Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
city02

Cam-cells Tread On Digicam Turf

SEOUL/TOKYO: Asia’s top mobile phone makers are rolling out handsets equipped with cameras so advanced, many consumers may come to the conclusion they don’t need a separate digital camera any more.

That prospect should worry digital camera makers such as Canon, which could lose potential customers to a slew of snazzy new phones that take pictures with up to three megapixels of resolution, analysts say.

Megapixels are the measure of how many million picture elements are captured in a digital snapshot and one of the key ways digital camera makers differentiate their products.

“Camera phones are advancing to the point where they can attract consumers away from digital cameras,” said Koo Hee-jin, an analyst at LG Investment & Securities.

Analysts have been warning about the threat camera phones pose to the digital camera industry since the first one was launched in Japan in late ’00. But so far there has been little impact — even Sharp’s introduction of the world’s first megapixel phone in May ’03 didn’t appear to affect demand.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articl...507,curpg-1.cms

I dont think they really effect digicam sales.Becos the quality of any cam phone cnt be compared to that of digicams Atleast with what we get in india.Anyway the only camera phone really worth buying are samsung ones even nokia cant match them.I think more research has to be done on refresh rates and quality before this can happen

But most people prefer compact things, isnt that the reason why the size and weight of phones was reduced. As long as the quality of the picture is as good or very close to digicam quality most of the ppl will go for the combo unless they are professional cameramen or crib for quality. Well the market in India is something different though, with most latest phones coming out after a year or so of their launch in other countries it'll be long time till we get to see some real cam phones.

I jus want to add that professional photographers or wannabes or ppl interested in photography always insist on quality.

And for them quality doesn't mean how good it looks on the LCD Display of the damn Cam. Coz there everything looks good. What matters to them is the print of that Picture on paper. Thats where Cellphones fall short of quality.

Most of the timepass kind of camera buyers wouldn't really go for gr8 qualities. For them, be it a DigiCam(now avl for even less than 2000 bucks) or a CAM phone wont make any difference, coz ultimately the pic would remain on their PC as a memory or at max would be burned on a CD !

Chirag i dun thing the pic still remains on pc..

If you give the pic in a floppy, to a shop where they take digital photos, they will

give the print in less than 10 Rs

;)

Chirag i dun thing the pic still remains on pc..

If you give the pic in a floppy, to a shop where they take digital photos, they will

give the print in less than 10 Rs

Well well.. i dont know where we r headed... but anyways!

A regular film can be developed at Rs. 4.50/- per print whereas a digital cam pic has to be digitally enhanced more and hence its printed at Rs. 10/pic. I've been doing this all the while for my projects!