Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
AGK

How Reliable Is Sms Delivery Report?

I sent a sms to my friend's airtel number from my reliance CDMA mobile. Immediately i got the delivery report saying that the sms has been delivered successfully.But my friend says he hasn't received the message.Is it possible? How reliable is sms delivery report? Iam using LG 6600 handset.

^^^

it may happen, even receiver person may lie you never know.

but sms delivery report are 99% correct

^^^

it may happen, even receiver person may lie you never know.

but sms delivery report are 99% correct

99.9%

:previous: in cdma not

I sent a sms to my friend's airtel number from my reliance CDMA mobile. Immediately i got the delivery report saying that the sms has been delivered successfully.But my friend says he hasn't received the message.Is it possible? How reliable is sms delivery report? Iam using LG 6600 handset.

Have experienced this myself when I was on RCDMA... but its rare. Nobody can say for sure if the recipient is lying... or if he deleted the SMS inadvertently or something, unless seen with own eyes. But then a similar incident has never happened on any of the GSM phones I'v used. For this and other reasons, I have my doubts about Reliance. In any case RCDMA is fraught with all kinds of problems when it comes to texting, so the suspicion is very valid, IMO.

Also, Reliance was generating and sending delivery reports the moment an SMS touched their servers... and not when it reached the recipient's phone. I don't know if they still do it... but if they are doing it, then you know what that means... But have never heard of Airtel doing this, so its probably unlikely in your case.

Edited by raccoon

i have also alost everytime received correct report

^^^

due to network problem sms delivery problem happen ,

Some time in RCDMA i get message sending failed, but message get delivered

It is 99% accurate in cdma as per my experience. And the network problem with sms delivery has drastically reduced since the time it cropped up after the introduction of these new sms packs. Things are looking quite streamlined in the sms front now...

yes you can rely on SMS delivery report. generally delivery report comes when it is delivered to the user.

dont get confused with info that you get immediately when SMS is sent. delivery report is different and you get it only when it is delivered to the recipient.

Reliable nowadays with both RGSM and RCDMA atleast 99.9%

As per standards SMS delivery report is generated upon delivery to receiver system. However in order to avoid congestion, many networks do not accept message for queue if mobile is out of coverage or not connected. So reliabilitydepends on implementation of receiver system rather than technology

Thank you very much for all your replies.

To test the reliability of sms delivery report, yesterday I sent 3 sms to my Tata indicom which was switched off. Even though my Tata indicm was switched off I received delivery report immediately for all the 3 messages saying messages have been delivered successfully.After sometime I switched on my Tata indicom mobile and out of 3 sms i sent i received only one.I haven't received the other 2 messages till now that is even after 17 hours.

I also sent 1 sms each to my airtel and RCDMA which were both switched off but this time i din't receive any delivery report.

So IMHO sms delivery reports are mostly accurate but not always.

Edited by AGK

All these SMS glitches I'v experienced only when RCom phones were involved. Can't recall any issues with other operators, till date (don't know about Tata). 

I presume the fault to lie with TATA Indicom and not with RCOM because when AGK sent to Airtel and RCDMA, the delivery report did not come until they were switched on.

I also sent 1 sms each to my airtel and RCDMA which were both switched off but this time i din't receive any delivery report.

Do you mean you never received delivery reports or do you mean you did not receive while the receiving phones were switched on, and you did receive them once they were switched on?

Seems like Tata Indicom is also going the RCom way of generating delivery reports the moment SMSs get delivered to their network instead of the subscriber's phone?    :angry:

NO

TATA and Rcom both give delivery report only when it is delivered , this is tried and tested by me.

if phone is switched off report will not come,

only due to network problem 1% error is there.

Not just Reliance even in my Airtel I have this problem. Even when my RCDMA number is switched off and I send a SMS from my AIrtel, I immediately get a delivery report. I think there is a problem between Reliance and Airtel regarding this. Inspite of complaining to both nothing has improved.

With my RCDMA, so far I have got all my delivery reports correctly

I think there is a problem between Reliance and Airtel regarding this.

airtel and reliance are fighting for long.. dont know the reason, but there is always problem when these two are involved. whether you are making call or sending SMS. you will find really amazing problems. though recently reduced, still...

The problem is bound to occur more if u send sms frm CDMA to GSM or vice-versa.

Quite unreliable. Let me illustrate

1. My daughter was returning from the UK. Flight was late. So I sent her an sms (her Airtel lifetime number)hoping that by the ack I will know when the flight has landed. Delivery & Ack next day. I was quite surprised when she called, and we know.

2. She had a Tata Indicom in Delhi - acks never came.

3. My son has a Reliance (CDMA) in Manipal. Mail gets delivered fast, acks may take an hour.

4. Reliance - BSNL totally random (I have both)

So again, whatever the reasons are, according to all the experiences mentioned here, there seem to be issues with texting when one (sender or recipient) of the phones is CDMA. In my personal experience too, I'v never had any issue between GSM-GSM texting. Introduce a CDMA inbetween, and things suddenly become unreliable. Really wonder why this is so... 

previous.gif

I think with the CDMA-GSM SMS, the delivery report is delivered as soon as the sms reaches the other server.

As if u r sending a sms from Airtel to TATA, the delivery report is recived at Airtel as soon as the sms is logged in TATAs server

In RCDMA , delivery report is generated only when it is actually delivered to the subscriber. In GSM it is generated when it is delivered to the server of the recipient operator

Do you mean you never received delivery reports or do you mean you did not receive while the receiving phones were switched on, and you did receive them once they were switched on?

Seems like Tata Indicom is also going the RCom way of generating delivery reports the moment SMSs get delivered to their network instead of the subscriber's phone?    :angry:

I sent 1 sms each to my airtel and RCDMA which were both switched off but this time i din't receive any delivery report and when I switched on those phones i received delivery report immediately .Also received messages on my airtel and RCDMA