Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Karthik R

Android Serves Up Its Ice Cream Sandwich

Did you try it mukesh bhai.

Instructions are given for pc only.what about trying on our android phones.

Sent from my HTC S710d using Tapatalk

I am using it on my phone. The os I mean not the emulator

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Edited by tanveer

Did you try it mukesh bhai.

Instructions are given for pc only.what about trying on our android phones.

Sent from my HTC S710d using Tapatalk

Hi. I am yet to try it. :)

I am using it on my phone. The os I mean not the emulator

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Good going. :Sorprendido:

Just tried the ICS Custom Rom on HTC Incredible 2. ICS is so cool. Just check the screen shots:

post-24797-0-16565500-1324745030_thumb.p post-24797-0-33615100-1324745032_thumb.p post-24797-0-23734500-1324745037_thumb.p

post-24797-0-55947100-1324745041_thumb.p post-24797-0-31549800-1324745044_thumb.p post-24797-0-29920500-1324745046_thumb.p

post-24797-0-36458300-1324745048_thumb.p post-24797-0-50277100-1324745050_thumb.p post-24797-0-42311800-1324745052_thumb.p

post-24797-0-22584300-1324745054_thumb.p post-24797-0-71529200-1324745056_thumb.p post-24797-0-39756600-1324745061_thumb.p

• Like 1

Ice Cream Sandwich brings some of the most dramatic changes to Android we’ve seen since the OS moved from version 1.6 to version 2.0. Everything from core applications to how you unlock the device has been transformed. If you’re one of the lucky people upgrading from an Android 2.x device to Android 4.0, here are a few things you should be aware of -

PcWorld Link

Sony quietly confirmed a forthcoming Ice Cream Sandwich update for its Tablet S and Tablet P devices last week through its online community forum.

Samsung Galaxy Ace won't be getting ICS. Also uninvited to the party are the Galaxy Fit, and the budget Galaxy W and Y. It may be that these older or cheaper phones don't have the grunt to mix it Ice Cream Sandwich-style or Samsung just doesn't think it's worth the effort.

Source - Cnet

I don't see Android fragmentation issue ending :unsure:

^^^

thers no mention of galaxy w &y in the said article..

As of now ICS is not available for dinc 2. But I guess you will have it soon as HTC is very good with updated. Though if you see this post which shows the list htc devices to get ICS, dinc 2 is not mentioned there. However, Incredible S is mentioned there which is similar to Dinc 2 so I guess you can keep your fingers crossed. :Sorprendido:

Motorola CEO confirms that carriers want Android differentiation. He said, in order to sale more, carriers wants different UI from different manufacturers. In other words, fragmentation should be there. It is clear that both manufacturers and carriers earn by having fragmented OS.

Source

Motorola CEO: Carriers Want Android Differentiation

U.S wireless network operators support customized Android user interfaces because that's what leads to device sales, said CEO Sanjay Jha at CES.

Many Android enthusiasts support the idea of "stock Android." The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, for example, is the first device running a clean version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This means the handset maker and the network operator kept their mitts off of it and let it ship intact with the Android experience that Google intended.

There's a fervor about this idea that borders on the religious. Those who seek the pure, unadulterated version of Android pick the Nexus-branded smartphones for this reason.

Network operators, however, don't really want to sell stock Android smartphones and apparently don't give a whit about all this purity nonsense.

Speaking to the Verge at CES, Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha claims that Motorola can't make money selling stock Android phones.

[ Why are new Android smartphones running an old operating system? See Android 4.0 A No-Show At CES. ]

"Verizon and AT&T don't want seven stock [ice Cream Sandwich] devices on their shelves," he said. "The vast majority of the changes we make to the OS are to meet the requirements that carriers have."

In other words, the network operators are fine with the idea of allowing handset makers to tweak their Android user experience so that it stands apart from all the other Android handsets sitting on their store shelves.

Consider what Motorola has done. Motorola has never shipped a "stock" Android device. Every single one of its Android smartphones has included Motorola and carrier-specific customizations, such as its Motoblur user interface skin. Same goes for HTC. Though HTC shipped some stock Android phones in the early days, the bulk of its Android smartphones come with its Sense user interface taking control. The same applies to Samsung, which ships the bulk of its Android devices with its TouchWiz user interface on board.

Each of these three user interface skins has pluses and minuses. They prioritize certain aspects of the usability, while downplaying others. They also make it easier for the hardware maker and network operator to push branded services on which they want to capitalize. The idea makes sense. After all, how can the retail sales staff pitch three different smartphones to potential customers if they all have identical software on board? It makes the sales reps' jobs harder.

The bottom line here is that stock Android devices will continue to be a relatively rare thing. The Nexus handsets will showcase each new Android platform in leading-edge hardware. Nearly every other Android smartphone, however, will be "differentiated."

HTC provided an update to its Ice Cream Sandwich update strategy on its Facebook page.

"HTC has been working hard to get its Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades ready, and we're excited to announce that our first round of ICS upgrades will roll out by the end of March for the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation 4G and HTC Sensation XE, followed soon there after by the HTC Sensation XL," the company said.

There's more. HTC also added some additional phones to the ICS list - the Incredible S, Desire S and the Desire HD.

Motorola has added a few more devices to its ICS upgrade schedule - Photon 4G, Atrix 4G, Atrix 2 and the Electrify will all see Android 4.0 at some point during the course of Q3 2012.

A list from Motorola published on its Owner's Forum shows where certain of the manufacturer's Android models stand in the update process and includes a timeframe for the Ice Cream Sandwich updates.

musa-1.png

musa-2.png

Thanks Phonearena

Incredible 2 will get ICS in next 3 months, Declared by HTC. Wait for it.

As announced by verizon dt 03/06/2012 a list of verizon phones getting icecream sandwich update

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

HTC:

• HTC ThunderBolt™
  • DROID Incredible 2 by HTC
  • HTC Rhyme™
  • HTC Rezound™

Motorola:

• Motorola XOOM
  • DROID BIONIC™
  • DROID RAZR™
  • DROID RAZR™ MAXX™
  • DROID 4
  • DROID XYBOARD 8.2
  • DROID XYBOARD 10.1

Samsung:

• Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 7.7

LG:

• Spectrum™ by LG

For Some Europe countries ICS update for Samsung Galaxy S2 have been already rolled out on 13th March 2012. UK mobiles to be expected by today. But until now, it is not released yet.

Check the external link for the status update for Samsung Galaxy S2. http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/SGSII-ICS-CRS

Edited by santhoshavanoor

Sony has detailed its Ice Cream Sandwich rollout plans for its Xperia lineup. Starting off the update rollout will be the Xperia Arc S, Xperia Neo V and Xperia Ray, and the update should start rolling out in mid-April for those devices. Then in the "late May/early June" window, Sony will be updating the Xperia Arc, Play, Neo, Mini, Mini Pro, Pro, Active, and the Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman as well.

Sony has officially announced that it will start its Android 4.0 upgrade for the 2011 line of Xperia smartphones today. Initially, this update is for Xperia arc S, Xperia neo V and Xperia ray owners located in Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and Norway. The software rollout will expand to other global markets over the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The Ice Cream Sandwich update is not being conducted over the air, therefore, you will need to tether your device to a PC. Those with eligible handsets can head on over to http://www.sonymobile.com/update and follow the instructions to perform the upgrade.

Edited by Karthik R

Updated! Finally ICS is here! I own the Nexus S 4G and have received the OTA update. I dont know for how long it has been available since till last week, I had a rooted phone with a leaked ICS Rom anyway. I had decided to switch back to unrooting the handset and the moment I did that, I received the OTA update. I am now presently on ICS 4.0.4 Build IMM76D. Nothing much different from the ROM I had been using earlier (Peter Crespo 4G ICS) so I am more or less used to working on ICS.

Sony Xperia S

While there is no official word yet, one of the members of Sony support staff commented on their forum that the official ICS update for the Xperia S will start rolling out by late May/early June.