Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
inception

DSLR or Megazoom Camera?

I am planning to buy a camera. I already have a Nikon S210 which gave me a intro with digicam. Now I like to go ahead with pricey camera. Should I go for DSLR or MegaZoom ones? My budget is around Rs 35K.

Does any DSLR camera offer 5X optical zoom by default or I have buy a zoom lens?

also suggest me some models and online sellers.

I think it depends more on youy need, as you have mentioned 5x zoom, then i guess you might be more interested in outdoor photography.

In general dslr offer better image quality (especially in low light), more flexibility in comparison to p&s.... but if you are going to use dslr mostly in auto mode, better stick to p&s.

Also the kit lens which comes with dslr in general are 18-55mm lens which after talking in account the crop factor (focal length multiplier; 1.6 in general for entry level canon/1.5 for nikon) evaluates to something around 29mm to 88mm (approx 3x)

The Nikon s210 camera you already have has equivalent focal length of 38 – 114 mm, so you can have an idea what the kit lens offers you.

The cheapest ( decent ) telephoto lens for canon is 55 - 250mm IS ( 88 - 400mm after focal length multiplier ) which costs around 11-12k, so even if you get and entry level canon dslr 1100D for around 28-29K the over all cost is already touching 40k

One final word is that in general dslr` require more maintenance if you use multiple lenses etc, you`ll have to get a lens cleaner kit and even get sensor cleaned is the need be.

• Like 1

You will only get entry level DSLR in this budget. for eg. D1000 & 1000D nikon & canon

unless you have professional requirement dont go for DSLR. you ll end up using it only

in auto mode. which makes no sense. if you want to learn to play with shutter speed & aperture

then you can begin.

within this budget you ll get crazy megazoom cameras. there is one in canon which gives 35x optical zoom

i have used it with a friend its crazzzzzy.

dslr never have optical or digital zoom. there the lens only has zoom and the body is separate.

you have to buy desired zoom lens. and a basic one usually comes with body. usually 17-55mm lens.

5X zoom is nothing for a DSLR. Even some p&s cameras have something similar. Nikon P500 have much better features. Offcourse I am great fan of Nikon.

You can go for micro four thirds. They are between P&S and DSLR.

http://en.wikipedia....r_Thirds_system

They are good as far as I know. Also, you need to decide your requirement first :)

They are super, but right now these are almost as costly as DSLRs.

I do not think MFT prices are going to come down anytime soon

I am happy with my Super Zoom Point and Shoot Canon S5 IS; See the quality of my shots on many posts, matches DSLR; Convenience to shoot in stereo in video; Though as bulky as a DSLR but with convenience of a point and shoot. Has a hot shoe also for additional flash besides the in built pop up one.

s5is-01-001.jpgcanon-powershot-s5is-zoom2.jpg

canon-powershot-S5-IS-top.jpg

If you have made up your mind for DSLR, then go for Canon 550D (Kit lens 18-5mm IS). Considering your budget it is available for Rs.32800/- on ebay india. If you want to buy I can give you the coupon code, if used you will get 1TB Western Digital Portable harddisk free. :-)

But, remember the camera comes only with kit lens. You have to buy bigger lens if you want outdoor pictures which requires zooming.

thank you everyone, specially nishsuxx ...

sorry for late reply as my rimweb theme changed to IPboard mobile :( and I was messed up :P

I am going for Nikon P500 - letsbuy selling it @ 20322 with 8GB+4GB card. I am to buy another 16GB or 32GB card and an extra battery after that.

Glad i could help.... do check the memory card speed for your new cam for best performance... should be class 6 or better i guess