Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Vishal Gupta

Windows Tips-n-Tricks

Guys!

There r many tips & tricks, tweaks & a lot of hidden secrets for Windows.

So in this thread we can post the tweaks and other things, that we know and that can be useful to other members!

Here I'm posting one trick to add Copy To and Move to in Context menu, when we right-click on any file or folder in Windows.

ADDING COPY TO & MOVE TO IN CONTEXT MENU

To add Copy to... and Move to... context menu options, Click on Start->Run and type Regedit, and goto

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\

Now create two new keys:

Copy To , set the default value to {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

Move To , set the default value to {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

Now when you right click on a file or folder, above the send to option there are two new options: Copy to Folder and Move to Folder

You can copy or move files or directories to other folders with this.

and for those, who r unfamiliar to Registry, I'm attaching a file. First extract the file then u hv to only double-click on the extracted REG file and when it ask R u sure....., then click on Yes and then OK. That's it!

This trick and lots of more tricks, tweaks, tutorials, themes and lots more can be found here:

http://www.askVG.com/

Vishal.zip

Good work vishal ;)

Hey guys lets share some visual styles and themes for windows xp also.

am using StyleXP for this, what all possiblities exist and where ill get more themes.

I download themes form www.bfarber.com

Are u guys aware what all am talking about ?? or ill give some details about it.

Man.... the site has got really stunning themes... Excellent.... Beautiful ;) .... too good. Have downloaded some and will try out.

I think u people are aware of Windowblinds,cursorXp,logonXp etc from

http://www.stardock.com/

i use styleXP not windowblind. i got this theme APPLE, no1 can make out whether am using windows or MAC OS :P

My pc has four partition (C,D,E,F) xp in loaded in D. partition F is NTFS all other are FAT. is it possible to password protect (from other users) a folder in F. (as i know only NTFS folders can be protected). Presently F drive is totally blank. please guide me step by step.

<POST MERGED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Open My computer, Goto F: Drive and select the folder that U want to protect, Right-click on it and then click Properties.

On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

i have tried that earlier but, "make this folder private option" is not highlighted, and the help says "This option is only available for the folders in ur user profile (my documents,desktop,start,favorites)", this means as this is folder on a separate drive, so i cant give it a password"

Try to uncheck the Use Simple File Sharing checkbox in Folder Options.

Here is a complete Windows Registry Guide.

It contains many things, like Registry Introduction, Structure, Problems & Solutions, Tips & Secrets, Editing the registry and many more.

Its a very little windows help file.

So take a look. :)

D/l Complete Windows Registry Guide

Tweak UI for Windows XP

It will gives u access to quite a few system settings that are otherwise not readily available, and can help gain that extra inch of power from XP. You can download it from www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp. You can apply following settings.

Under General, you can turn off display effects such as fading and animations. Under Explorer, uncheck the boxes for "Allow Web content to be added to the desktop" and "Enable smooth scrolling". Expand the Explorer tree, select thumbnails and move the Image Quality slider to around the center.

Next, expand the My Computer > AutoPlay branch. Under drives, you can disable AutoPlay for all drives, thus reducing this overhead. Under the Types branch, you can choose to disable AutoPlay for CD, DVD and Removable drives.

Under the Command Prompt branch, you can configure special keys to automatically complete file and directory names, as on a UNIX or LINUX system. If you have a single user system, you can have XP logon automatically from Logon > Autologon.

Under Logon > Unread Mail, You can disable the notification of new E Mail message for each user. Not only is this more secure, but it also reduce the overheads of polling for new message for every user.

THIS DESCRIPTION IS NOT FOR NOVICE OR NEW USER OF WINDOWS!!!

Take Care!

hey guys for tweaking winxp....u can also rad 1 of my article...u can read it from here

Windows XP explained by Akshat 'desijallad' Jain

Simple Version of Above Tutorial

luv..

and please start system restore option before using the tiops...

its a precautionary measure

desijallad

Forcing user to enter Password during Login in Windows 9X

Unlike Windows NT, 2000 and XP, the login window in Windows 9X and ME can easily be bypassed by pressing the [ESC] key, or by clicking the Cancel Button. To prevent this from happening, first make sure that the user profiles are created and enabled, and that the "Include Start Menu and Program Groups in User Settings" option in the Control Panel is enabled for each user.

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode by hitting the [F8] key during start up, and choose Safe Mode from the Boot Option. This is very important, because if something goes wrong, you can always reboot your computer in safe mode and rectify the problem.

Type "regedit.exe" in Start > Run. Find the following key in the Registry:

HKEY_USERS/Default/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. In the right hand pane, right-click and choose New String Values, and rename it as "FixLogon". Finally, open the FixLogon entry you have just created, by double clicking on the right pane of the Registry Editor windows, and specifying the following command as its Value data: rundll.exe user.exe, EXITWINDOWS. Reboot your PC to save the change. If you want to restore previous setting, simply delete this key.

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Improving Serial Port Performance

You can get more out of your serial connection and get your modem working its fastest with the help of Device Manager.

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. This will show you a list of all the devices attached to your PC. Look for the Port (COM) communication port. Right click and select Properties, and click the port settings tab. Increase the bits per second from "9600" to "128000" and Flow Control to "Hardware". Then, click on the Advance tab and set the Receive and Transmit buffers to Maximum. Click OK and close all Windows. Your COM port will now run at full throttle.

Speed Up the Start Menu in Windows XP

The Start Menu take a quite a while to display the list of programs installed. In order to get Windows XP to display the list faster, you will have to edit some registry settings. Remember to back up your regitry before making any changes.

To speed up, goto Start > Run and type regedit. This will open the registry window. Then navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Scroll down in the Right panel and double click on "menushowdelay". In the Value Data box, change the default value for the menu speed from 400 to a lesser number, such as 1 or even 0. Click OK You should now find a significant increase in the startmenu speed.

More Next Time.

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Thanks to CRACKER, about there script.

But there is a warning as I say earlier.

THIS DESCRIPTION IS NOT FOR NOVICE OR NEW USER OF WINDOWS!!!

After this if any one want, he/she can apply it to its Windows Application but take same precaution in Advance. The Precaution are describe as follows:

1. Always read the complete description of any Tips carefully.
2. If possible try to confirm it to second person.
3. Always apply one Tricks or Tips at a time. Because, if any problem arise, you or an knowledgeable person can help you.
4. Always make a restore point so you can make change to previous setting, if something goes wrong.

Here first I describe some procedure of System Restore for help:

To create a restore point.

Follow the procedure step by step:

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and Then on System Restore option.

Click on Create A Restore Point radio button.

And Click Next.

In new box, give the description of the restore point such as Registry Setting Change. The System also adds the Date and Time Automatically for you.

Wait till the restore point created and u will get creation message.

To restores the system to a previous restore point.

For this open the System Restore again, As described Above.

The Restore My Computer to Earlier Time option is already checked, if not the checked it.

Click on next.

Here u has to select the Restore point which u created previously.

And Click Next twice.

The System will restart. And it restored to previous setting.

If nothing happen or restoration fail. Then try it again with new restore point if any detected. If the problem not solved, than post on RIMWEB for help. You will found great help from here.

Hope U will not get in trouble.

Now, I want to share something with Mr. Cracker.

Thanks for great but concise description.

But you did not tell the disadvantage of these registry changes, which definitely possible. I will describe it one by one.

Disable Automatic Restart in the event of a BSOD

As everyone knows, Windows takes restart automatically, when Windows find some critical error. If we stop this, then we may get in some major trouble (Like Window Crashed). It may be a Hardware or Software trouble.

NoLowDiskSpaceChecks won't check if you are low on diskspace and pop up a balloon telling you

If we closed this warning, the window will not tell us about the diskspace condition. But due to disk space problem, Window may crashed and give many problem and also bad sectors on the Hard Disk. Because this option is also security and help to us. As I think, it is not related to the Speed so far.

Change MenuShowDelay (Start Menu load speed)

Oh IC, you did not read this thread carefully, very great (Because as you told to puneet). I already describe this change with full detail in my previous post. Is u seeing it? Its OK.

The Windows Recent Document’s list is also helpful for some one, who wants to access the document to which he opens recently.

But Above all you do a great a good job. Yeh Dil Mange More!!! But with some description.

More comments are invited. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks and Take Care!

Edited by Vishal Gupta

How to replace the boot screen in Windows XP

Boot screen is actually a file ntoskrnl.exe, which is situated in %windir%\system32\ folder.

There r many ways to change it!

A.) D/l a readymade ntoskrnl.exe file from net, like from http://www.themexp.org

Then

1. Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe).

2. Download the ntoskrnl.exe (most of the time it'll be a zip file) to your computer.

3. Extract ntoskrnl.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32.

4. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk).

5. Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe.

6. Reboot your computer as you normally would.

B.) U can use s/w, which can automatically do the same.

Like Style Xp: http://www.tgtsoft.com/

Boot Skin: http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

C.) There is nother way!

Create a 16 color (4-bit) 640x480 bitmap, name it Boot.bmp and put it in c:\windows. then edit the boot.ini file. add /bootlogo /noguiboot to the entry of ur XP.

Windows 98 Product key

When Windows is installed, the Setup program requires that u type in a 25 character product key that is printed at the back of the CD (jewel) case or on a certificate on the cover of the Getting Started/User Manual. During Windows installation, the product key is stored in the Windows Registry. You can find it on your computer by clicking Start > Run and typing regedit. Click the plus sign to expands the branches in the Registry until u reach: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version. Scroll down the right pane until u find The product key.

Thanks and Take Care!

Windows 98 Product key

When Windows is installed, the Setup program requires that u type in a 25 character product key that is printed at the back of the CD (jewel) case or on a certificate on the cover of the Getting Started/User Manual. During Windows installation, the product key is stored in the Windows Registry. You can find it on your computer by clicking Start > Run and typing regedit. Click the plus sign to expands the branches in the Registry until u reach: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version. Scroll down the right pane until u find The product key.

Thanks and Take Care!

41321[/snapback]

Can you let us know about Windows XP Product key.

I will try my best but as i know till now there is no way to know about the XP product key. Because, XP saved their product key as product ID which i described in Security Thread.

Thanks and Take Care!

well, recently migrated from win98 to winXP with a lot of considerations...

and now it seems that winXP aint so bad after all...

especially since it has a snap-in COM+ architecture, gives better control, so all of you who want their winXP to be blazing fast, can disable the services that are not needed... and there are quite a few .

There is no way to find Product Key in XP using Registry trick!

But there r many s/w which allow u to see the Product key.

I hv one such s/w and interested members can PM if they want it!

who want their winXP to be blazing fast, can disable the services that are not needed... and there are quite a few .

Very true!

Many services r useless and they can be set manual to make ur windows XP faster.

http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-services-t...-set-to-manual/

Thanks Vishal for there fast reply! I also collected information about that. BTW great work.

Some thing to user, Always apply these setting one by one as described by Vishal! and Try to create a new restore point so that if any thing go wrong. You can survive by the help of this restore pint!

Thanks and Take Care!

i am not able to create new folder with name CON in winxp does any body know why?

I will try my best but as i know till now there is no way to know about the XP product key. Because, XP saved their product key as product ID which i described in Security Thread.

Thanks and Take Care!

41708[/snapback]

i have 1 software using it u can chk and even change serial key of winxp

Edited by cracker