Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
pjthevj

Choispad 110 / NETWAY

Finally!

it took over a week of waiting but the choispad was installed last night.

the broadband was very good - i tested it at cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

i was getting 130 kb/s avg/sustained which is office/work speed

the peak rate was around double that in bursts

the 'landline' feature was useless, you have to use the remote and you can only call other netway users

i'm never going to be using that...

the VoD was quite good - over 100 english & over 200 hindi movies with more being added almost monthly

the recording feature is good in theory, i'll comment after i actually use it

the channel selection was mostly better than normal cable but HBO was not available which was sad

the internet access was a big dissappointment - the web page does not fit onto the TV!

so you have to scroll sideways when reading email which is annoying enough to put me off - i'd rather use my laptop to check email

they should have a zoom feature so we can make a page fit across a TV screen

so my final ratings:

telephony - useless (waste of resources)

internet on tv - bad (but usable in extreme situations/emergencies)

cable - average/acceptable

interactive tv (rewind/pause/record live broadcasts) - good

VoD - good

broadband - very good

since i'm not paying for it yet (first month free), its acceptable

but i would not want to pay more than 500/month for this including taxes & STB rental

if we assume about 50 for taxes & 100 for the rental, that leaves about 350 for the services

the rechargable remote is a good idea but i don't see why a corded remote is also provided - like any mobile, we should be able to use it while its charging

the 'online' help was barely avg with pauses every few min for the streaming video to get downloaded

the voice style/tone was quite poor (not the audio quality but the human skill) for the help videos

i stick by my earlier opinion - the remotes are UGLY and need to be taken out back and shot without a trial!

overall compared to the hype it misses the mark as usual...

IS the speed kbps or kbs.eg:- the dial up gives 56kbps.but in reality it is 7 kbs per second. what about hdtv are you getting your programs in 480i/p 720i/p or higher.

lastly.what did you do do deserve all this. :angry:

how much are they charging for the broadband with netway? I dont want anything! I just want fast internet access at a moderate fee WITHOUT download limits!

IS the speed kbps or kbs.eg:- the dial up gives 56kbps.but in reality it is 7 kbs per second.

kb/s = bits

KB/s = bytes

so 130 kb/s = 16 KB/s

what about hdtv  are you getting your programs in 480i/p 720i/p or higher.

there is no HDTV - that would require a new set/display with double the resolution

no STB can make any TV a HDTV

lastly.what did you do do deserve all this. :)

well i lost my handset for starters and happened to move into a complex in the trial zone/area!

PS:

i tried the VCR features and they are quite bad so i have to rate it as below avg also

you can't set up a recurring recording like:

star world from 6pm for 30 min Mon-Fri or

BBC every Thu from 7pm for 30min

such features were possible in VCRs over 5 years ago!

there is also an arbitrary limit of 1 week for scheduling a recording

so yesterday i saw a weekly program that i wanted to record for next Thu and was unable to since the window was only till next wed!

this is totally retarded - since it won't take extra resources to store a timestamp for next month or next quarter (data is data after all).

hey city02... nice to have a person who could share the experiences... btw what version of the netway software u use... i mean the no on the right hand bottom part of the start screen.

also did u feel the difference between normal cable tv and that thru choispad... the clarity here is amazing.

once again i checked my internet speeds on pc... test by cnet gave me 212kbps

Edited by pjthevj

hey city02... nice to have a person who could share the experiences... btw what version of the netway software u use... i mean the no on the right hand bottom part of the start screen.

also did u feel the difference between normal cable tv and that thru choispad... the clarity here is amazing.

once again i checked my internet speeds on pc... test by cnet gave me 212kbps

yes, i agree the clarity is 10-20% better than normal cable but i still miss HBO!

i'll have to check the software version but it updates automatically so its the latest one

i would like to be able to search for movies/songs and sort the displayed results for faster selection (VoD)

it starts to overheat after 2-3 hours of use and reboots in the middle without warning!

fortunately i was watching a movie so i could resume where it left off

House of Rock was very funny - i was up till 3am laughing away!

the movie downloads need 10-20 min to buffer enough for uninterrupted viewing so we should be able to flip channels as it downloads in the background

currently its not quite possible

free is free though...

:confuse:

well i'm getting hbo at my place.

n the movie starts instantly for me.. no buffering time needed. i rarely get the msg 'download data rate is very slow'... r u able to see intolerable cruelity???

search is a badly needed feature.. n more than 1 playlists are reqd.

has netway got anything to with IPTV which reliance plans to launch with microsoft in india in the coming months (source newsweek)???

heres another article--

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=41811

and one more--

http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/press/...anceIPTVPR.mspx

Edited by vb86

has netway got anything to with IPTV which reliance plans to launch with microsoft in india in the coming months (source newsweek)???

heres another article--

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=41811

and one more--

http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/press/...anceIPTVPR.mspx

the technology reliance is using is developed by Microsoft under its OPTV initiative only.

i also don't understand why it loses all recorded data when it crashes - its supposed to be a hard disk - non-volatile memory.

this is a major issue since it crashes daily for me now after 10-20 min of recording TV...