• Idea
    • Aircel
    • Spice
    • Reliance
    • TATA Indicom
  3. 3. Which Generation of Technology will you Prefer

• GSM
    • CDMA
    • HSDPA (3G GSM) (7 to 12 Mbps Download in 5 Mhz)
    • EVDO (3G CDMA) (Upto 3.6 mbps download in 1.25 Mhz)

Number Portability is already there in USA, Korea, Japan and all these Country have more CDMA / EVDO Phone then GSM and CDMA Networks are Better equiped t Handle MNP and will require least Upgration

in India all GSM National or Regional Operator have Different Regional Head and Servers and Setup

Hutch and Idea have more Scattered Server Setups with much more Incompatible Networks working as they have Acquired the COmpany and Built this Company in Contrary Tata, and Reliance have Rolled out all India level Network in one go with Centralised CC, Servers and Backbones.

Thas the Reason CDMA Player are Favoing it and GSM are not.

What ever the Reason at their end Customer is gonna Benefit from MNP at MOST

Other reason is GSM has more premium subscribers which they don't want to lose compared to cdma all those who had opted for mobile in 1996-1999(when mtnl launched in Delhi) they can't even think to change numbers and are mostly premium subscribers.

Other reason is GSM has more premium subscribers which they don't want to lose compared to cdma all those who had opted for mobile in 1996-1999(when mtnl launched in Delhi) they can't even think to change numbers and are mostly premium subscribers.

I dont think this is true. ARPU is almost same for both CDMA and GSM. CDMA is more spectrum efficient so people who chosen GSM for what ever the reason will switch over to CDMA if prices are right. Also premium users (GSM) who roams globally will definately prefer GSM as one handset one number. CDMA can not give that convinience so far and also CDMA handsets are really not for users who wants all facilities in one handset.

With prevailing rates there are very few users whose billing is note than 3K (domestic roamers)

I strongly belieave when EVDO will be launched in any CDMA Operator they will flush the EVDO Devices to woo the COnsumers !!!

But at what cost? EVDO devices will be damn too expensive like 6700 and if you go to see, how many people really uses data services?

You wanna Straddle on both Horses Hritik

I am already Running Reliance and Airtel and Taken Platinum Number on Both.

Currently using spice D88 (Dont Laugh waiting for some HSDPA device like HTC Kaiser to Launch in USA)

New 2G Spectrum Policy Release

as per that

1. Airtel and Hutch have to shell out more money as Gross Adusted Revenue Sharing in Some Circel for any Spectrum Beyond 6.5 Mhz
  2. No cap on Number of Operator in any Cricle, New Entrant allowed in GSM or CDMA subject availability of Spectrum.
  3. Now any CDMA Operator who have UASL Licence (Reliance, Tata, BSNL, Airtel, Hutch have) can provide multiple Technology (GSM/CDMA) 2G Service but Pricing of Spectrum will be of combined Spectrum.
  4. Merger and Acquisation Norms eased beyond 10% subject to they dont crosses 40% market share of any Circle by Subscriber or Gross Adjusted Revenue Basis.
  5. Clearly now Reliance will get GSM Spectrum as more Auctiond will be Initiated in 1800, 900 and 800 Band Reliance is Interested in 1800 band for GSM Venture in 6 Circles including Mumbai, Delhi
  6. There are less company left for take over by Reliance in GSM arena but still it can not rulled out. Aircel Operats Exactly in same circle where Reliance already have GSM Network Except for J & K, Tamilnadu and Chennai.So these can be rulled out as Merger Possibility. and Idea will not Interrested to be Merged in Reliance, only Spice which Operate in Karnataka and Punjab could be good Target for Reliance for Takeover ???
  7. 3G Policy is Expectected soon after 2G Policy gets Government Node.

Edited by hetaldp

Currently using spice D88 (Dont Laugh waiting for some HSDPA device like HTC Kaiser to Launch in USA)

:Sorprendido: I cant hold myself from laughing. Spice no sync. It really feels bad when we switch from 6700 to such stupid phone, :rofl_200: That is because of stupid reliance policy not to allow phones from others on their network. I used airtel for 7 days buying prepaid connection and borrowing phone from frnd, it is really inferior as compared to reliance in terms of quality of sound. If reliance really start accepting any CDMA handsets on their network, I believe reliance could be nmber one in no time.

Edited by kshah

^^^

I agree with you on that. But why RCL does not allow 3rd party phones on their network? Is there some security issue or some loopholes to call free? he he!

Its International Roaming Issue

the same ESN exist in Multiple Database so to get Home SID for ESN creates Problem

:Sorprendido: I cant hold myself from laughing. Spice no sync. It really feels bad when we switch from 6700 to such stupid phone, :rofl_200: That is because of stupid reliance policy not to allow phones from others on their network. I used airtel for 7 days buying prepaid connection and borrowing phone from frnd, it is really inferior as compared to reliance in terms of quality of sound. If reliance really start accepting any CDMA handsets on their network, I believe reliance could be nmber one in no time.

The same is true here in Poona. Airtel is awful for voice calls ...call drops galore and frequently very poor voice quality. But for SMSing it rocks ...and RIM has always been problematic with SMS. But inspite of the problems with voice, Almost half my addr book has Airtel numbers ...the other half being Idea, a couple of hutch nuumbers and ZERO Reliance or Tata numbers! Nobody I know wants to touch a RIM at at any cost ...despite it being much better for voice, than Airtel! Blame it mainly on RCLs policies ...lame handsets, all kinds of problems with texting, and bad tariffs, etc...

Though I got rid of my Airtel couple months ago and got an Idea SIM, Im seriously considering getting another connection for my 2nd phone as it used to help me save a packet due to 10p onnet calling tariffs...

Edited by raccoon

Source - Times of India epaper

Trai twist to spectrum allocation

Regulator’s First-Come-First-Serve Policy May Throw Up New & Unexpected Winners & Losers

Shalini Singh | TNN

New Delhi: The telecom industry is moving from silence to shock with the impact of Trai’s recommendations on licence reforms sinking in. By throwing up new and unexpected winners and losers, the policy is expected to tear apart an already divided industry, with no two companies able to find common ground.

Companies who believed they had a winning proposition by backing the subscriber-linked policy for spectrum allocation, while opposing auctions, are suddenly finding themselves out of the race. The new winners who are way up in the queue are those who have recently been given fresh licences or have applied for them.

The culprit is Trai’s first-comefirst-served policy for allocation of spectrum, which now places applicants ahead of operators.

This ensures that existing operators will have to wait between six months to four years before they get additional spectrum. With the exception of Essar in Delhi and Mumbai and Bharti Airtel in Maharashtra and AP, who are eligible for the next tranche of spectrum, all others are doomed for an endless wait.

This is significant as it validates the stance taken by CDMA operators, Reliance and HFCL that GSM operators were using spectrum inefficiently. As it turns out, CDMA operators will have to wait quite a while.

Each operator faces a unique impact. Maxis Aircel has emerged the biggest gainer. It already holds 14 licenses and will be first in line for fresh spectrum under the first-comefirst-served rule. Vodafone Essar, however, suffers a setback in nearly 14 of its16 operating circles, but gains in six where it secured licenses in December 2006.

Idea Cellular is offered a mixed bag. In 11 of its existing circles, it has a long wait for spectrum but gains through its 2 new licenses of December 2006 in Mumbai and Bihar.

Spice is a significant gainer. It suffers a mild setback in its Punjab and Karnataka operations but faces a No 6 priority ranking in 20 service areas where it applied for fresh licences in August 2006. Following Spice are Swan and Cheetah, which together applied for 16 licences in March 2007.

The last two in the list are HFCL at ninth place with 21 applications and Parvsnath, which filed 22 applications earlier this week. Tata Teleservices and Reliance's existing CDMA operations, like Bharti, will have to wait longer for new spectrum.

If accepted by DoT, Trai’s latest recommendations will prove to be a lottery for companies by rewarding them merely for having got a toehold in the license race ahead of others.

Each nationwide licence is likely to fetch government about Rs 1,600 crore for an initial tranche of 6.2 MHz of GSM and 3.75 MHz of CDMA spectrum. Experts place the market value of this spectrum at a much higher level than the benchmark established in 2001.Interestingly, the new M&A norms permit up to 20% cross-holding and consolidation of spectrum. This will make new applicants potential targets for horsetrading, as it is unlikely that too of these companies will set up nationwide networks considering the prohibitive investment cost.

Fresh debate on the parameters for determining first-come-firstserved will also surface, as multiple companies may have either applied on the same day or received licenses on the same day. So should date of application, date of LoI or effective date of license be the criteria?

With this, the battleground now shifts from Trai to DoT and if India’s telecom history is any benchmark, also very likely to the courts.

post-14950-1188610629_thumb.jpg

Edited by coolrajiv