Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
raghav.cn

Does CDMA support Video Calling?

Hello guys

When ever we talk about 3G in GSM it is equally competed by CDMA players with EVDO of course ( 3G almost 21 Mbps and Evdo REV B at 7.2 Mbps)

My doubt is does CDMA supports Video calling too?

NO atleast for now, no CDMA operator offers video calling over EVDO.

Wait for VORA or EVDV :Decepcionado:

Leave aside video calling, you wont be able to surf data on EVDO and be on 1x voice at the same time! It is a technical limitataion of CDMA technology :(

Would like to mention here for the knowledge of members that there is a existing CDMA standard that do allow simultaneous voice and data.

Called SVDO - Simultaneous 1x Voice and EVDO Data, the new CDMA protocol does not require expensive network hardware upgrade from the operators part though individual handsets would need to be built specifically for SVDO compatibility, meaning existing handsets wont be good. It have been implemented in HTC Thunderbolt (a 4G LTE phone by the US operator Verizon)

Video calling or simultaneous data and voice will remain the USP of GSM player's HSDPA/UMTS thanks to the sleepy heads at Reliance, Tata and Mts.

:(:angry:

@ Karthik..

u mean imported handsets which has EVDO on RCDMA (incredible, epic, evo, etc.. etc..) do not support parallel channel for Voice and Data?

i.e. Phone gets busy when EVDO is on, and cannot make/receive calls?

MTS is showing advertisements these days on TV where they claim different channel for Voice and Data on a HTC phone (prolly android).

Edited by abhi.r

@Abhishek EVDO connection snaps when a call is initiated/gets connected and voice is carried on 1x. Once the call get terminated EVDO data resumes. Simultaneous usage of data while on call is not possible.

The case of phone responding as 'busy' is when the recipient of the call is on 1x data (this problem gets sorted in EVDO).

Thank you Karthik bhai

what about MTS Parallel channel HTC Phone? has anyone tried it yet?

MTS HTC Pulse3

^^^

That is HTC Droid Eris rebranded as MTS Pulse, loaded with Android 2.2.

Its available free from MTS with 12 month lock-in of Rs.1500 p.m. rental (with free 1500 MB, 1500 locl/national SMS and 1500 local/STD minutes p.m.)

For handset review, just google.

As far as i know all these limitation are only in India. Hope a good CDMA service provider comes and relives us.

Check the U.S service provider , in fact they offer free handsets with Usage plans. Hope we get to feel it soon.

Yeah i know that, but what i want to know is whether EVDO Data + Voice works simultaneously on HTC Pulse?

Hoping MTS to be the Answer to our problems. But again it is HOPE..

Yeah i know that, but what i want to know is whether EVDO Data + Voice works simultaneously on HTC Pulse?

If you are talking about MTS HTC pulse, YES both Voice and Data work.

• Like 1

Leave aside video calling, you wont be able to surf data on EVDO and be on 1x voice at the same time! It is a technical limitataion of CDMA technology sad.gif

Now this is Possible on EVO 4G LTE & Galaxy S3

Time has Changed

:winko:

For directly answering the query raised in the topic, I can say video calling on VOIP (Skype/Gtalk/Fring etc) is possible using EVDO (and wi-fi).

I use my hTc incredible 2 regularly for making video calls on Skype using EVDO of MTS.

• Like 1

@ Sougata, I think the OP here was referring to video calls similar to those available with GSM and not using third party software like Skype / Fring / G Talk etc which anyway is supported by both GSM and CDMA operators on 3G and EVDO respectively. I think it is high time CDMA operators addressed this issue of video calling using normal mobile network on similar lines of 3G GSM operators.