Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gtran_rocks

Gtran Rocks, Boys !

Today I upgraded my handset to GTRAN. Ring tones on RWORLD play well but when I try to save them it gives an error “RWORLD NOT READY”. Customer Care at WW told me it’s a temporarily problem faced today by all. Is it true? Please help.

Hi Everyone

My advice to anyone who has a reliance b/w phone is to upgrade quickly to the GTRAN without camera --- it really rocks and time is running out upgrade offer is valid only till july 31 2004!!!

Regarding the queries by umesh

What info is available on the external display
well you can get the time date and day as well as the signal strength and the battery life --- you also get the caller/sms senders name as well as the initial data of the sms in scrolling format.
The phone specs say the main display is UFB STN type. It's said that these are inferior to TFT ones especially when used outdoors in bright light - how does this one fare in such situation.

well the main display appears great in brightness (medium) even without backlight but when held in bright sunlight the display is difficult to sight just as in other nokia colour phones--- it is not as good as the b/w phones which appear great in bright sunlight

I use handsfree quite a lot while driving or for conf calls etc. How comfortable is the handsfree (yes I have read the comment that it's complicated - that shouldn't matter if it's in terms of use).
the hands free is complicated and it is really short --- i think it is better if you try the handsfree from other handsets (though i havent tried one yet)
Has anyone explored the option of Car handsfree and or Car charger for the phone yet ?

Not yet i have to get one yet

If I use the phone for about 60 min daily for calls, with minimum other usage, how long the battery will go ? 1 day ? 2 days ? My 2030 goes for about 2 days
It will last maximum for a day though it is the first few days i have been using the phone ---- and i have heavy r-world usage --- it lasts for a full day thats it even if you make 60 min calls
How about posting some phone (and accessories) photo's on the forum ?

well i dont have the camera but i pretty much can guess the clarity (only a measly 100k) ---- better not go for it ----- if you want camera go for LG/SAMSUNG

Edited by Chirag

Hey guyz!

One thing that only few of us knew, while upgrading from b/w phones to GTRAN - There is no insurance on GTRAN Handsets!!!

And I learnt this from the Webworld guys ONLY AFTER I had made the payment and the receipt was handed over to me. :) So this is another HIDDEN thingy about our friendly RIM!!! :grin:

Firstly thanks to everyone for all the info on this thread. I still have following doubts (btw I still have an LG 2030) before I make my mind to go for GTRAN.

And before someone cribs I should take a demo, yes I'm planning to do that this weekend.

Hey Umeshd, i would like to point out a few things to you. Firstly, This is not a GTRAN sponsored forum where members are persuading others to shift to GTRAN immediately.

Secondly this forum has been started to share,discuss and help each other. We arent getting any sort of commission from GTRAN for which we have to push ppl like you into buying a GTRAN. So please think before you shoot something like - "before someone cribs I should take a demo .................. "

Yes if you require help, mods and others will be more than ready to help you. But there has to be a nicer way of requesting help than this. I hope you understand......

Hello Mitesh,

If that line offended you or anyone else, I'm really very sorry.

Frankly I thought I was asking too many questions and someone would ask to take a demo if I was not beliving what was being said on the forum. I know this is a discussion forum and you all people take time off from routine work to post here and help others. Thats why I wrote that line.

Anyway I have seen the handset, liked it very much but I'm not going for it right now.

Once again thanks to everyone for all the information on this forum.

Regards

Umesh

And guyz, here is more about GTRAN:

1. Network reception is NOT GOOD with GTRAN. (Even worse than samsung b/w!!)

2. Battery falls flat within 2 hours talk time.

3. Even in standby mode, does not lasts longer than 7-8 hours (since Network is come and go at my place)

My office is in basement, there samsung b/w used to work (though not upto the mark). We can say that it got connected in 1 out of 5 call attempts by people who used to call me. But with GTRAN, it is always out of reach... So I believe I've made a wrong choice... :P

GTRAN is good when you see its display and other jazzy features. but except it there are several other failures, (for e.g. just read more about the handsfree kit functioning in the other topic that i have posted here).

Then there is more to it:

4. When you have to send a message, it asks some thousand questions before sending it... :angry: and above that they have not given any setting to disabe those prompts....

5. Then try to search a phone number in the phone book... and ppl who have used GTRAN already know how painful it is... it requires too much key presses even for simple name find!!! Reason: The GTRAN Engg. Team tried to act intelligent, so they created a search form to let you search by gruop, etc... but this only adds to effort required to find a name... After clicking find, it takes around 3 seconds, then displays "XXX results found"... one more second then it displays the macthing results.... so quite painful....

6. When you have a missed call, you have to opn the Phone Flip, press OK, and then you can see the caller's name.... Come on guyz, see other phones like nokia, samsung, and even LG or motorola, they are smart enuff over these things...

I will suggest you all to see the phone demo in detail leaving apart its display...

since even display is a dead thing, when you are standing outside under sunshine, you cant see even a single thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrr... :angry:

And I forgot one more point - ringtone volume...

Ringtones are too low in volume for GTRAN. I have used all that are provided as default...

The reason for this is that the ringtone speaker is located on the inner face of the flip. So when the flip is closed, the ringtone volume gets even lower... Even the LG b/w model rings louder than this piece of you know what... I know I wasted money... and lost my gud old samsung b/w... :'(

Edited by StaticElectricity

now here is a guy who is grossly unhappy with GTRAN, never mind dude, it did not work for u, as for me, i tooo have grudges against GTRAN but then, i had more grudges against Samaung 191. for the ringtone part i suggest u to download some real nice ones as midi files and use them as tones. i am using Summer of 69 at present and it is loud and clear! any help ask me, and of course our moderator is always there

MITESH HELP HIM!

lol@tanveer

Well Ajit, as tanveer pointed out, get some loud sounding midi and set it as the ringtone. You can also increase the volume of any midi file using a software called PSM player. You can get it by searching on google, If you dont let me know I'll give you the link.

As far as the battery goes, i had encountered this on the first day of buying the phone itself and have also mentioned in my posts. But i think its still better than LG 2030 battery life which is even worse than GTRAN battery.

Pal i dont think the network of GTRAN is that bad though... My personal experience says that infact its quite good. Even i work in a cubicle of a completely closed a/c office on first floor. But the network has never been less than 4-5 bars and very rarely have i had a lost call. What do other GTRAN owners have to say ? How have your network experience with this phone been ? Just check out if its a problem with your particular handset Ajit. If it is, then you should contact the WEBWORLD guys.

I request other GTRAN owners to post their experiences about the network quality so that we can help Ajit with this....

ajitanand many of the prblem U mentioned are present in LG color sets too (not B/W). E.g: Poor Signal,dropped calls,buggy SMS,Complicated phone book which is slow in execution,Unlinked Recent Voice Call list and SMS menu, Low intentisty of Ringtones, Battery hungriness, Wrong caller name display, too delicate to carry in rough conditions so on.

So to say Gtran may not be as bad as U R thinkig now __ once U get used to it - U will be more conmfortable. As for the network prob - gtran_rocks and others can help U find if Ur set is the one with the prob.

However G-Tran may have many positives for the given price.

Hi everyone

As far as the signal strength goes i have no probs yet---- my job needs me go to the most rural areas where i get good network and havent lost any calls yet-------- even when i sit in the basement library the signal strength is good no probs---- at least much better than my old LG2030

I agree with ajit that it takes a really long time to send SMS and it asks too many questions which we cant disable and it also takes a hell lot of time to load the phonebook-------------these are the really irritating things about gtran---when compared with the convenience of Nokia phones

If sending SMS is your main use of the phone then it is better not to buy this phone----- as far as the connectivity goes it is way better than GSM phones (even nokia)

Regards

Ananth

yup no complaint withthe network coverage, all my grudges are againstthe battery only, wish they could bring out a new version, i would love to buy it!

Okay guyz... It seems that I am the nly one who's getting network problems... :help:

BTW earlier I was using samsung b/w and I compared the reception I used to get on it, with my GTRAN, and posted my experiences as per that.

I remember once, with samsung b/w, one of the webworld ppl was suggesting someone to upgrade the software on his phone, to a newer version, to get better network coverage...

It seems weird to me on how software can improve network strength!!!! :angry: , but anyone who can tell me if this is really useful then I can look for newer version if available...

And guyz also tell me what version your sets have, and how do I check my set's version. Thanks in advance.. :P

Hi ajit,

Here are the details ofmy phone:

s/w version - CN07RL0724 (BTW thats a wierd version,lol)

PRL ID:0

This is how you check your sofware version - Menu-> Settings->Phone/system->version

PS: Trying finding newer version for GTRAN if possible

ditto same version on my phone, and where dowe find bewer versions and Mitesh does bitpim have any role for us GTRAN users

Dunno bout GTRAN but it is quite possible that s/w upgrade can help if they have some fix for any such problem in the Newer version* OR even if it's not if there is some s/w corruption in your phone.

*E.g with LG color phones newer s/w gives a better network.

It seems weird to me on how software can improve network strength!!!!  , but anyone who can tell me if this is really useful then I can look for newer version if available...

no buddy, i got my software upgraded in 7130 and now the network reception strength is much better than it used to be :rolleyes:

Tanveer i am not sure about BITPIM coz am stuck with my older comp which has no USB port. Had a faster PIII comp as well but its processor blew up last week and its outta warranty.

So right now am on my old PII system which has no USB port in the mobo.

But i had tried using UNICDMA with my PIII some time ago. It doesnt detect GTRAN. Someone will have to explore the phone with a BITPIM and help us all out.

s/w version - CN07RL0724  (BTW thats a wierd version,lol)

PRL ID:0

PS: Trying finding newer version for GTRAN if possible

Yes mine is also same, and I dont think there could be any newer version, since we all got our GTRAN only recently... ;)

Then try to search a phone number in the phone book... and ppl who have used GTRAN already know how painful it is... it requires too much key presses even for simple name find!!! Reason: The GTRAN Engg. Team tried to act intelligent, so they created a search form to let you search by gruop, etc... but this only adds to effort required to find a name... After clicking find, it takes around 3 seconds, then displays "XXX results found"... one more second then it displays the macthing results.... so quite painful....

Got some improvement over the slow phonebook processing - Just keep on clicking the Left menu Key (soft key) continuosly, (after opening the Phone Book option), though it sounds funny, it saves 1-2 seconds from the irritating (searching... and results found...) nag screens... may be :confuse: or may be I am simply 'killing' some time doing this... :D