Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drali

Running Prog Installed On Win 98 Thru Xp

My PC is P-3,800, 2RAMS of 128. 2 O.S-win98 at C drive & XP at D drive.what i m doing is dat running prog (installed on98) in XP just to avoid reinstallation of same prog in XP.

Experts advice me is there any harm in it?

I don't think there should be any harm until u delete/uninstall the program in Windows 98...

no harm in that, but if it is a system software like anti-virus, firewall, etc., then it is not recommended. Such system softwares most probably won't even run on the other OS.

Whats the purpose of having win98 and XP running on the same machine? Theres an option for upgrading the OS when installing XP so you will have all the programs which you installed in 98 in XP.

no..what you are saying isn't possible. you can try running the programs but most of the time you will get errors like registry corrupt. incorrect path. dll not found etc...

true... but if u want to save hard disk space and avoid re-installation of the same program in XP ... u may want to export the programs Registry entries from win 98 registry and add it in to XP registry. then the programs will work fine.

Many programs, like WinRAR, WinZIP, Winamp, etc can safely run in such cases, coz these programs create required Registry values and files/folders automatically in the other OS w/o ne problem...

But as Arun said, many s/w like antivirus programs will not run in the other OS w/o installing it! So u can just check the programs whether they run or not w/o installing in other OS :)