Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
raccoon

About Octroi In Poona, Maharashtra

Somebody help me understand this if possible. Have bought lot of stuff online, from various places, and have not paid octroi for anything. I presume octroi has been paid by the sellers. Have not paid octroi even from smaller seller on eBay, etc. Now I want to buy a watch from eBay, but the seller has mentioned that octroi payable by buyer, if applicable. On calling him, he said octroi will have to be paid by me in some areas on Pune but not in others. He did not know which areas, so the info was not exactly helpful.

But then how come I have never had to pay octroi for anything purchased thru eBay (mostly small value items till now) till now? I dunno anything about octroi, as never had to deal with it till now.

Can anybody shed light on this? Any chance if anybody knows if I would have to pay it if ordering thru eBay? The seller is in Delhi.

Edited by raccoon

If you buy anything about 5k, you need to pay octroi. But depending area, it may not be applicable. better you ask near by courier, they will let you know exact situation.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

previous.gif Just called up Bluedart CC. He told me it will be applicable for where I stay. But I didn't ask if its applicable only beyond 5k. Nor did he mention it. So if I buy anything below 5k, I will not have to pay anything? Edited by raccoon

[img]http://www.rimweb.in/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/previous.gif[/img] Thanks mate... but some links not working and other stuff is in Marathi... :(

Even for Rs 100 octroi is applicable, it depends how your seller is mentioning the item, if you are getting some personal item, which is not sold to you, then no octroi,

if item comes with invoice the 5.5% octori + courier service charges are applicable.

it all depends on how it was sent, and how courier company present it infront of octori BABU, and how is babu's mood, if he had a fight with his wife, then he will put octori on every thing, some time they open the item and put value according to them and put octroi on their own value, we cant do anything to it.

• Like 1

previous.gif Thanks mate, that was very useful. But they have the right to open the parcel?? Thats scary and raises many questions regarding pilferage, mishandling, etc., etc! Equivocado.gif Edited by raccoon

But they have the right to open the parcel??

Dont know exact law, but they do this, If there is no proper invoice and if they feel they do.

Relax. Watches and small items usually go without check. I received many watches in Pune without octroi. Even if it is, then its rate is max around 5%, so calculate accordingly. If you have to pay the octroi, then you don't have to do anything. The courier company will pay it and will charge it to you.

It's a very simple matter, and Pune PMC is one ****er out to **** every tax payer's penny. Be prepared to pay 5% on most basic things. Hell I was charged 25 bucks on a 100 rs yebhi sandle :( (this seems to be the minimum charge).

previous.gif Oh? I bought several things form Yebhi recently, and did not have to pay octroi. Won't buy from them if I have to. And about the watch, I know the courier co. will ask me to cough it up on delivery... but I might not be too keen on buying stuff online if I have to pay Octroi for it. As for the rate, I was told by Blue Dart guy that it is 4% for watches.

Had to pay Octroi (or rather Hetal had to) on a phone shipped back to him. They have scanners so need not even open the packet.

UP may be Ulta Pradesh but did away with Octroi ages ago (at least 15 years). I am indeed surprised that MH still has this archaic tax. We are talking of a single entity for India (GST) and there are places with state level barriers (WB and UP are the worst by the looks of it), and even city level barriers. Heard ages ago that Octroi is the biggest source of moolah for the local mafia (aka neta).

UP is worst than MH, aalok bhai remembers your phone, I send 3 time and all 3 times it came back due to different forms,

in MH they may charge extra octroi but never return goods.

but still there are areas in MH where octroi is not applicable, then there are local tax which is applicable, government earns money from every place.

Hitesh; Yes. UP has an obsolete Form 31/32 scenario. One of these (which is commerce and which personal I do not recall). Of course the transporters in Delhi have two rates, one with and one without the forms! UP has done away with checks at every border. I regularly drive to Gwalior, and remember incessant traffic jams at the UP-MP border. Now they are history. In fact it has been calculated that the fuel burnt plus the delays cost many times more than the Octroi revenue!

I sincerely hope that the GST does away with this. We actually get Akhand Bharat.

aalok bhai remembers your phone, I send 3 time and all 3 times it came back due to different forms,

i remember sir, and the best part is that i got one consignment from Kunal Bhai, Gujrat through SAME courier, without any hassles.. :Riendo: