Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Updated : Iphone 3g Out In India !

^^^

Dear Mr. Mufaddal, we respect you a lot.

Please avoid discussions related to Cracks and Free Accounts (Illegal only) and help us to keep our beloved Rimweb neat and clean.

Regards.

^^^

Thats the spirit my dear friend. No hard feelings at all. :)

Regards.

Apple iPhone prone to phishing, say Net forums

27 Sep, 2008, 0027 hrs IST, ET

NEW DELHI: The much-hyped iPhone 3G by Apple is becoming notorious on the Net for its security flaws. According to recent reports by online forums and top gizmo sites on the web, the Apple iPhone has become vulnerable to serious security threats like phishing and spyware.

For instance, a security flaw in Apple Inc’s iPhone allows unauthorised users to gain easy access to your private contacts and emails even when the device is ‘locked’, say top mobile review site like intomobile.com and the iphoneblog.com, a site developed around iPhone users. The iPhone comes locked when you buy it from the market. It’s only the operator who can unlock the phone legally.

Meanwhile, network and mobile security experts also point out the flaws in the iPhone’s Safari web browser. “The iPhone’s Safari browser is one of the most vulnerable browsers and is prone to not only phishing but also to spread of spyware. Using APPLE SDK (software development kit), a hacker can create phone spying software which can anonymously send or receive SMS without notifying the owner,” said network security firm Appin’s CEO, Rajat Khare.

According to online forums, flaws in the mail and Safari applications bundled with the iPhone leave users of the device at greater risk of phishing attacks. Apple failed to reply to ET’s repeated email queries on the issue. Another vulnerability in the iPhone is URL-spoofing.

It means that a dodgy domain pointed to by a specially crafted URL can appear to be that of a trusted brand when viewed through the iPhone’s mail or Safari browser applications. The iPhone does not display the URL of a link embedded into an email, making it easier to trick the user into pointing the Safari browser to a phishing website. Even the dialing process of iPhone can be hijacked via JavaScript, the blog sites report.

Meanwhile, Gizmodo, a too Gizmo review site and a MacRumors.com claim that it takes only three taps to gain access to the locked iPhones. “Earlier hacking reports were predominantly on the Windows platform, now with iPhone gaining popularity, hackers have trained their eyes on it. Although Apple has released the latest version of security software, it is unlikely that it will solve the issues completely,” said Trend Micro country manager – India and SAARC, Niraj Kaushik.

The Safari browser of the iPhone can very easily lead to the phone being hacked, say online forums. Using the vulnerability in the Apple code the hacker can spy all the activity done on the Phone. Once broken the hacker can access, personal data, SMS text files, contact information, call history, passwords, e-mail, browser history, and voice mail information could be obtained by a remote attacker.

The hacker can also exploit the iPhone to dial a phone number or send a text message without prompting the user. The iPhone can also be turned into a microphone to eavesdrop remote conversations. Experts suggest a third party anti virus software to be installed on the iPhone, in order to ensure protection during download of data untrustworthy sources.

Meanwhile Apple has been fixing bugs in the iPhone regularly. For instance, Apple addressed ‘the passcode flaw’ in iPhones last January. The fix prevented unauthorized users from circumventing the password-protected locking feature. The problem has however, reemerged in new versions of the iPhone software.

The Passcode Lock feature is designed to prevent applications from being launched unless the correct passcode is entered. However, the flaw allows attackers to bypass the passcode-locking feature by just touching “Emergency Call” on the password-entry screen and then double tapping the home button.

Though the iPhone was launched in India, last month, the phone may not find it replacing other business phones used by corporate executives, if Apple doesn’t fix the flaws fast enough.

Adobe confirms Flash for iPhone, says Apple will decide when!!!

Jens Chr Brynildsen, a Flash expert who maintains a number resources for the standard including Flash Magazine, has reportedly confirmed with Adobe Systems’ Sr. Director of Engineering, Paul Betlem, that Flash is coming to the iPhone. However, Betlem says that “Apple calls the shots as to when it’ll be available.”

adobeflash.jpg

Brynildsen got the confirmation at an Adobe Town Hall meeting session. He reports:

“Upon a direct question from the audience, Paul Betlem for the first time publicly confirmed that Adobe is actively developing a Flash Player for Apple’s popular phone. He said (not direct quote) ‘My team is working on Flash on the iPhone, but it’s a closed platform.’ He noted that Apple makes all the decisions, so in other words, the ball is in Apple’s yard at this time. If Apple says yes, Adobe will have the player available in a very short time.”

In mid-June, Adobe’s CEO said that company already has Flash running on an iPhone emulator (presumably the same emulator included with Apple’s iPhone SDK).

As we’ve pointed out several times, Flash performance and usage is abysmal on current mobile devices that support playback. Mobile device processors — including the iPhone’s — simply aren’t fast enough to handle most Flash-laden sites. Flash Lite, the scaled down standard designed specifically for mobile devices, is even too much for most devices, and isn’t widely used.

[vIa:iPhOnEaTlaS]

Edited by @ksh@T

check this out ...its one of the most funny iphone videos i have seen in long time

Windows Mobile hits the iPhone 3G

Remember that rumor about Steve Jobs having a heart attack that went around not too long ago? Well, it might just be true as soon as Stevo catches wind of this one. The video above shows a brief interview from MyPhone 2008 with a young Norweigan developer named Erik Kristiansen. While Kristiansen might not be the smoothest talker in Vegas, he has managed to put together quite a piece of software. As he explains in the video, he has essentially created bootcamp for the iPhone. When the phone powers on, the user must select between booting OS X and Windows Mobile. No you didn’t misread anything there, we said Windows Mobile! Woh. We’re not sure if iPhone users will exactly be clamoring get Windows Mobile fired up on their iPhones but it might actually be pretty nice to rock an iPhone with an OS that allows things like copy / paste and background processes for third-party apps. Kristiansen is aiming to release his work to the public this coming January and it will be open source. Of course you shouldn’t expect to see this one hit the app store - only jailbroken iPhones need apply. By the way, pretty harsh final question from Ms. Young, no? At least the kid responded politely. We might have commented on Jessica’s slight manliness as opposed to taking the high road as young Kristiansen did. No, seriously - she’s a maaaaaaaaan, maaaaaaaaan.

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Edited by @ksh@T

whats the point of windows mobile....mac os x is much faster smoother and stable as compared to win mo ....plus not to mentiom how buggy the device wud bcome after such a hack.........and features like copy paste r about to b released soon and there is already an application available for jailbroken iphones to run applications in background

its a nice try atleast shows the possibilities of evice but i dont think people who had a taste of mac osx will ever revert back to laggy win mo

Windows Mobile hits the iPhone 3G

^^^

Thats really a great news my dear Akshat.

Regards.

found this on engagdget about the windows on iphone

" As several commenters have pointed out, this has the trappings of a bad viral for the crappy SonicEmotion app also on that page — all of the other videos are suspiciously fake / ridiculous, and the phone responds oddly to several touches. So much for that, we suppose."

It should be noted that engagdgetmobile thinks there is something fishy about this one. This could simply be a bad viral piece for another iPhone app that was promoted where this video was located… So take it with a grain of salt for now.

Edited by mufaddal_km

Mac OS is way Better to Windows in Many Part why would we go for Windows

Mac OS is any day better than WM6.

the above news of win mo running on iphone was simply a hoax....was just a publicity campaign for some application.....

Google Earth for the iPhone Released!

[vIa:Gearthblog]

At long last, Google is releasing Google Earth for the iPhone (and iTouch) tonight (Sunday)! I've been expecting this to happen for months. Especially after I saw another Google Earth-like application on the iPhone back in May. Apparently some folks in Australia were first to downloaded Google Earth for the iPhone. CNET has an initial review - and it looks fantastic. I quickly managed to download it - see my updated review below (this app is awesome!). You can click here to download GE for the iPhone from the iTunes app store - it's free of course. Or you can search the app store from your iPhone. Here is Google's announcement video which shows the app in action:

iphoneGE.jpg

I've had a while now to play with GE for the iPhone. Here is my initial review (quick summary: I'm really impressed!):

Looks just like Google Earth when it first comes up. Zooming in with the usual touch motion on the iPhone works just like expected. And, at least on my home WIFI, the speed loading imagery is quite good. Much closer to the normal GE than I expected. In fact, I estimate on my non-3G iPhone I'm getting about 5-7 frames per second update rates zoomed out, and over 10 fps zoomed in closer. Quite good! You definitely feel like you're using Google Earth.

If you enable "Autotilt" by selecting the preference window (the "i" icon in the lower right) when you lift up your phone vertically the horizon will tilt into view. If you go to somewhere with mountains or other terrain you'll see it in 3D just like in the normal GE.

Google includes the Panoramio and Wikipedia layers under the "Geographic Web" by default. Click on a blue photo icon when you see one, and it will load the Panoramio photo for that location. hit the "Earth" button at the top of the photo to return back to GE. If you don't want the icons, or want to get a little speed increase, then turn these off in the preference window.

You also have layers for borders and labels (city names, country names, etc.) which you can also turn off if you don't need them.

AMAZING - they even support off-line mode just like the desktop GE! If you have no connection, GE will prompt you and let you "continue without network" and will work off your cache. So, if you've previously viewed places, you can go back there and still see them with no Internet connection! To test this, you can just put your iPhone in "Airplane" mode (to turn off wireless connections) and then re-start the iPhone GE application.

Tilt your iPhone horizontally for a wider view.

The upper left "magnifying glass" let's you do a search. This works just like with the normal GE and let's you search for places, airport codes, or you can enter lat/long coordinates. I'm very pleased with how it zooms just like the normal GE to each location.

The lower left icon is the "locate me" button which will fly you to your current location (using the iPhone location feature).

With this release, there are just the 4 layers mentioned above. You also can not load up other KML files or save your own placemarks at this point. But, I'm sure other features will come in future releases.

The "Help" window is found in the preferences window (or here on the web) and gives tips on the interface. If you use two fingers you can do things like twist your view, tilt the horizon (by dragging two fingers up/down), if you double-tap two fingers you zoom out, double-tap one finger zooms in. The finger interfaces are very intuitive.

Overall I'm very impressed with Google Earth for the iPhone. I'm thrilled I'll be able to take it with me wherever I go. However, I'm sure performance will be a much slower when I'm on the Edge network instead of with a WIFI connection. All you GE fans with an iPhone - go out there and download it now!

Wow, Google Earth on Iphone. Thats really a great news my dear friends.

Regards.

iPhone Modified With Qwerty Keyboard

94884_matter.jpg

Try out this innovation

Not many people like to type on an onscreen keyboard. Though iPhone's keyboard is decent enough, there will be many out there who will disagree with me. Apparently a guy from Japan didn't like it either and decided to take matters into his own hands. The result is visible from the image.

94884_iphone-keyboard.jpg

He took his jailbroken iPhone, hooked it up to a QWERTY keyboard, and modified the cable. Check out the video, and you can see what the above maneuver makes the iPhone look like, an outdated digital diary. Oh, and yes, it still doesn't support Copy-Paste.

Courtesy : Techtree

Apple leapfrogs RIM for #2 slot on smartphone sales list

Nokia has had the lion's share of the cell phone market for many years, including the market for high-end smartphones. But rival RIM and new kid on the block Apple are taking a bite out of Nokia's market share, leading to the first drop in smartphone sales for the Finnish cell phone maker.

3g_iphone_warning.png

According to market research firm Canalys, Nokia lost over 12 percent of the total share of the smartphone market in the third quarter this year, dropping to 38.9 percent from 51.4 percent the year before. Apple swiftly jumped in second place, grabbing a 17.3 percent share with the iPhone 3G. Apple even bested sales of RIM's popular BlackBerry models, but the firm is not far behind, taking 15.2 percent of the smartphone market.

Apple's success has a lot to do with the launch of its updated iPhone 3G, which in addition to increasing data network speeds, has been launched in many new markets. Indeed, the iPhone has expanded to 57 countries in the past quarter. Sales of nearly 7 million 3G iPhones since the July 11 launch also gave Apple a 2.3 percent share of the overall cellphone market.

Microsoft is also feeling the effect of the iPhone's popularity, as its performance pushed the software giant in the number two spot among smartphone OS vendors. CEO Steve Ballmer famously quipped last year that he didn't expect Apple to do very well, saying, "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share." Apple, along with third-place RIM, pushed Microsoft's Windows Mobile platform down to fourth place among smartphone OS vendors.

large_blackberry-storm-1.png

It's not surprising to see Nokia losing market share, given all of the activity focused on the smartphone market as of late. With Apple improving the iPhone OS and adding tons of new apps to the App Store; BlackBerry launching new Storm, Bold, and Pearl models; and Google jumping in the fray with its Linux-based Android smartphone OS, competition for the smartphone market has never been hotter. It may hurt Nokia's bottom line, but it will benefit consumers as increasing numbers of users move from standard "feature phones" to more powerful smartphones.

[vIa:http://arstechnica.com/]

iPhone Firmware 2.2: On November 21?

95067_matter.jpg

Sooner than expected

It's rumor time again. A Greek site has reported, on the basis of information from 'reliable sources,' that iPhone's much awaited firmware v2.2 will be out sooner than expected. According to them, the destined date is November 21.

Although the list of updates is still unconfirmed, a few notable additions expected are over-the-air podcast downloads, Google Street View, revamped App Store, and the ability to turn off the auto-correction feature.

iPhone 2.2 screenshots reveal direct podcast download interface

A series of screenshots from Apple's latest iPhone 2.2 beta have leaked on the web, revealing a new interface for downloading podcasts over wireless networks and a more polished version of the handset's App Store application.

Direct Podcast Downloads

The screenshots, published by the German-langue blog Flo's Weblog, appear to confirm reports that the next software update for the iPhone will allow users to grab podcasts from the mobile iTunes Store over the handset's 3G connection.

A report published late last month had suggested this would be the case, but the feature was said to be non-functional at the time. The series of screenshots, republished below, reveals the interface flow for direct podcast downloads.

According to the report, Apple will initially limit direct downloads to podcasts 10MB in size or less. It's unclear, however, whether the feature will be restricted to iPhones on a 3G connection or if downloads can also be performed over an EDGE network.

podcasts-081106.png

App Store Categories

In addition, the same report tosses in a screen captures that reveals upcoming interface change to the App Store application that's expected to ship as part of iPhone Software 2.2.

Unlike builds of the software available in September, the latest betas reveal the new icons Apple may have chosen to use for its category listing (though they appear to be icons for third-party Apps at present). Previously, blank placeholders would display.

podcasts-081106-2.png

A general list of feature additions are as follows:

--Safari interface tweaks with relocated Google search

--New App Store app with new categories interface, and "report a problem" feature

--Auto-correction toggle and Japanese Emoji icons

--Google Street View, transit and walking directions

--Direct podcast downloads

Looks like the Android screen shots I have seen...

iPhone 3G: Dismal Sales In India

High cost keep sales low

Apple faced a lot of criticism when they announced that the iPhone 3G will cost above Rs. 30,000. Though there was an indication that the iPhone's price will not be the same as its US counterpart, no one expected it to be so exorbitantly priced. To add insult to injury, other manufacturers also followed the same pricing strategy for their flagship phones. Needless to say, sales are pretty dismal.

Business Today has published an article revealing the sales figures of the iPhone as well as other smartphones. According to their figures, telecom operators have managed to sell about 4000 units of the iPhone since its launch. Nokia N96 that was unveiled in September managed to sell about 1000 units.

95115_iphonesalesindia.jpg

Let's hope that the manufacturers learn a lesson or two and lower the prices.

Google to power iPhone voice search

The Times of India l 15 Nov

SAN FRANCISCO: Google is reportedly weighing into the Internet voice search arena with a free application that lets iPhone user’s surf online by speaking queries.

An article published in The New York Times said the software could be available at iTunes online store shortly.

Google will be stepping into an arena with rivals Microsoft and Yahoo, which already let people using "smart" phones scour the Web with spoken queries.

The Internet powerhouse already offers a toll-free GOOG411 telephone service in the United States that people can call and speak to a computer system that fetches contact information they seek.

The iPhone application will be Google's first foray into voice-based Internet search.

Google in 2006 received a US patent for a system that "provides search results from a voice search query."

"Current speech recognition technology has high word error rates for large vocabulary sizes," Google wrote in the patent application.

Yahoo crafted voice recognition into its oneSearch mobile Internet service this year to let users perform "wide open" searches by speaking questions. Microsoft added voice to its Live Search mobile service last year.

"Voice search can be particularly effective on connected devices, since it can take advantage of network-based speech technology and data resources," organizers of a Voice Search Conference in California say on their website.

"One can simply say what one wants, much like talking to a personal assistant, and have any ambiguity resolved by a quick dialog or a display of alternative results."

Google is leaving a door open to crafting voice search into Internet-linked phones built with an open-source Android software platform that the California-based firm has championed.

the google search has been updated with voice serach ....one can get it from itunes

iPhone: Number 1 Handset in the World

95452_matter.jpg

Says Admob

Says who? Admob, a mobile advertising network revealed with a little help from 6,000 different websites, applications and a short analysis. Are these numbers accurate? Well, no since Admob s verdict is not based on the actual sale numbers but the ad impressions served by them.

AdMob releases Mobile Metrics every month with October being the month where iPhone jumped from the fourth position in September to number one, toppling Motorola RAZR V3.

Mobile Crunch points out that the skewed result can be because of the developers embedding AdMob ads with their applications plus the website statistics, thus making it to serve more ads and gain through the rankings.

If we look from the Indian perspective, Nokia still rules the roost with around 66% of requests made.

95452_metrics.jpg

If we look from the Indian perspective, Nokia still rules the roost with around 66% of requests made.

obviuosly .....with only a few numbers of iphone 3g sold in india due to a very high price tag ....this is well understood

SearchMe Brings Visual Search To iPhone

95508_matter.jpg

Upstages Google's voice search offering

Search applications for iPhone are getting better by the day. If Google's Voice Search was cool, SearchMe's latest app is definitely cooler. It's the visual search that makes the SearchMe application a step ahead of Google's offering.

SearchMe works by displaying a snapshot of all the search results in a "stack", thus saving a user's time. A user can flick through a result or zoom in or zoom out by using multi-touch gestures.

The application is now available from the App Store.