Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
squareone

Motorola Launches Droid

Dear Readers

Motorola has launched new Handset Droid on Verizon Wireless CDMA handset with Android OS and with great features Check this URL for further details:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-DROID-US-EN.alt

If this handset can be used on Reliance, nothing like it. It has alomost all the iphone features inbuit.

Regards

Jignesh Shah

Let us hope reliance brings it here...!! :)

Any information about the price or approx. price

$199 with 2 yr contract at verizon... lol...

(This is just a guess... I dont have its source)

199$ for 2 yr contract with verizon

around 550$ without contract

on best buy i think its 99$ with 2 yr contract

its expensive now , but with time prices will go down

also soon it will be cracked for reliance as well

people who don wanna wait can have a taste of cdma hero , buy sprint htc hero , it works fully on reliance

Droid’s a worthy rival for iPhone

When it comes to reviewing new smartphones, I’ve got a real problem.

I’m an iPhone owner, and one who has come to believe, as I’ve written before, that Apple’s smartphone is the most important piece of personal technology released in this decade. When looking at competing products, for me the bar is set very, very high.

But after spending time with Motorola’s Droid, an Android OS-based smartphone offered by Verizon, I believe I’ve found the closest contender yet.

The Droid is easily the best smartphone offered by Verizon, and definitely the best Android phone so far. If you’re a Verizon customer who’s been thinking about jumping ship to get an iPhone on AT&T’s network, this device may keep you in the fold.

The Droid, which sells for $199 after a $100 rebate and with the usual two-year contract, is an important phone for both Verizon and Motorola. Although Verizon’s network is generally considered superior to that of AT&T’s, it has been criticized for its poor selection of smartphones. And Motorola has fallen on hard times since its heyday of the Razr. Both need the Droid to be a big success.

And from what I’ve seen, it should be.

The Droid is an appealing device, though not as stylish or sleek as the iPhone. It’s slightly thicker, narrower and longer than the iPhone, as well as a little heavier. It feels more substantial, less fragile, probably because it’s squared off and blocky, while the iPhone tapers to its edges. A friend described the Droid’s look as “industrial,” and that fits.

The phone has a virtual and a physical keyboard, which slides horizontally from underneath the device. The physical keys are very flat, with a firm feel. It might be easier to type on them if they were a bit more raised.

I have not been impressed with the virtual keyboards on other Android phones, but this one is much improved. This may have to do with the large display on the Droid, which allows for larger onscreen keys. My typing accuracy was much better with the Droid’s virtual keyboard, and interestingly, I preferred using it over the physical one.

And speaking of the screen — it is absolutely gorgeous. It’s slightly bigger diagonally than the iPhone’s — 3.7 inches, compared to 3.5 — and has a higher resolution at 480 by 854 pixels. The result is impressively sharp and detailed text and images. It makes reading even the smallest text easier.

The Android 2.0 interface isn’t that different from earlier versions.

There’s a customizable home screen with a tab that, when tapped, slides up to show all your available applications. You can download thousands of apps — both free and paid — from the Android Market. The Droid comes with a slew of them, including messaging, a photo gallery, voice dialer, a YouTube player and a Facebook client.

There are, unfortunately, two separate e-mail and calendar clients — one for Gmail and its calendar, and another for other e-mail and corporate calendars. The latter two apps support Microsoft Exchange mail. There should be just one e-mail and one calendar app.

The Web browser loads pages quickly but doesn’t always display them accurately, and the fact that it won’t let you pinch-and-zoom to expand smaller areas or images is a drawback.

As with most smartphones, the Droid has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. It comes with 16 gigabytes of memory, and an SD-card slot so you can add more. Unlike the iPhone, the battery is removable.

I turned “push” mail on — so messages appeared in the phone’s inboxes automatically — and left both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on. With occasional Web surfing and a few phone calls per day, I got about 36 hours between charges, about the same as my iPhone 3G with push e-mail turned off.

It has a 5-megapixel camera, but I wasn’t impressed with the still image quality. The auto-focus feature doesn’t work very well. However, the video it takes is excellent.

This phone also has GPS capabilities, and it’s paired with what I think is the phone’s most important feature: free, turn-by-turn directions married to the Google Maps application. On other phones, a service like this requires a monthly fee, and Google offering it gratis will seriously disrupt the GPS business.

By working with Google Maps, you can turn on satellite view while you drive, seeing real-world terrain instead of cartoonish maps. The app switches to Street View when you approach your destination, so you can actually eyeball it. However, it’s not always accurate. On one trip, it told me I had “arrived at my destination on the right,” when the building I wanted was on the left side of the street (and Street View was showing it correctly). Ooops.

The Droid is one of the smartest smartphones you can buy, and if you’re a Verizon customer who’s had iPhone envy, this phone should put a stop to that.

While I can’t see giving up my iPhone for the Droid, in some ways it’s the better phone. Certainly, it’s available on a better network.

Droid has been always pitched against Iphone right from conceptualization.

Hope it lives up to its expectation.

source :: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/6712385.html

i m tired of all these iphone comparisons

y cant people accept a phone without comparing it to iphone

if one wants iphone go get it

if one wants android go get it

Dear Friends

It's universal to compare phones across platforms. While comparing with iphone, has become like a barometer. Apple has always kept the standards high in whatever they do. With the launch of iphone, companies followed the suit and a whole new market is created with more and more features to experience. Ultimately any phone we buy, it settles on our experience and it varies from user to user. The experience of iphone has been above the ordinary and so the comparison is worth it.

While the biggest drawback of CDMA network in India is the Handset range that is available for use. With few choices and Reliance being dumping Cheap China Handsets, its bound for people to hunt for better solutions and that's the basic rule of evolution.

Droid has been designed by keeping iPhone and to get somewhat similar to iphone but not iphone. Its With thw Apple that if they decide to launch iPhone for CDMA network than see how the market will respond.

The future is becoming more and more complex rather simplifying. We are in a rat race which is never going to end. So till then enjoy the comparison and soar new heights by raising the standards higher & higher.

Just Chill

Jignesh

:signthankspin:

Put your fingers cross that very soon we can use the Droid on CDMA Network in India.

When can it be expected in Sadik's stable?

yes sadik bhai can u get this ?

lol

getting the handset is not an issue

cracking it for reliance is where the problem lies

its been rooted though

i am getting Sprint Hero soon... motos are always pain in a**... even Moto razr particular hardware to intrude in..

If u want Android... go with Hero.. people using it swear by it... :)

Me and HP on it ASAP... check my facebook fanpage for more details..

^

arre bhaiya, main bhi hero par aa raha hoo.... aur mere khyal se doc muf bhi... android ki jai ho....

btw Sprint Hero is one of the most beautiful (though too perfect hence drab) phones around; its more beautiful than the gsm hero, all kinks are gone, battery upped to 1500mah from 1350; newer processor, bigger trackball, better button layout, nice chrome surrounds.....

it does many things better than the iphone like your public network life on facebook, gmail, twitter, gtalk etc. and in some iphone excels like video playback; but overall if you are into google (like most of us are now) then android is the only way forward.... its almost killed pre, iphone to go.....

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

way to go android... :)

Where does one buy hero from ?

contact saddik

motos are always pain in a**... even Moto razr particular hardware to intrude in..

dont worry , i know few guys who r on it , and it will be cracked for sure

though hero is better , but motodroid is by far the best android device launched

:Contento::clap: nice to hear WM fanatics rave on android. >:-) LOL

^

kya karein yaar... tumne itna brainwash jo kar diya... lol...

lets hope we r not disappointed once we lay our hands onto the device; also these bloody NUC must go to fully enjoy such always on data phones...

Edited by dkaile

motos are always pain in a**... even Moto razr particular hardware to intrude in..

dont worry , i know few guys who r on it , and it will be cracked for sure

though hero is better , but motodroid is by far the best android device launched

Waiting for it, I will get it once it is unlocked for Reliance along with Data. Sadik bhai, are you working on it?

Atleast I will never go for Motorola.

thats understandable, after all the **it moto has given us over the last few years.... but this is a big change for the company... maybe android will save moto...

I dont think even android will be able to save moto.... it would have saved if moto was the only company offering android... but now we have so many doing the same with much better build quality, better looks, etc... like HTC...

Let me say, its all about peoples perceived value towards moto which might make a turnaround....