Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gtran_rocks

Gtran Rocks, Boys !

Hey man dont you ever say or think so :(

lol :P , This is my biggest fear, Coz the phone's body (if scratched or gets dirty) cannot be replaced by OEM body covers. Body covers are available for lg 2030 and samsung b/w handsets. But in flip phones there are no OEM / 3rd party covers available. The only remedy would be original GTRAN new body which would be more than thousand bucks am sure.

Another concern is the dual LCD, the external sub LCD display may crack if the phone falls on the ground. Iam sure that will also cost me a bomb ! I really handle this phone with care. Though i've had costlier phones earlier but this is my first flip phone and it requires to be really handled with care

hey guyz....alll this talk about flipping the phone...has anyone noticed that the phone becomes quite shaky after some time. ie due to the regular flip movement the top flap gets a little shaky.....or is it just in my case....any comments????

In my case LG 7130 it has become - though very little. Last time I visited LG service I got it fit though.

By enlisting features of GTRAN u all hv made my mind to upgrade from LG to GTRAN. I am presently using LG 2030. I am planning to upgrade to GTRAN if it has any disadvantages pls intimate me. I am almost on last stage to finalize up-gradation.

Tell me for following which will be better option LG 2030 or GTRAN:

1. Carry in pocket.

2. Using RWORLD

3. RSURF (WAP)

4. RCONNECT

5. Signal Strength

Well pal i i think the limitations of the phone have been discussed in this and other threads in GTRAN forum.

Being more specific,

1) As far as pocket handling is concerned, the phone is small, light and slim so its easy. The only concern is to protect the external sub led from getting scratched/cracked

2 & 3) R World usage is simply a delight with Colour icons and stuff. The wap sites which have images and all display very well on the browser and colour browsing is a fun (Provided the wap website supports it)

4) Never used R Connect so i dont know !

5) Signal strength is quite decent. Never had a dropped call till now (This has been discussed as well, pal u gotta keep your eyes open )

Anyway, try a demo handset at R WORLD and then only decide.

'Consider other's opinions but always make your decisions' :D

hey saurav dude. go for it man...i don't suppose you can get a better deal...all ur criterias are met with GTRAN....best of all it is the cheapest, so that makes the decision much easier (it did for me). All u have to worry about is the battery life....which is scr*w-all. Hey but you get 2, yup 2 batteries, so that is pretty much taken care of..

word of the wise : don't go for the camera of gtran...waste of bread... :D

Well i guess BORED s brother is expecting too much from this new phone. dont know why. but i guess it is the best phone as far as value for money is concerned amongst all the reliance phones

Do u have Group sms function on Gtran?

Nokia 1100 has this function, so do many phones..

Hutch offers this too..

And can you receive BLINK sms?

What is the max lenght of the sms on Gtran is it crippled to 180 as in RD2030?

Can you ask anybody with a GSM phone Nokia to forward an ringtone sms to you.. what happens....?

Does your phone just plainly reject the sms, or does it accept it and show some crazy signs.. like RD2030 used to do before..

well bored's brother.....to put your queries to rest....the GTRAN is nuthin compared to the convinience of a nokia phone...being an ex-nokia user my self i can tell you that. sending an sms takes ages compared to the quick fnctions on a nokia. there is the slight convinience of sending to ten people at a time...but then you gotta add the ten people...ie there is no pre-determined group you can send to. I would be highly surprised if blink sms works on the gtran.

as far as ringtones go...why do u need someone to send you a tone.....either get one from r-world or simply download a midi file from ur comp (recommended).

when all is said and done...when given the limited choice which reliance gives ya...the best choice is the GTRAN...light on the pocket (compared to others) and fully customizable....thats why it really ROCKZ...what say mitesh :D

Well i guess what boreds brother is asking are genuine concerns----- but i guess we rim guys arent as lucky as the gsm users who use the older phones like Nokia 3310, 3315, 2100 where they have a composer and can forward ringtones.

But using GTRAN has got other advantages -- you get the clearest/ high resolution screen (160*120 pixels) for the least cost as compared to nokia gsm where the same resolution will set you back by 20000 bucks. Also you get other advantages like rconnect and rworld which are really great features for wireless phones!!! And last but not the least you also get to download ringtones(polyphonic) and wallpapers for free!!!(gsm users have to shell out atleast 15 bucks for a really bad ringtone which they cannot preview) :D

Regards

Ananth

bored, ur trying to have gsm features in cdma phones. which is, at present, very limited and the difference is going to be there if you compare these 2 technologies's features.

bored's brother, i had asked a friend of mine to send a ringtone from his nokia handset(he uses an airtel conn.), i never recieved the message. considering your plight, i think this is way better! (i have an lg rd2030)

yeah even 7130 users are "better off" this way coz the message gets drowned midway .. somewhere :quest:

well gtran dosen't measure up to nokia...plain and simple...the message characters are just 140-180 not more maybe less....picture messages..ie with character graphics don't work on it...the dictionary is pretty okay...takes a little getting used to..

but apart from that gtran is possibly the only GOOD affordable phone in the indian cdma network and I think its a little unfair to compare it with GSM mobiles which have a wider and older market in india.

for now gtran seems to be the best in the lot ( features and money wise )...when reliance decides to bring up a fully featured color display of Nokia, am sure there will be a mad rush for it...irrespective of the price...

words of the wise : stretch your legs as far as the blanket can cover you.....or til you can buy a larger one...corny....so is the comparison with GSM phones.... :quest:

Well guys, am back after 2 days and i see a lot of activity in this thread :quest: Thats really good.

Actually I had to make few presentations in past 2 days and was damn busy with it. I am taking a nice break now, will party till sunday ;)

Well BB (Sorry Bored's Brother is bit too long to refer everytime :P ), you really do expect too much from the phone. But pal it will meet most of your expectations. For me, it exceeded mine :wacko:

Answering your queries :

1) Group SMS : As austin said, no predefined group sms function but you can send one sms to 10 different cell nos. So thats what you get from a GTRAN

2) Blink SMS : Not recieved one yet

3) Msg length : 160 Characters

4) Ringtone forwards from nokia : Why do you want those dumb monophonic ringtones forwarded from a nokia when you can download 16 chord full length polyphonic ringtones from your PC (Midi files of your choice) B) Or even better record an mp3 or your own vocals through voice recorder and set it as your ringtone ....

BB, when you are comparing GTRAN with a nokia, do compare the LCD display of both phones as well . I used to own a nokia 6610 - A good handset with gr8 features. But am sorry to say, Nokias have a 4000 colour dull display which is hardly 100 x 100 in size. Its not even 3/4ths of GTRAN's display in size. The colour display is useless and its only good for cartoons and colour backgrounds. Photos come out very badly on it. Brightness of the screen is also quite low.

In my past 4 years of cell phone usage i have never come across such a gr8 colour display like the GTRAN's

I have also checked out LG 7130 colour handset. Its really bulky and oddly shapped. The display is good but again not comparable to GTRAN. And the worst, you cant customise it. So be happy with those 10 tones and images downloaded from R WORLD ( BTW everyone knows what kind of ringtones are available on R WORLD )

when all is said and done...when given the limited choice which reliance gives ya...the best choice is the GTRAN...light on the pocket (compared to others) and fully customizable....thats why it really ROCKZ...what say mitesh 
Austin, You said it pal :D

But i dont agree with your statement :

well gtran dosen't measure up to nokia...plain and simple

Actually it depends on what Nokia model you compare a GTRAN with. Nokias have their own set of problems. Besides if you compare a GTRAN worth Rs. 5650 (exchange price ) with a Nokia priced at 15 K, obviously Nokia is gonna be better.

But as I had said in the first post of this thread, GTRAN provides highest value for money wherein value = benefit/cost :P

Anyways handset preferences can be very subjective and what's a beauty for one can be a useless handset for another !

Anyways handset preferences can be very subjective and what's a beauty for one can be a useless handset for another !

right on mitesh ! my humble subjective opinion is gtran rockZZZ :quest:

I got a GTRAN handset for my lg2030 today and really rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fully satisfied with the handset and the screen clarity is unbeleivable as well as the downloaded ringtones sound great too.

It is a bit too early to comment on the battery life since i am making maximum use of the phone on the first day.

:) Thanks GTRAN_ROCKS for giving good suggestions.

Regards

Ananth

Hey guys welcome one more proud GTRAN owner - > ANANTH :)

Hearty congrats on buying this phone pal ! :lol:

Thanks GTRAN_ROCKS for giving good suggestions.

You'r most welcome pal ;) ...

I hope you have checked out other threads in this subforum. Specially the one on charging spare battery on desktop charger in such a manner that it doesnt leave scratch marks on the battery. If not, do surely check it ^_^

Also check out my posts on websites providing full length hindi and english midi songs (polyphonic ringtones). You can download them from internet and then transfer them from your comp to your new beauty - GTRAN GCP 4020 ;)

Congrats again and have fun pal !

I really envy you guys , But after shelling out nearly 21000 for my lg phone , my parents are not allowing me to take this gtran phone by paying up some more. Actually the relinace site says pioneer offer ppl will get 6000 rs credit . so how much shud i pay and how much will i get a refund of. I'm in dapo and took my phone in feb 2003 under dapo scheme by paying 21000 in post dated cheques.

I really envy U guys :P - I am on 7130 buggy buggy set and so have no options to get this one :(

so how much shud i pay and how much will i get a refund of. I'm in dapo and took my phone in feb 2003 under dapo scheme by paying 21000 in post dated cheques.

DAPO users who've paid Upfront 21000 will get a credit of Rs. 6350/-

Same goes for ppl who've opted for Plan 6350 while going for DAPO and have paid Rs. 6350/- to get the connection.

Hence the phone is avl to u for Rs. 12001 - 6350 = Rs. 5651/- !!

It isn't much, and even am waiting to earn a few bucks such that i can be a proud owner myself! :P But will have to wait for another 5 months till my course gets over n i start earning myself!! :(

Hello there,

Firstly thanks to everyone for all the info on this thread. I still have following doubts (btw I still have an LG 2030) before I make my mind to go for GTRAN.

And before someone cribs I should take a demo, yes I'm planning to do that this weekend.

1) What info is available on the external display.

2) The phone specs say the main display is UFB STN type. It's said that these are inferior to TFT ones especially when used outdoors in bright light - how does this one fare in such situation.

3) I use handsfree quite a lot while driving or for conf calls etc. How comfortable is the handsfree (yes I have read the comment that it's complicated - that shouldn't matter if it's in terms of use).

4) Has anyone explored the option of Car handsfree and or Car charger for the phone yet ?

5) If I use the phone for about 60 min daily for calls, with minimum other usage, how long the battery will go ? 1 day ? 2 days ? My 2030 goes for about 2 days.

6) How about posting some phone (and accessories) photo's on the forum ?

Hope thats not too much to ask for.

Regards

Umesh

so how much shud i pay and how much will i get a refund of. I'm in dapo and took my phone in feb 2003 under dapo scheme by paying 21000 in post dated cheques.

DAPO users who've paid Upfront 21000 will get a credit of Rs. 6350/-

Same goes for ppl who've opted for Plan 6350 while going for DAPO and have paid Rs. 6350/- to get the connection.

Hence the phone is avl to u for Rs. 12001 - 6350 = Rs. 5651/- !!

It isn't much, and even am waiting to earn a few bucks such that i can be a proud owner myself! :clap1: But will have to wait for another 5 months till my course gets over n i start earning myself!! :(

Well Chirag, you might want to take out a personal loan soon because this offer is valid only upto the end of this month

Well Chirag, you might want to take out a personal loan soon because this offer is valid only upto the end of this month

u knw wht??

history tells us, tht the rates of all these handsets will come crashing down! :( and to add on, we'd have more n more new handsets coming in by "tht time"!

So nothings lost... Wud win Anyways! :clap1:

well they actually might come up with new better and cheaper phones. Besides, I guess a batter resolution camera with a GTRAn will be an excellent idea ( the camera is detachable in GTRAN). I ll surely go for a improved camera with this phone

it's best to upgrade now. later prices will decrease by 1000 but 3500 extra will be charged as depriciation charges