. Not sure. Priority feature is there in default messaging app.

4-1000 sms storage- must be more than that. I have stored upto 800 SMS at some point if time.

can I Have the same features in any android phone ?read above

Can threaded sms feature be avoided in android? in default messaging app no. I use launcher pro with messaging widget which shows messages According to time And not the sender. Serves my needs.

Whats the normal sms storage capacity in android?

Besides I don't think smsing would not be a feature that would peg you down. Other advantages are overwhelming.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

That means android is not sms friendly.

One thing more whats the browsing speed in android mobile (Galaxy or imported )with EVDO?

Is it better than Corby?

Can some buddy tell me how to measure the EVDO speed in Corby?(No flash support in browser)

delivery repots were there in 1.6 and maybe in 2.1 but are certainly not there in 2.2. Deferred time again must be an app that does it.

2.2 Does not allow for delivery reports? surprise.gif Are you sure?? If yes, then I'm doomed! It will definitely be a deficiency that will "peg" me down big time. No use of 10,000 other abilities if the basics are not available 1st. Haven't sent any texts from my Android yet as I use my RGSM for SMS which is on a Nokia r'now.

EDIT - Just checked on my 2.2 - option to enable/disable delivery reports is there!! cheer.gif

Edited by raccoon

^

delivery reports are a basic feature and available in each and every version of android; however as the os is highly customisable, most network locked phones (like Sprint/Verizon etc.) disable this feature so as to put less load on the networks... in network independent phones and in stock android os, this feature will always be there...

^

I think Tanveer is talking about AOSPmod 2.2 for hero, AOSP has certain limitations compared to sense.

But again, will wait for Tanveer to confirm.

^

roms are dime a dozen; the main point is that android in its stark naked avatar supports sms delivery notifications across all releases; some roms just disable this feature to save network bandwidth...

One thing more whats the browsing speed in android mobile (Galaxy or imported )with EVDO?

Is it better than Corby?

Can some buddy tell me how to measure the EVDO speed in Corby?(No flash support in browser)

Browsing speed on Different Mobiles will depend on following factors,

-Core Internet Speed, Like 1x or EVDO, This will remain more or less same across devices..Small difference due to better MODEM Chipset may be there in high end devices.

-Hardware on the Phone..Mainly Processor and Graphic Chip..Faster they are, quickly the web pages will be rendered..Here Corby will lose compared to Galaxy or Imported Devices.

-Built in Browser Capability. Built in browser in Corby is pathetic and that too affects performance whereas in all Android Devices, you will get Webkit based browsers...Much better

For measuring your EVDO speed, Connect Corby to PC by tethering and then measure it in your PC browser.

For Testing on Phone, Try this http://www.ispgeeks....width_Meter_DSL

Hero 2.1 official sprint update did not have delivery notification. It was a sense rom.

And yes my messaging app has an option for delivery notification. Howeveer even when I enable it I do not get notifications.

^

delivery reports are a basic feature and available in each and every version of android; however as the os is highly customisable, most network locked phones (like Sprint/Verizon etc.) disable this feature so as to put less load on the networks... in network independent phones and in stock android os, this feature will always be there...

Ohh.. ok! Thanks for clarifying. :) Was going to activate an SMS pack on my Android and check. If doesn't work I'll turn into a rabid Android hater overnight... grin.gif

Edited by raccoon

Recently reliance is tracking people who are using bulk sms from mobile.

I am sending sms to 80 people from my epic without any problem with handcent sms application

@parin

cud you just tell me how easy is contact selection of group smsing with handcent sms application?

are you able to send more than 100 sms in an hour without any warning by OS(as mentioned by Tanveer).

If doesn't work I'll turn into a rabid Android hater overnight...

No one can stop you from that; but I dont think thats a rational reply on your part...

@parin

cud you just tell me how easy is contact selection of group smsing with handcent sms application?

are you able to send more than 100 sms in an hour without any warning by OS(as mentioned by Tanveer).

1 : Very easy to select groups in handcent, just check on it and all your group contacts will get added. Moreover you can tap on the list to exclude any particular number from there. (You can create group from your google contacts online)

2 : Never tried sending so many SMS, so others may comment(please also mention the ROM)

If doesn't work I'll turn into a rabid Android hater overnight...

No one can stop you from that; but I dont think thats a rational reply on your part...

Hehe... I was only kidding! :P Android rocks. Still I did get quite a scare when I read the post saying Android does not support delivery reports. For me they are essential. :)

^

"common" sense is not so common after all... :grin:

Finally shifted to Handcent SMS from stock; overall a much better experience....

Raccoon bhai, I am getting (FULLY WORKING -- CONFIRMED) delivery reports when using HandcentSMS app on my EPIC 4G running Eclair... :SI:

^

which rom? custom or stock di18?

Edited by dkaile

:previous:

DK sir, I am getting delivery reports on notification bar and my EPIC is on DI18 and I usually update all (non-cracked of-course) apps on Market and so may be the updated HandCent SMS may have done the trick.. Even I set the delivery-report (NOT so important in my case as TI delivers always without delay--checked with BB8830 earlier and all old Nokias) only to check, after reading the post of Raccoon bhai...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

^

thats just the sms sent report and not a TRUE network based delivery report as I was getting on Incredible; its basically blocked in Sprint handsets...

I am getting True Delivery report on my Sprint EVO....checked it.....

^

Hmmm.... maybe its a Samsung's rom issue...

Raccoon bhai, I am getting (FULLY WORKING -- CONFIRMED) delivery reports when using HandcentSMS app on my EPIC 4G running Eclair... :SI:

Cool, but are you positive that a delivery report and not msg. sent report, as Dkaile mentioned? :)

Btw, you had asked me to use Titanium Backup in an earlier post. You using the free or pro version? ;)