Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HetalDP

End Of Cdma / Evdo For Telus And Bell In Canada

1. Canadas Biggest CDMA Operator Telus and Bell have cooperative announced to Stop Exapansion on EVDO Network and cooperatively Build HSPA (a 3.5G GSM Network) for all their Future Expansion.
  2. Sprint of USA the Biggest CDMA Operator in World have Annouced to bet Big on WiMax
  3. Verizon have Acquire Alltel and now Surely thinking of their Newly Acquire 700 mhz OpenWave Access as Supported by Google for Next Big Open Standard Spectrum Technology.
  4. All Biggest CDMA operator of New Zealand and Australia have stopped CDMA Operator a year ago.
  5. TATA, Shyam Systema, Reliance have already Applied for GSM Network and are least bothered for Acquiring EVDO Spectrum. rather they are more happy to go for HSDPA or HSPA Network.

Sorry, CDMA: Telus, Bell finally fess up to HSPA, LTE aspirations

by Chris Ziegler, posted Oct 10th 2008 at 3:48PM

Capping months of speculation, Canadian CDMA carriers Bell and Telus have both announced that they'll be moving to HSPA to power portions their 3G networks as a stop-gap on their way to an eventual LTE rollout. While both networks will be investing heavily to build out the necessary infrastructure, they'll be sharing the fruits of their collective labor to extend roaming agreements that are already in place between the two -- a logical move, considering they'll be going up against the Rogers juggernaut which has the distinct advantage of already being on the GSM technology roadmap. The carriers are looking at 2010 to flip the switch on HSPA, but don't worry, owners of EV-DO handsets: the CDMA goods will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future while HSPA is getting layered on top. Odds are, anyone using a CDMA handset will be due for new hardware long before the lights finally go out.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/10/10/s...sm-aspirations/

This seems to be the end of CDMA era my dear friends.

Odds are, anyone using a CDMA handset will be due for new hardware long before the lights finally go out.

:rolleyes:

Regards.

well seeing current events i doubt there will ever b EVDO in india ( hope so v get it ) ..............n if that happens it wont b long enough when lot of current customers using a lot of data would migrate to reliance/tata gsm to get 3g sppeds .......also not to mention the wide variety of choice they would b having to purchase a nice handset

and obviously slowly people will b diverted to gsm rather than cdma .......i mean once relianace \tata gets their hspa up n running what would hold the customers to stick to cdma in which they dont even have much options while buying handsets or have to buy overpriced handsets

It seems eventually qualcom is losing out due to its monopolistic policy.where cdma requires royalty to be paid to qualcom at every stage,gsm is free.it had to face this situation sometime or other.Let's see what course reliance and tata are following.the gsm rollout of reliance seems to be a step in that direction.

^^^

Exactly what all of us have been knowing and saying for a long time. RCOM etc will not bid/try for EVDO at all. They will instead use that money for 3G GSM. It makes more business sense to adopt an open technology rather than closed technology, where everything is top secret. And RCOM already has managed to get MNP free within their own operations already, so most of their existing customers will be moved to RCOM GSM with their existing numbers. And slowly maybe in 1-2 years, CDMA will be buried like elsewhere in Australia, NZ, Canada etc....

RCOM etc are making the right moves. Why invest double for 3G for both CDMA and GSM. And the GoI is expecting huge money from 3G licences, so it will not come cheap, hence RCOM and others will shy away from EVDO, unless of course Amar Singh blackmails the Congress and gets it absolutely free for RCOM, ha ha ha. Nothing is impossible for AS and ADA these days.

Qualcomm is not the loser at all, because even in 3G GSM, they have their technology only, AFAIK. Only for CDMA, they seem to be so royalty conscious. Or are they similar minded even for 3G GSM tech?

In 3G gsm only wcdma is developed by qualcom.all others like HSDPA and UMTS are open,i believe.whether i am correct or not i don't know.

yup ........so once reliance gsm and theri 3g services wud go full fledged i think most poeple on this forum would have become gsm converts ......with more and more posts about gsm handset discussions and workarounds ............

but the ultimate advatage would b to the user i mean u will have a huge collection of handsets to

select from .....

^^^

Actually we are very eagerly waiting for the launch of Reliance Gsm services nationwide. And if we get a chance to retain our present Cdma number with Gsm, then obviously we will think to jump over to Reliance Gsm. Atleast in Gsm we can get quality handsets.

Regards.

I think in India CDMA will be vanished in next 3 4 Years,

As there are main 2 CDMA Operators in India

TATA and Reliance both will be launching there GSM services very soon.

Probably in there first phase, in MNP there will be Voluntary churn from CDMA to GSM in Same operartor.

and in second phase, Reliance and TATA can Involuntary Churn there customer from there CDMA service to GSM Service, In order to Shut Down there CDMA part.

I think in India CDMA will be vanished in next 3 4 Years

^^^

It can happen even before 3-4 years my dear friend.

Regards.

CDMA will never shut down in india.

There is new players who wants to start PAN india CDMA based services, so i doubt existing players will exit it anytime soon like 10 years.

Major turn around will be seen in 2018 when these guys will renew their license which is expiring in 2018.

Whatever it may be,the gsm service cann't beat cdma when tariff plans are concerned.here in ORISSA the postpaid plans of cdma reliance are far far better than th's gsm counterpart.whether this will change after the pan india roll out of gsm remains to be seen.also there is no rworld in reliance gsm.so he it isn't launched in gsm the cheap browsing option available in cdma for a paltry sum of 249 rupees a month will be lost by all smart phone users who will switch to gsm.

Dear Friends,

If Rcom swapped CDMA to GSM, then our CDMA handsets will become toys for our children. We can retain our number, but we cannot retain our handsets. Do anybody knows that any research has been going on to convert CDMA to GSM or vice versa? I think it can't be happen. so we will loose or handsets and money.

Dear Friends,

If Rcom swapped CDMA to GSM, then our CDMA handsets will become toys for our children. We can retain our number, but we cannot retain our handsets. Do anybody knows that any research has been going on to convert CDMA to GSM or vice versa? I think it can't be happen. so we will loose or handsets and money.

It is not possible.

No CDMA player will exit CDMA but I belive CDMA will be catering to the needs of pure voice segment as it is more cost effective.

Also CDMA player will have advantage of lower infrastructure cost of their GSM.

Dear Friends,

It is not possible.

No CDMA player will exit CDMA but I belive CDMA will be catering to the needs of pure voice segment as it is more cost effective.

Ok, you are right, but because CDMA & GSm required two different operations, will they bear the operational cost? They can use the same infracture which is their advantage. Somebody should want to invent the technology that possible to use the CDMA/GSM with same frequency with code/Time division global system for mobile communications. CTDGSM!! We can dream!! Ha ha ha

Dear Friends,

It is not possible.

Ok, you are right, but because CDMA & GSm required two different operations, will they bear the operational cost? They can use the same infracture which is their advantage. Somebody should want to invent the technology that possible to use the CDMA/GSM with same frequency with code/Time division global system for mobile communications. CTDGSM!! We can dream!! Ha ha ha

We are already bored with CDMA and now dont want to dream of CTDGSM hehehehe.

Reliance and TATA will not shutdown their CDMA Operation they will convert it for More COst Effective Pure Voice or cater Service to Pure Data Card Business etc. They will take the Full juice outta it before they throw that Instrument.

^^^

My dear Santhosh, their is a technology available from VANU INC. They are already in talks with Gsm Operators to use the same CDMA technology to provide GSM services. For more details you can read the below mentioned thread.

http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=15278

Regards.

Reliance and TATA will not shutdown their CDMA Operation they will convert it for More COst Effective Pure Voice or cater Service to Pure Data Card Business etc. They will take the Full juice outta it before they throw that Instrument.

Hmmm. If they cater services to Pure Data Card Business only in the long run, then what will happen to our High End Cdma Mobiles. We had already spend alot on our handsets. :o

Regards.

Meanwhile ...

Qualcomm announced new enhancements to CDMA2000® network technology. Operators will now be able to support more than double today's capacity of 35 simultaneous calls in 1.25 MHz of spectrum while delivering the same level of voice quality. The new levels of efficiency not only meet the growing demand for voice connectivity, but also enable the freed-up bandwidth to be used to expand 3G data services, enabling operators to maximize their 3G network investments for voice and mobile broadband. This flexibility is critical to promote an economical rollout of next-generation networks - concentrating 4G technology deployment in areas where more bandwidth is required and leveraging the optimized 3G network for systemwide voice and data services.

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2008...k_Capacity.html

Isn't it attractive in volume based services in India? where already many GSM players are facing problems of congestion.

Edited by prakashkadam

even i dont think so that cdma tchnology will vanish it will b here.....the most imporatnt thing would b that a lot of people would however migrate to their gsm services ...and this change would b marked when 3g services would go full fledged........but one thing that cdma has is the lowerfrequency radio waves have a good penetration power giving u more better coverage n good range as compared to gsm ........i use cdma primarily as my work phone coz there r so many places in my work place where gsm coverage isnt there n every1 has to rely on cdma phones

^^^

My dear Santhosh, their is a technology available from VANU INC. They are already in talks with Gsm Operators to use the same CDMA technology to provide GSM services. For more details you can read the below mentioned thread.

http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=15278

Regards.

Dear Honest,

I go thru the thread, and in my understaing, they will change the head end equipment for operators. But what about our CDMA handsets? after changing their software, shall they can flash our handsets thru air so we can accept gsm signals?

Dear Honest,

I go thru the thread, and in my understaing, they will change the head end equipment for operators. But what about our CDMA handsets? after changing their software, shall they can flash our handsets thru air so we can accept gsm signals?

^^^

Dear Santhosh, thats what I too am affraid of. The main thing is that, if Reliance and TATA got enough response from their Gsm services then I think they will not invest in their existing Cdma infrastructure any more.

Only God knows what is going to happen.

Regards.

Tata and reliance has already stopped fresh investment in cdma. Tata recently changed their switch from huewei to zte . Some says its preparation for gsm.

If both completely stop cdma then what will happen to the already established infrastructure?even reliance is rapidly spreading IT'S cdma network where wasn't previously.had it been preparation for closure they wouldn't bother to increase their foot print in cdma,rather they would spread their gsm notwork.so i think they will not stop cdma completely.either they will sell it to somebody or may provide only voice services through it.everything will be clear once the bidding process for 3G spectrum starts.