Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sunandoghosh

Grand Combination - Possible Or Not...?

GRAND COMBINATION - POSSIBLE OR NOT...?????

LAPTOP - USING ONLY MONITOR + KEYBOARD + MOUSE (SEPARATELY USB ATTACHED)

PLUS

DESKTOP COMPUTER CASE/CABINET ONLY - CONSISTING OF MOTHERBOARD, HARD DISK, RAM

Respected Tech gurus nerds and dear friends

Well I am having a desktop presently with 2 GB of RAM. (I am very soon upgrading to 4 GB of RAM) Also I have 400 GB hard disk with certain heavy applications like SAP, Oracle, CRM, XI, Netweaver etc on it. Also I use 915 Intel cheapset.

Now I am habituated to this high end machine.

However the laptop has just 40 Gb of hard disk and 256 MB of Ram.

WHAT I AM PLANNING:

I want to just carry in my suitcase the cabinet (consisting of 915 Intel Motherboard + 4 GB RAM + 400 GB HDD).

AND i want to use my laptop's monitor, keyboard and mouse (usb attached)....along with the above cabinet

MY QUESTION:

CAN I REPLACE DESKTOP'S MONITOR/KEYBOARD WITH LAPTOP....?????????

Hope i have been able to express my requirements...??

Plz reply with suggestions/ ideas/ways................

regards

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

Keyboard and Mouse shouldn't be a problem.

Don't know about the monitor.

Also, generally, people here don't take my advise seriously. Some of those who did, seem to have mysteriously disappeared from earth.

Shucks, I feel bad, trying to rag a Newbie ... just ignore my cr*p (even if it smells, pretend, it doesn't exist).

u may need to accompany a UPS to power ur desktop cabinet, (but than it will be good to accompany a LCD instead of laptop)

Edited by amitstg

Ummm... firstly you'll get caught for piracy.

Secondly its not practial to lug your CPU around. I can imagine it would be very heavy by itself.

However if it is very necessary buy a small light LCD monitor & keyboard.

But who in their right mind carries around SAP & Oracle!!!!

1) how will you carry ur cabinate in ur suitcase???

2) even if u disassemble it and make ur suitcase as a cabniate ! where will u get a portable powersupply

3) even if u do that u have to get a way to attach a labtop monitor to ur pc

if u are sucessfull tel me how :)

i dont think ne1 will like a idea of having a suitecase as a cabinate @least i dont but on ur HIGH END SYSTEM i am ready to make an exception

400 gb = 15000 INR

915 + 3.0 GHZ ht intel = 13500 INR

4 gb ram = 8800 INR

are u a hi end game tester or something :quest:

PS :- dude if u can afford 50 k + desktop u can surely take a high end labtop

Edited by abhay

No chance to manage this. Because u will face many problem like Power Problem and many problem in ur hardware due to portability issue.

So i am agree with abhay. U will have to purchase a laptop according ur requirement otherwise try ur idea and ready for many new hardware problem and greatest troubleshooting.

Thanks and Take Care!

PS: Bhuets, ur advice is always help ful for any one.

well agreed..

SMPS would be a problem..

people suggesting... buy high end laptop...

but which company sells a laptop with such high configuration??

i think time for assembled laptops??

i believe there were companies in hydrabad and banglore providing customised laptops..

If u want customised laptop. Just contact to Dell Corporation number. They will give u complete help.

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Dude I will not call this impossible ... but hey it is gonna look rather odd ... I did some quick calcs ...

U can get a porta SMPS from IBM (Mini series) the SMPS is compitable with ATX boards. and can comfortably fit on a corner of the suit / briefcase.

Keyboard (instead of the Lappy one .. u can choose a portable Twist KB - yeah the same thing which u can twist and fold... which looks like a plastic sheet... available at lamington for about 1200)

Board / HDD / Rams will have to be attached hard onto the Suitcase ... again not too tough a task.

The actual problem arises when u stare at the monitor ... but i am sure u can get an LCD, something like the Dell 12" / 14" LCD should do (yes the kind they use in Contact Centre training rooms :) )

So I do not doubt the feasiblity, and if u are ready to experiment... I am all in for it - Free service - and can come down to fiddle on a Sat / Sunday (if in Mumbai).

But better still will be going in for lappy's of custom configurations, and it is not just dell which wags bets on custom configs... we do have local guys too!

Cheers

Ashok

Ooh Boy...

everything fine... but i cant imagine how you will power your monitor...

CRT consumes A LOT of power.

Use an LCD monitor and go for low power processor if u can.

that is what I said ... LCD 12" / 14" and now u even have dual power ones ... so u can run it on the DC from the SMPS 5.5 - 12.5 - 5.5 - 12.5

Cheers

Ashok

Hey sunandoghosh, you have posted the samething even in vinuthomas.com .But u posted hear also??I think you didnt get better help their...

Ooh Boy...

everything fine... but i cant imagine how you will power your monitor...

CRT consumes A LOT of power.

Use an LCD monitor and go for low power processor if u can.

46492[/snapback]

how he will carry the CRT monitor everywhere! thats a more apprent problem than power!

hehe , lol,

given the crazyness i can do, powering the CRT is a bigger problem  than carrying it :)

lol

46505[/snapback]

lol :)

welcome mate ... any help needed ... mess me ... or call me at 93226ASHOK (27465)

Cheers

Ashok

if your s/w environment permits then why dont u go for mac mini and a tft screen? look at mac mini

Model: 1.42GHz Mac mini M9971LL/B

Configaration: 1.42GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB DDR333 SDRAM(upgradeble)

ATI Radeon 9200, 32MB DDR video memory with AGP 4X support

80GB Ultra ATA hard drive(upgradeble), Super drive(DVD+RW/CD+RW) DVI or VGA video output

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet

DVI to VGA adapter, One FireWire 400 port; two USB 2.0 ports; DVI output; VGA output (adapter included)

Headphone/audio line out, Power cord

Install/restore DVDs Printed and electronic documentation

Apple keyboard comes with two extra usb port

And look at the size:

Height 2inches, Width 6.5 inches, Depth 6.5 inches, Weight 1.32 kg!

It isnt always easy to work with macs, especially in an environment dominated by Microsoft for everything. In linux, atleast you have softwares which can work with microsoft filetypes etc. and even run applications meant for Windows........but i doubt if there is such a thing for Mac (Is there? haven't really used mac ever)

Install Linux on Mac. You could go with "Yellow Dog" linux which a linux build designed for Mac.