Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kshah

Are Gsm Connections Cheaper Than Cdma

Hi,

Even in GSM you get good deals, I bought LG KG110 (500 phone book, browser) for Rs. 1999 + 2 year incoming + dealer unlocked phone for me. Isnt it a good deal then any reliance deals? Plus Rs. 4500 worth Airtel to airtel talk time

As I have always believed if one does not need data then GSM is good option and this is my first connection after 4 years. If feels so good because your handset is yours truly, you can use with any operator.

Edited by kshah

I don't know if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere, but anyway I think it would be a good idea if members post here the current scenario in GSM in different circles so that RCL users contemplating switch to GSM can get more upto date info here itself.

I feel that since handsets are not linked to the service provider in GSM, discussion reg. handsets need not be made here. However if some particular model is linked to the service provider at attractive rates, then this should find mention here. The various GSM tariff plans and add-on packs etc can be discussed here.

I will post here in a day or two after getting more info.

As for the Airtel Bundled offer, Idea also has a bundled offer with a Motto handset. The advantage is that Idea offers full 2 years incoming AND outgoing validity with talk time equal to the price of the handset ...which as far as I remember is Rs. 1,999/- or whereabouts.

Not sure what calling tariffs these operators are offering. If someone knows for sure please post. I kinda remember Airtel advertising 50 p/min for its bundled offer.

As for non-bundled offers, you can get good stand alone offers in GSM too. I just got a new Idea SIM for Rs. 550 with a 1 year validity and Rs. 506 talk time. Tariff is same as the Airtel Friendz plan ie. 10 paise per min Idea-Idea calls in Happy Hrs ( 3-5pm and 10-8am). Idea-Idea local SMS @10 paise and all other national SMS at 25 paise, etc, etc. :)

Have gotten rid of my Airtel Friendz connection as the network sux for voice calls (is v good for SMS tho). They dont even reply to emails. Idea is way better in Poona.

Edited by raccoon

I think now GSM have better options then CDMA like HUTCH-Sagem Bundel you will get 18000 minutes H2H local free 3 year validity and good colour GPRS phone. similary in Airtel FM phone with 2 years incoming is available for 1699.

Airtel Tarrifs are like any other mobile connections. You can use various type of recharge vouchers to change your tarriff. Its really difficult to understand for me but then my requirement is for incoming only so not bothered.

As told, I am not required to recharge for 2 years.

Hutch already facing Scarce Resource and Call Dropping and Congetion is High in Maharashtra (This was BPL Before)

I Still bet on Reliance and Idea for Quality

In delhi IDEA is not so great for the network.

Hutch already facing Scarce Resource and Call Dropping and Congetion is High in Maharashtra (This was BPL Before)

I Still bet on Reliance and Idea for Quality

Very true. I'v just shifted from Airtel to Idea because after using Airtel for 3 months, Iv had a really bad experience with it - VERY frequent call drops, poor voice clairty, fluctuating signal strength, total network outages, no online recharge facility thru my bank, etc. Idea has none of these problems.

However Iv discovered one problem with Idea - the network seems to not accept group SMSes! On phones which have this facility, If you try sent a SMS to multiple recipients only the 1st recipient's SMS gets thru and all the others fail. Of course the SMSes eventually get thru as most phones try to resend the SMSes. But depending on the phone, this takes several minutes. This is a very irritating problem. Airtel seems to have no problems of any kind with SMSing.

Reliance is good for voice calls ...but lately the network quality has gone down, for sure. And for SMSing, Reliance is the worst choice ...and has multiple problems!

Hutch I have not used personally, but frequently have problems calling my friends who are on Hutch. For sure the network is not upto the mark.

I guess Idea rulez in Maharashtra circle!