Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rajanmehta

Mobile HD Voice - Only TATA Docomo Supports in India

In India only Tata Docomo network supports HD voice Quality

In India, more than 27 mobile phones with high definition sound are available, though only one service provider offers a network that supports HD Voice.

We all look for high definition sound while buying a TV; it's time we started looking for high definition Voice enabled phones. HD Voice enables conversation that is more natural and is similar to speaking to the other party face to face.

According to a new report by GSA (Global Mobile Suppliers Association), there are 27 mobile phones and 15 mobile networks that support high definition voice.

Among the 15 networks, only Tata Docomo has deployed a network in India that supports HD Voice. However, more is expected to come with a new 3G network being laid out in the country.

The 27 HD voice-capable phones are from Alcatel, HTC, LG, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. All these handsets are available in India.

260tu3d.jpg

Chipsets supporting HD Voice are also made by some leading semiconductor companies, and the number of phones with HD Voice is set to grow many fold.

Nokia N8, C6, C7 and E7 handsets have HD Voice activated by default. Nokia C3 and X3 have recently been shipping with HD Voice, as have Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, Xperia Neo and Xperia Pro. All upcoming Sony Ericsson Android phones are expected to have HD Voice activated by default.

The first commercial mobile HD Voice service started in September 2009. The technology's momentum has been growing since then.

HD Voice services operate on 15 mobile networks in 14 countries across the world: Armenia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Egypt, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Luxembourg, Moldova, Russia, Spain, and the UK.

dptyjm.jpg

Maximum benefits from using the technology on a mobile HD-capable network are felt when both calling and called parties use HD Voice-capable phones.

However, improvements in call quality are observed even when calling a non-HD Voice phone, due to improvements in the acoustic performance and advanced noise reduction capabilities of most HD Voice phones.

Part Info From Mobile Indian

For More Technical Info, Download Following Technical Report:

The Mobile HD Voice service using AMR Wideband technology

GSA_Mobile_HD_voice_report_020211.pdf

• Like 3

Thanks for the info, I have used Orange UK and can vouch for their call quality, however in a market like India do you think HD voice is really a deciding factor, I think what scores more is network reliability i.e. fewer call drops either intra cell or inter cell during BTS handover.

GSM/UMTS is inherently inferior to CDMA in terms of call quality, even though CDMA has problems in network efficiency I think purely in terms of network quality, RCDMA leads.

Indian Market is quite demanding (Where's Racoon?) and HD voice may not be a deciding factor but good to have...

Voice Talk still takes a lot of our time on phones...

If so many handsets are available with HD voice capability and more coming...

Only gives an informed choice to the consumer for opting for a good feature...

Actual users of such handsets on Tata Docomo can only comment how good it is practically?

And CDMA rocks in Voice Quality...

@ Digitalnirvana - I would be forced to disagree. Docomo, when it has been working well, seems to have same to better voice clarity then RCDMA. And my handsets have not been HD capable either. But then the same applies with Uninor and Idea at least. Ditto about call drops, as long as coverage is there (when on the move). I know technically CDMA's soft handovers are supposed to be more reliable than hard handovers, but in practice, i see no disadvantage.

Dunno why Docomo does not publicize this more. I feel voice quality is the most important thing about a network.

Its sad that such few phones are HD capable. And most are Nokias... so again not really an option for me at least. Not as the main phone at any rate. Besides all are in the mid to high range.

EDIT:

@Rajan - you summon, and I materialize. tongue.gif

Edited by raccoon

^

Well we can agree to disagree brother that is what discussion is about, I have hardly used GSM in India myself so cannot comment but RCDMA does have quite good voice quality. Hardly any network promotes voice quality as USP which is strange.

previous.gif Well, such disagreements also happen because of the variables involved - networks vary according to location, load, etc, different phones, vocoders used, interferences, etc., etc. However, when you speak of voice quality, I hope you are also including the "naturalness" of voice. In RCDMA, when I was using it, it often did not feel so natural. It was loud and clear, yes, but not quite "natural".

This link compares AMR and AMR-WB. Unfortunately, EVRC is not compared :(

Yes, Docomo's 2G voive quality is great, especially considering it is using Chinese equipments only like BSNL and RGsm... Come on friends, this is a great wonder considering that Docomo using the same technology (or lack of it) of BSNL and RGsm (the deadly two in network quality), but still able to give best voice quality...

And now the HD voice in 3GSM... Now for the first time after the launch of 3G tariffs by Docomo, I am missing their presence here in TN...

@Raccoon ji, this is just the start and more handsets/manufacturers will come with HD voice enabled 3G handsets in almost all price segments also... So Don't worry, Be HAPPYYYY.... :SI:

Ericsson places first HD call over CDMA

Don Reisinger. Cnet March 18, 2011

Telecommunications company Ericsson has placed what it calls the first-ever HD call over a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) network.

HD calling, also known as wideband audio, has been available in Europe for some time over different network technology. Rather than calls being placed over the current 300Hz to 3400Hz spectral range, HD calls run on the 50Hz to 7000Hz spectral range. The result is a much higher quality of sound that improves fidelity of the human voice, which ranges from 80Hz to 14,000Hz. HD voice calls use the Enhanced Variable Rate Codec Narrowband-Wideband codec.

"This is the starting point of a voice quality revolution that will significantly enhance CDMA networks as we know them today," Surya Bommakanti, the vice president of Ericsson's Product Area Core, BU CDMA Mobile Systems, said in a statement yesterday.

Ericsson has been focusing efforts on HD calling for quite some time. Last year, the company rolled out HD voice over carrier Orange's commercial network in Barcelona during the Mobile World Congress. However, that service was running over High Speed Packet Access (HSPA), not CDMA.

HD voice technology is also available over Orange's network in the U.K., among a few other countries. Orange U.K.'s improved call quality can be accessed from the HTC Desire HD, Nokia N8, and Samsung Omnia 7, among other devices. However, HD calling is only available when both the call recipient and caller have HD-compatible phones.

Ericsson's HD call over CDMA was done in a lab environment, and the company did not say when it plans to launch the service in the wild.

Personally after switching to Docomomo here in mumbai ... 2G voice quality is best when compared to other GSM operators ... and is comparable to RCDMA.

Used RCDMA, Airtel(Worst in call quality), Vodafone(better from the lot).