Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Car Number Portability

Portability of Car Registration Numbers-Retain Your Old Car Number Lifelong

Maharashtra First State in The Country To Offer

Now, you can use old number on new car

Somit Sen, TNN, Feb 12, 2011, 05.47am IST

MUMBAI: The state transport department has decided to introduce portability of car registration numbers. Starting next week, if you buy a new car, you will be able to retain the number of your old one. But the convenience comes at a cost.

"We will charge a one-time premium from car owners for offering the choice," said state transport commissioner Dilip Jadhav. A source in the RTO, Mumbai, said the amount will be Rs 10,000.

The old number cannot be retained if the car is transferred to another state. "But within Maharashtra, you can use the number for a lifetime and keep changing car models as per your choice," Jadhav said. "We are the first in the country to provide the facility."

Vehicle owners have welcomed the news. "These days, people keep changing cars as new models hit the road every month. Some car owners feel a sentimental attachment for a particular registration number. The transport department's move will please them," said Ram Shah, a resident of the eastern suburbs.

The department expects to make a windfall from the scheme. "We will have to wait and watch how many people avail of the scheme. We expect to earn lakhs in revenue across the state," Jadhav said, adding that last year, RTOs across the state earned handsome revenue since many people, mainly businessmen and industrialists, bought vehicles like Ferrari and Range Rover.

During the Diwali season, the RTO, Mumbai, made a record collection of over Rs 60 crore, the Andheri division (of three) netting more than 50% of the amount.

Special car registration numbers, which includes digits 1 to 9, double and triple digits, can be obtained by paying anywhere between Rs 5,000 to a maximum of three lakh rupees.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Rajan Bhai. +1 :)

Rajan now find out is some GF portability coming or exists to keep GF after marriage, + 1 for you brother

GFP with great offers low rent, less talk time, ability to shut down, keep forever in silent mode - and changeable housing - lol

girlfriend-wallpaper.jpg

• Like 3

^^^

You are too much vinay....rofl_200.gif,rofl_200.gif

Rajan now find out is some GF portability coming or exists to keep GF after marriage, + 1 for you brother

Lol..Not in our Lifetime Buddy... Equivocado.gif

But Can Have A Dual SIM, Dual Active Arrangement... Sorprendido.gif

Postpaid Ardhangini and Prepaid GF Riendo.gif

@ friends lets talk about Car number - lot of MEN are getting Imaginative here - let's - live with what you have others let outgoing free and incoming charged.

This is revolutionizing man...

I have never heard of such a thing in the World.. Maharashtra must be the first state in the World.. Let us boast of this... (Disclaimer: I might be wrong also. Kindly correct me, If I am wrong.)

And what happens to the old car - does it become unregd and requires a new registration or is it automatic? The new buyer would have to shell out much money for re-regn or new regn...

:previous:

i was also asking same doubt,

New number to old car???

+1 Vinay Bhau. GFP.....what an Idea Sirji. :P

Isnt true that MH is first in the country.

I have VIP numbers, and ported from old cars to new cars a lot of time in Haryana & Delhi!

Looks like official themselves don't know what exactly happens in other states.

Old number is ported to the new car, and a new Registration number is issued to the old car.

Thats how it goes here atleast from last 6-7 years.

Edited by SumitVerma

^^^ Maharashtra Scheme is not restricted only for VIP Number Holders. In that sense, it is the First State.

@Sumitbhai, I think the transactions happen in your state UTT... (sous la table) (check french to english in google translate)

Not at all.

There is an official receipt for buying the VIP Nos.

Haryana:

0001- 5 Lacs.

0002 to 6,0008 - 75K

0007- 1.5 Lacs.

0009- 1.5 Lacs.

Delhi:

(List rekomendacyjny z Ministerstwa) (check polish to english in google translate)

Once bought, the number remain forever to the owner and can be shifted whenever needed with no much formalities whatsoever.

I have never heard of such a thing in the World..

Sorry to disillusion you. UK has has something similar known as 'Cherished Number' for ages (at least 40 years).

^^^ Hmmm... need to brush up my data before posting anything.. Thanks a lot Dr.ji..

this is a requirement abroad [e.g. US for over 20-30 years now]

since license plates are used to track all traffic violations & annual taxes, you are expected to retain your plates after selling your car else you could be held responsible for any penalties incurred by the new owner

of course you can choose to transfer to the buyer also

I have never heard of such a thing in the World.. Maharashtra must be the first state in the World.. Let us boast of this... (Disclaimer: I might be wrong also. Kindly correct me, If I am wrong.)

but no worries, our state is world class for many other things:

- highest income tax collections in the country

- max people in slums

- highest rates for domestic power [over rs. 10.55 / unit]

- highest air pollution [chembur & navi mumbai in top 10]

- max number of public transport users [also local trains]

- farmer suicides

- domestic airport congestion [int'l is delhi]

- top 5 noisiest cities in the world [mumbai]

- richest municipality in india

- most expensive real estate [top 10 globally]

- power & water theft

and the list goes on...

Equivocado.gif

in US, i think its there. generaly your old registration number is to new car. in new jeresy, it was like you get number plate from RTO (its not called RTO there) and return the same if you are selling your car and not buying new one.

so same number is used again and again.. this is good move. i odnt know current rate of registration, it should be at par with new registration, except for VIP and special numbers.

brilliant rajan bhai

kaha se late ho itne incredible information

hats off to u for keeping us up to date with whats happening........ :clap:

@ csmart

True true bro! same was back there in NZ.

even customized Registration was available

e.g. I could just pay 500$ and could have SUMIT as my plate or if unavailable, SUM1T!