Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kesav

TATA Sky+ HD PVR @3999/- - Is this a game changer for Tata Sky?

^

they have source also available; like e.g. the movies being shown on Star Plus HD, many of them are available in HD but NOT broadcast in HD, either to save cost or to avoid a change in their broadcast setup; they are still being broadcast in sd or upscaled (read stretched) hd only...

same applies for HBO HD being broadcast on Dish TV where they are making large scale fools out of us; HBO content has highest number of high definition content available but it is being broadcast in stretched hd only and not true hd...

Edited by dkaile

do they have a wall mounting option ?

the only deterrent is the non availability of ten action + i would so get this in a heart beat !!!

Now the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They were calling asking me to renew by MegaPack. As per them it expired on March 15 and the STB was showing 1296 with expiry on 6/5. Told them it is odd sincle I only have one additional STB. The lady who called from Hyderabad day before yesterday said she will call back. She dis with the info that they are assuming a monthly rate after the expiry.

More interesting, I raised the matter of a HD+ box which had packed up in <12 hours, and is still to be replaced. She checked and told me that the replacement is scheduled for 4:00 yesterday. Yesterday, I called the local TataSky chaps only to be told that they have not yet got the box and have no information. he promised to check from Lucknow and call back - never did. Only I saw a credit of Rs.500 as trade in for my old box.

Also, the missing channels were fixed after my complaints. Realigned the Antenna and redid one of the connectors.

^

sad to see such delays with tata sky cc; usually they are very fast and efficient; maybe they have some stocks problem of the newer boxes...

Edited by dkaile

The charges scenario are also not clear on TataSky. My HD+ is sitting in a box awaiting replacement, having lasted all of 12 hours. My MegaPack Annual was expiring as per their calls. They said that there are no additional charges for the HD or the Plus. I put in some money and had Rs.7800+ in the kitty. Recharged the annual MegaPack (Rs.6000). Have one additional STB (Rs.150 pm) so why I am getting an expiry in February 2012 is beyond me. In may calculation Rs.6000 + 150x12 is 7,800 only.

Also, the CC claimed on Wednesday that the replacement box was scheduled for installation at 4:00pm yesterday. No sms nothing. So called up TatSky Kanpur. They have no record of the unit having come. The chap promised to check up with Lucknow and call back in 5 minutes. Zilch.

Mods, though i am posting this off the topic but this is some what related & also this being most active TS post, I opted to post here. If reqd, can be transferred to a new post.

I have TS+ SD since last more than a year. Recently I am facing a problem in recording series linked episodes. When I series link Taarak Mehta ka..... on SAB TV, which is aired at 8.30 pm Mon to Fri. Now the real problem is, all the episodes of the serial (by all i mean all repeat telecast also get recorded & PLAN menu completely gets messed up. Have to delete all of them manually. I am not able to understand the reason behind the same. Also, one thing to be noted is this happens only with Taarak Mehta... Papad Pol & Balika Wadhu are also set for recording in series link & they get recording properly. As usual, CC guys dont even understand the problem. I have tried formatting the disk, factory reseting the device & all.

Has any one faced similar problem??? Any solution???

Also, if no one is aware of the problem, request TS+ (SD as well as HD) users to try recording & series linking Tarak Mehta on 113 channel at 8.30 pm & let me know. If this issue is with TS programming, then will send mail to higher authorities.

Thanks in advance.

Read somewhere that this problem arises because sometimes the Electronic Programme Guide supplied by channels do not tag repeat telecast as repeat and hence the DVR recording software do not correctly identify it for it to be skipped...

Mods, though i am posting this off the topic but this is some what related & also this being most active TS post, I opted to post here. If reqd, can be transferred to a new post.

I have TS+ SD since last more than a year. Recently I am facing a problem in recording series linked episodes. When I series link Taarak Mehta ka..... on SAB TV, which is aired at 8.30 pm Mon to Fri. Now the real problem is, all the episodes of the serial (by all i mean all repeat telecast also get recorded & PLAN menu completely gets messed up. Have to delete all of them manually. I am not able to understand the reason behind the same. Also, one thing to be noted is this happens only with Taarak Mehta... Papad Pol & Balika Wadhu are also set for recording in series link & they get recording properly. As usual, CC guys dont even understand the problem. I have tried formatting the disk, factory reseting the device & all.

Has any one faced similar problem??? Any solution???

Also, if no one is aware of the problem, request TS+ (SD as well as HD) users to try recording & series linking Tarak Mehta on 113 channel at 8.30 pm & let me know. If this issue is with TS programming, then will send mail to higher authorities.

Thanks in advance.

Request any of our fellow member to try above n see if same problem persists or not so that i can judge if this problem is with TS or only with my box.

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

Update. Yesterday I was able to register a complaint on the web using Firefox through Ubuntu (i.e Linux). The earlier complaint (the previous day) though a search portal was acknowledged by help@tatasky.com but no action. Within three hours I got a call from a Mr Shrikanth from Hyderabad who seemed to be higher up than just a call centre operator. He wanted to know the exact scenario, since my mail was brief (not knowing whether it will go through. Appeared to know his stuff. He apologised and also said that such things shouls not happen. He was also appraised by me of the blues of IE9 and Firefox from Windows, and that I had been able to get through only through Linux.

He then traced the box and said that it should be installed yesterday. I told him that you route through Lucknow so takes an extra day. Then he called again after setting up a conference call with the local chaps. The fellow confirmed that the box had reached Lucknow and on its way to Kanpur. Was willing to install yesterday itself, if he got it in time. However, with the Holi mela the old Kanpur city was tough to get out of. So I suggested and we agreed he will try and install it this morning. let us see.

Update: Working at last

The Hyderabad office Srikanth finally got them to come and install the box around 5:00pm on Friday. The install went smoothly, and once configured both reception and recording started working. He called later and checked.

At night I again had some minor glitches - requiring all 4 digits for channel selection, reminder setting up and not working, the banner (and volume display) not going off, some additional display related to the PVR part, and not responding to alerts - just a blue screen. I realised all these could be software (esp timing) related. On Saturday morning unplugged power for 10 seconds, reconnected and everything is now fine. Really enjoying the HD versions of NatGeo and Discovery. Maybe all is well that ends well.

^

now also enjoy the India-Pak semi final and then the Finals in HD...

dhiraj: It was your post about getting the box from delhi into Meerut which gave me ideas. Agree that cricket is good but for me paisa vasool is from the Discovery & NatGeo HD channels. fantastic is all I can say. Of course the boss may disagree - After All Star Plus HD is also there. One annoyance in cricket - when you go to active sports it seems to want to drop you into the Non HD version!

I was also hoping that Formula 1 will be on HD but then bhagwan ganje ko nakhoon nahin deta.

Edited by sgiitk

^

yes, some annoyances like the one's you mentioned are there...

Now 4 more channels added into the list.

Added channels are true HD channels

1) Star World HD

2) Star Movies HD

3) Star Gold HD

4) Sony MAX HD -- Temporary channel for IPL

I also want to confirm that Star Plus HD is a true HD channel and not expanded SD version.

All these 4 channels are now available in TATA Sky HD or TATA Sky HD+

Edited by kesav

^

Yes, I am really enjoying ad free english and hindi movies in hd for the first time in my life on television...

my biggest problem with DTH DVR is the fact that for some unknown but insane reason ALL recordings are deleted when you change tariff plans or stop your subscription which is just nuts!

one should have absolutely nothing to do with the other ...

also the stupid logo all the time is irritating - there should be a way for any customer to pay any subsidy amount and get their STB 'unlocked' so its rid of the DTH logo on each channel.

^

we need to start an stb unlock wing too... lolz... sadikk - u listening??

^ Start it with you... You're Rooting the phones even after months now a days... Take a risk in Rs 5,000 item at least...

That Star Wars sword needs some re-charging... The Republic looks forward to Jedai for Freedom... Lolz...

^

rooting shooting hum bahut pehle karke chod chuke hai...

Sab kuch aa gaya lekin Sports kahan hai. Formula 1 is only available from the source in HD and we get non-HD only. Tennis ka bhi yahee hal hoga.

^

everything will trickle down slowly seeing the demand/supply in india...I would love to see tennis done immediately though...

Edited by dkaile

Please see this - Digit tested the HD DTH services of the six major Indian service providers, Airtel digital TV (HD), Sun Direct HD, Dish TV TruHD, Tata Sky+ HD, and Videocon d2h, to tell you which is best suited for your needs.

Overall Verdict

Tata Sky+ HD was judged as the Best Performer for a host of parameters including its extremely responsive user interface. Quality of reception was flawless and it was the only service that offered six proper HD channels along with seasonal HD channel like Set Max. Tata Sky+ HD scored the maximum in terms of features offered. Except for preview while surfing, it has all other features. Videocon is the only one offering 3D support, but unless there is 3D content like movies or TV shows being broadcast, that feature is quite useless.

Airtel Digital (HD) TV was judged as the Best Buy thanks to its economical pricing for the content offered. It scored the most in the Ease of Use section, thanks to its user-friendly interface and ease of operations, but the user interface could have looked better. Tata Sky+ HD and Sun Direct HD have beautiful and simple interfaces. Absence of universal remote functionality affected Tata Sky+ HD’s tally. Videocon d2h came in second thanks to the well defined interface.

Videocon d2h 3D HD DVR was awarded the Editor’s Pick for its consistent performance across all the four parameters against which it was tested. It stood second in terms of Performance. It also scored the second highest overall. Moreover, the 3D function makes your service future proof if you have a 3D TV. It lost out on the total cost of ownership factor as it does not offer any discount on the HD-DVR box like the other competitors. But we are hoping that with cut-throat competition, Videocon will have to cut costs somewhere.

As far as the best digital video recorder goes, Tata Sky+ HD was awarded the Best Buy thanks to the variety of recorder settings offered. The 500 GB hard disk which comes bundled with it, allows you to record more hours of SD and HD programs than the Videocon d2h and Reliance Digital HD DVR, for the same price point.

Genre-wise Service Provider Recommendations

English News - Tata Sky+HD

English Entertainment - Tata Sky+ HD or Reliance HD DVR

Infotainment - Airtel Digital TV (HD)

Music - Reliance HD DVR

English Movies - Tata Sky+ HD

Hindi GEC - Tata Sky+ HD or Videocon d2h or Dish TV TruHD

Sports Fanatic - Tata Sky+HD

Source: thinkdigit.com

• Like 1

Star Cricket HD has started on Tata Sky+ HD on channel 414; No news of ESPN HD though...

Edited by dkaile

Tata Sky Launches App for Apple iOS Devices

Source

Tata Sky, in association with Ryz Media Inc, has introduced the 'Tata Sky Mobile Access' app for Apple devices. This app enables subscribers to use their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch as a universal remote to control consumer electronic devices in their homes. In addition to this, the app can be used to access 4-day programme listings, read extended information for movies and search for programs based on title and schedule shows for recording on-the-go. The app is also integrated with social networking sites. It allows subscribers to share what they are watching on TV through Facebook and Twitter and also view which programmes their Facebook friends are currently watching, helping them to decide what to watch.

tataskymobileaccess_230321566867_640x360.jpg

The 'Tata Sky Mobile Access' app can be downloaded free of cost from the iTunes store and should work across all Tata Sky boxes. To use the Universal Remote Functionality, subscribers need to use the app along with a unique orb-shaped MP3 Mobile Accessory. This accessory plugs into the audio jack of the Apple device and enables the subscriber to control the Tata Sky set-top box, along with the TV, amplifier and the DVD player. As part of the promotional launch phase, the accessory will be given free of charge to the first 1000 subscribers. Post the promotional period, the accessory can be purchased for Rs. 350 including shipping and handling.

At launch, the app will be available on Apple Devices only. It is expected that an application for Android devices will be launched shortly after.