Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
anuragemani

Blackberry Launch

ok, i know that reliance has not yet launched the blackberry but let me continue the cribbing and let me start expecting problems. This is because I have been a blackberry user and at least in one way blackberry in reliance is a good news since i can think of having one mobile only now.

The problem is that Blackberry instruments are notoriously poor in every respect except for email. We Reliance users use the mobile for talking. Even a friend of mine using Blackberry curve is quite unhappy with the voice itself and thus uses the Blackberry for email and at times as a backup mobile. The music is also said to be inferior to even the average Nokia or other good mobiles.

Actually, for Airtel and Hutch, the good thing is that even Blackberry Connect is there so, like me, you can use Nokia and Sony handsets also (e.g., E61, 9300/9500) which are excellent mobiles also.

No GSM operator in India operates on 1900 MHz. Its either 900 or 1800 band. In fact 1900 MHz is used for GSM operations only in the US (and Canada), with rest of the GSM world using frequencies either in the 900 or 1800 band.

Actually the USP for Reliance right now is net speed. It is far faster to Hutch / Airtel. While Airtel / Hutch has EDGE, it is not available widely while for Reliance you get 144 Kbps speed ANYWHERE in India.

I hope Airtel & Hutch will launch 3G services, coz then Reliance will have to launch EVDO where speeds will be close to 1.5 MBps ! It will beat the hell out of the 384 kbps that 3G offers !

it now re-directs to http://blackberry.reliancemobile.com/html/index.htm.

Fairly informative site for Blackberry on Reliance. However I am confused whether the BB works on RCL's CDMA network or on RCL's GSM network or both???? Is it a dual mode mobile??

it now re-directs to http://blackberry.reliancemobile.com/html/index.htm.

Fairly informative site for Blackberry on Reliance. However I am confused whether the BB works on RCL's CDMA network or on RCL's GSM network or both???? Is it a dual mode mobile??

Looks like this phone was meant for North American customers travelling around the Globe! Thats why it does not have 850 & 1900 frequency which was very common in US. They did not want to make this phone available for their American counterparts (I mean, GSM providers).

I am not sure whether this mobile phone 8830 is a locked phone and whether it requires us to unlock before using it in GSM networks? Unlike some Korean handsets which are capable of having two SIM Cards, one CDMA and the other GSM, this may not have such feature.

The competition hots up!

I use Airtel Blackberry services (individual, not corporate) and I was informed by my service provider that I can pay Rs. 6999 for one year advance blackberry unlimited service. Actually, they had a similar promotional offer about in around July 2006 and I had gone for it. Thereafter, on completion of one year, I was told that it is not there so I was thinking Reliance Blackberry as an option (since I already have a reliance phone).

However, under Reliance, for the same features, I will have to pay Rs. 1099 pm or Rs.13188 in all as compared to Airtel Rs. 6999 per annum but payable in advance. I am surely tempted back to Airtel.

One personal reason for preferring Airtel at this moment is that it provides Blackberry Connect where I can use my E61 which being Nokia is far more user friendly and having better voice and other features than the Blackberry models which are super-efficient email machines but, and this is my personal view, poor in other areas. Reliance does not seem to provide Blackberry Connect as far as I know. I think even if they do, they may have to come with special models for CDMA.

So, it is good that companies are competing. Am sure Reliance will come with a better offer. I have seen that in the reliance blackberry site, it is stated that there are "combo" and other introductory offers. The help line has no details about this but some member here may be aware?!

Edited by jmthakur

No, the 8830 is locked to the CDMA network. You can use GSM networks ONLY when roaming, not in India.

Also currently BlackBerry Connect is not available for users, but it will definitely be available in the near future.

Reliance has officially launched the Blackberry models. Please continue discussions in this topic. Thank you !