Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kundalus

Does Quad-Core Really Makes a Difference in Mobile Computing?

Hi!

As we all know that a blitz of quad-core processor powered mobile phones were recently announced in this years MWC.

I have a question in mind. Does a quad-core processor really makes a difference in the way we consume media/mobile applications?

Currently I'm using a Motorola Photon which has a dual-core proccy and is capable enough to play 1080p movies with ease. Also, i actually dint find any great difference in a single core processor and a dual core processor apart from playing HD videos & slightly better multi-tasking.

But how much difference will a quad core processor make in a day to day life apart from playing some high-end games with 3D graphics (or will it actually make a difference).

The other question is.... What will enhance a usability of a Mobile device? Increasing hardware or creating a software which is more interactive even in a single core processor with better functionality & user interface?

I don't recall anyone picking up a dual-core phone and complaining about how sluggish it is! Quad-core is just an overkill. Android OS and apps are not ready to take advantage of four cores and majority of the apps you regularly use works absolutely fine on a 1Ghz single core CPU. What’s the point of paying for technology that you can’t take advantage of?

Bottom line, while a quad-core CPU in your smartphone would give you bragging rights, it wouldn’t offer much more.

Apps and OS will also be made ... with time ,,, but as of now it is real overkill....

I don't recall anyone picking up a dual-core phone and complaining about how sluggish it is! Quad-core is just an overkill. Android OS and apps are not ready to take advantage of four cores and majority of the apps you regularly use works absolutely fine on a 1Ghz single core CPU. What’s the point of paying for technology that you can’t take advantage of?

Bottom line, while a quad-core CPU in your smartphone would give you bragging rights, it wouldn’t offer much more.

Let's face it... What's the point in having a super-duper smart phone if we don't even have bragging rights!!!!

:boxing: l

I do agree with Maulik here that for present times - quad cores doesn't make much of a difference. But if we compare first gen single core smartphones to the current gen dual cores , it'd not be fair to say that we don't see any noticeable difference in performance. Well if you are just using ur phone for regular mobile browsing , making calls and messaging , then it doen't matter , but if you play latest Gameloft 3D games , watch HD video's alot or heavy web browsing with flash content or do a lot of multitasking , which is what an smartphone is essentially made for, you would definately feel a noticeable difference.

So as Maulik mentioned, in due time when market will be crowded with quad cores , there will be better games , better apps that can make use of it and our dual cores will lag behind.

Nevertheless, i also second the point raised by Dipesh Bhai that instead of going with heavy duty, power hungry hardware mods, smartphone manfacturers should focus more on S/W and H/W intergration, which always give better results. I really adore Nokia and there symbian software base for this and one of the perfect examples in android lineup is definately SGS2's Exynos with Touchwiz integration.

Edited by dev997

My feeling is android is turning into windows vista.alike

Why Google is failing to optimize Android and why do we need quad core with 1 gb 2 gb ram.?

Isn't it following footsteps of winked vista?

I think creating a super smart phone is not the only way. Creating a very close integration between the hardware and software is the right way. Htc does it by Sense. Though many may not like it but an integration like blur or sense or even touchwiz is very important when it comes to user interface.

A quad-core may b the ultimate phone but how much difference will it actually make. Adding more cores will not multiply the performance but will enhance the output by a few percentage points. Certainly in that sense a better integration with hardware and software will certainly win.

It might not be a right thing to compare iphones but with a single core cpu, iphone 4 was a better performer fit same apps and games if we.compare it with android.

Another issue here is with more cores, the phone will only become a powerhouse with more power consumption every second of usage. In that case will a super smartphone with quad-core processors really enrich the usage?

Atrix can be a right example. It was dubbed to b the first dual core processor powered phone but it did not live upto the hype. And over the period, all the manufacturers have started looking at integrating the software. one more possible reason would be they see a brighter future in integration.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I think quad core does make difference. May be android is not able to utilize full performance of multy core environment but i am sure windows 8 does .

Manufacturer always have big vision than us thats why we have always new and best devices in our hand .

Please be+

Thanks!!!

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

You show me even one android phone which properly takes benefit of dual core hardware.

Android is so fragmented and so bizzare that I dont think Google with its current business model can integrate hardware and software together for wonderful experience.

Basic flaw in android is its implementation and freedom of hardware choice.

Tell me honestly which phone can take full benefit of dual core architecture and hives flawless performance?

Gingerbread is not optimized for dual core.

Ics was promised to take full benefit but how many odm or OEM have released ics rom?

Its following carrot and donkey analogy.

Best implementation is apple and Microsoft.

Apple does not release hardware till their software is ready.

Microsoft gives strict guidelines known as chasis one chasis two.

Through this both makes sure software can take full advantage of hardware.

I have ATRIX as well iPhone 4S and wp7 Samsung focus.

ATRIX keeps its charge for barely 12-18 hrs.

Heating as usual. It had hit 52 celcius temp while playing deadspace game.

Its all result of half baked hardware.

iPhone 4S bloody last two days on same network environ.

Only heating I have noticed is once when charging.just once in last two months.

Samsung focus is just single core and browsing on focus is just superb.I will rate it higher than iPhone as well.

Battery lasts for 2-3 days.

Now what is inference.all three phone share same wifi network and same cellular network.

What does all this indicate.

Wp7 is most well engineered and excellent experience overall.

Only lacking part is app store is lacking.

iPhone is clear winner and all rounder.

Android is looser. Always heated up always barely lasting a day.

@ashokbhai, precisely, that's what i want to say. You are pretty satisfied in one single core & one dual core phone. It gives ample amount of power to use all the applications. Today almost all the applications can be integrated with a smartphone and its even more interactive. In that case how much difference will a quad-core make in your daily usage. At the end its just an additional core which assists your day to day application usage. With not integration between hardware and software, and all custom roms on its way for almost all android phones, we just see more of experimentation than enriching our user experiences(there may a second thought for having custom roms).

@Deepakbhai, windows 8 can optimize quad-cores but usage of a PC can not be compared with a phone. Pc has far better multitasking and it has its own pros and cons. But the reason to have a better hardware/mobile device is also to have a better user friendliness and functionality. Which at times even the open source android lacks. I see lot of ppl having issue with sudden reboot & heating in android but in my experience with iphone for about 4-6 months i never saw such and issue. Also even windows 7.5 is pretty smooth and easy.

With never ending hardware upgrades & need of a far better software and hardware integration, what difference will a quad-core make and that too when we still dont have a proper Android OS optimized for dual core phones?

No matter how many cores or single. Having used quite a few android phones I can ascertain one thing. They haven't managed the most important factor battery last.

However smart your phone may be but if if it lacks stamina or power to last then its a let down.

its like having a ferrari or lambhorgini and getting it fueled tank full after every 100 kms.

whats the point of such powerful engine capacity or bhp or torque. :ranting::censored3::nerves:

but from what i read motorola droid razr maxx is about to change this with its 3500 mah battery.

hope it actually lasts as its reviewed.

Ferrari or Lambo have 100ltr+ capacity tank. so it can go more than 600km... 300~400km in sports mode.

Just fyi .

BTW its not about half baked hardware or software. Android consumes more power becoz of its Kernel structure. IMO Symbian is technically better than iOS or Anndroid.

It can run on high end phones as well as on stone age phones. And consumes very less power.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

• Like 1

Hardware is changing day by day and to coop with hardware, software also needs to change and vice versa. its a circle. And it is also money spinner for companies, if no new software and hardware them what will they earn.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Ferrari or Lambo have 100ltr+ capacity tank. so it can go more than 600km... 300~400km in sports mode.

Just fyi .

BTW its not about half baked hardware or software. Android consumes more power becoz of its Kernel structure. IMO Symbian is technically better than iOS or Anndroid.

It can run on high end phones as well as on stone age phones. And consumes very less power.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

What you have mentioned is already well established and what I was trying to say that current gen smart phones are super cars that need fueling every 100 kms and not like the actual performance as you said. ;-) :-P B-)

Hardware is changing day by day and to coop with hardware, software also needs to change and vice versa. its a circle. And it is also money spinner for companies, if no new software and hardware them what will they earn.

This is real deal.

How will companies earn their mullah?

This is real deal.

How will companies earn their mullah?

@Vandan, Thats exactly what i'm trying to say.

If hardware changes so fast that a two month old phone gets outdated with its hardware and half baked os, this, doesnt make sense. Coz in android the hardware change is so often and os is so unstable that manufacturers use it to hook customers on new products. OS needs to be stabilized. Otherwise having a Ferrari or Lambo without basic necessities in it is of no use.

@ashokb if the companies will only aim at earning out of it then i doubt that users will stick to them for long. Look at symbian and iOS. People using them stick on it for so long. coz of its basic functionality and a stable OS, which is easy to use and doesnt get outdated so fast.

I'm not against android, its far better than other Mobile OS but it has to be more stable and just adding extra cores will only sell to the desired ones but it wont be used to its maximum possible level

sorry to bump this old thread but now that quite a few quad core phones are launched.

any one can update us about their real life usage and all?

I am of opinion that even with ICS , android s**ks as it still cant use all 4/5 cores available.

its still ****ing badly as CM9 also cant get it fully functional and device manu.still withold their drivers for various components.

and google is already dangling carrot know as Jelly bean ( android v5) in front of us.

honestly speaking , android is going like windows xp to vista.

vista bumped up hardware requirements so much and still failed.

in analogy --- ICS== vista and lets hope jelly bean fixes it.

May be you are little too harsh. Android is productive but battery life and stability is still an issue.

I may be little harsh on android here.Agree but when all developer community is trying hard , why cant this stupid companies release drivers and get done with it.

may be they can outsource their product support to CM.

I am not sure since how many months tenderloin community ( HP TOUCHPAD) is trying hard to fix the wifi issue, but still companies are hell bent to not release wifi driver .

and honestly evveryone said ICS will fix dual core support and become multicore compliant.

since when we required quad cores for running mobile phone?

Our mainstream laptops are yet to get on quadcore bandwagon.,why android mobile needs quadcore?

this is what bugs me most.

sorry to bump this old thread but now that quite a few quad core phones are launched.

any one can update us about their real life usage and all?

I am of opinion that even with ICS , android s**ks as it still cant use all 4/5 cores available.

its still ****ing badly as CM9 also cant get it fully functional and device manu.still withold their drivers for various components.

and google is already dangling carrot know as Jelly bean ( android v5) in front of us.

honestly speaking , android is going like windows xp to vista.

vista bumped up hardware requirements so much and still failed.

in analogy --- ICS== vista and lets hope jelly bean fixes it.

you my friend definitely need to spend a year or two with android phones. you will only then know that how every functionality you have a solution

on android.i cant even imagine listing the possibilities. but only and only if you are a smartphone user.

in today's date there is no other mobile os as flexible & customizable like android.

as for anyone who cribs about windows. look at the job it has done like no other. its the os for the masses again. they had issues through out moving from xp to vista but eventually managed everything with win 7.

but pre xp days, have used a dos or win 98 machine for long then you will know what a breather xp was then.

now win 8 is coming with more excitement, improvement & promises.

Now this kind of analogy with availability & constant en devour for development is commendable.

I did use android on all formats.started with original galaxy s then felt it sluggish and bought photon as it promised speed and all with its dual core.

ended up with touchpadd as well ,went through all kinds of ROMS available and figured out android is lot of pain in wrong place.

its more pain than utility with manufacturer's witholding drivers for WIFI and android updates being slow and on mood of carriers;

how we can beat that?

android updates are major pain and daily flashing the nightlies and hunting for stable version is most problematic.

that coupled with lots of major app which are still not on android.

and analogy with windows is due to fact that hardware requirements are getting crazier by the day.

how many of us have laptop with quad core processors?

lets talk about android updates,

how many of routine android users know about clockwork mod recovery and how many of day to day users name what the hell is dalvik cache wipe?

how often you ended up flashing community modded rom than getting official rom update?

how often you got gingerbread update withing month of its release by google?

I will tell you story in my own family.

My buaji wanted smart phone . I gave her iPhone,I just had to show her basic functionality of iOS.home button and where all is contacts and how to call.that one hr or so I spent thats it.

I had synced the iphone and loaded my apps on it.and told her explore it as you feel like.

the lady who was not using internet, has asked me to get her net connection.

she is retired teacher and she got used to iOS so easily that i hardly had to teach her anything specific about it.she is so happy about its overall utility and she has figured out majority of things and she is coming from nokia phone.

and on another hand is my sister.technophil and geeky type of girl.

she has t mobile and galaxy s 4g and I hear complaints only about it and she has to wipe dalvik like every 10-15 days.She is on stock gingerbread rom and no modded rom's

now who will teach elder lady how to wipe dalvik and what impression she will have?

Edited by ashokb
  • Like 1