Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
drali

Image Quality of DSLR vs Compact Camera

I Just want to know that if I shoot a portrait with a DSLR and with a compact camera under normal day light(no studio lights).Will there be any major or profound difference in image quality.

Is that difference in quality is noticeable by a lay man?

I know that DSLR has bigger sensor and good lenses but does that make a major diff in image quality( portrait or close up photos in normal lights)

I am asking this as I am planning to buy a DSLR just to take more sharper pics (mostly closeups) of my kids.

Right now using canon powershot A720IS and satisfied by its overall performance.

Which is the cheapest DSLR that suits my need?

I Just want to know that if I shoot a portrait with a DSLR and with a compact camera under normal day light(no studio lights).Will there be any major or profound difference in image quality.

Is that difference in quality is noticeable by a lay man? No Not noticeable by a lay man if the digital camera you use is with good spec and good lense

I know that DSLR has bigger sensor and good lenses but does that make a major diff in image quality( portrait or close up photos in normal lights) Again no in normal lights for a good digital camera

I am asking this as I am planning to buy a DSLR just to take more sharper pics (mostly closeups) of my kids. If you are not a professional grade photographer and just an average user needing to have qood quality photos and closeups, any good spec digital camera from a top brand will do the job and no need to spend higher amounts on DSLR

Right now using canon powershot A720IS and satisfied by its overall performance.

Which is the cheapest DSLR that suits my need? Can't say about that but if you need an excellent digital camera at a mouth watering price, look here in this post http://www.rimweb.in...post__p__205421

Could have supported all my answers with various links, data and what not? But if the exact use which you outlined is the case, no need to spend huge amounts on DSLR's. With advancements in Technology, today's Digital Camera's are up for the job. This is like a debate which raged in early nineties for reliability and performance between SCSI Hard Drives and SATA. See where SCSI Hard Drives today. It is already dead and even in Servers you find SATA Hard Disks good enough for the job. Example is not entirely related but you can understand what i am trying to Say. Technology advancement has broken many age old notions and beliefs which many of us generally still hold true. DSLR in your particular usage scenario will be more of a style statement and ego booster at a huge cost rather than offering any real world tangible benefits compared to a good spec digital camera..

Edited by rajanmehta

Is that difference in quality is noticeable by a lay man?

I know that DSLR has bigger sensor and good lenses but does that make a major diff in image quality( portrait or close up photos in normal lights)

I am asking this as I am planning to buy a DSLR just to take more sharper pics (mostly closeups) of my kids.

Which is the cheapest DSLR that suits my need?

The picture quality will be any day better better with a DSLR whatever be situation.

You will know the difference once you use it. But do you need it? Unless you are a pro carrying and handling a DSLR will become a nuisance.

There is something in between. DSLR LIKE CAMERAS. Almost all leading companies have such models. I have Nikon L100 with 15x zoom. Though not like P&S cameras, they have all the features - well almost- of a DSLR and less bulky.

The main advantage is the price. You will get them in the range of 15k to 25k with reasonably powerful zoom like 15x to 26x. With such powerful lens close ups will be excellent.

There are some disadvantages in such cameras. You should master the technique and only you will be able to get good picture. What I mean to say is not just any body can use it.

I would suggest Nikon P90 with 24x zoom. Update: P100 is also available.

Edited by thilak.kmb

Thanks rajan & thilak

Still I am confused ,My canon has 6x optical zoom and I feel that is sufficient for taking closeups in a room.Does more optical zoom(20X) make the quality of pics better?

What my primary need is to take studio like pics at home.Do I have to arrange some lighting instruments for that?

can any 1 post some images(portrait,closeup) taken by both the cameras under same normal conditions(no special light apps).

I searched the net but cudnt find any such comparison of images by two cameras.

Read this exhaustive and clearly explained article for Optical vs. Digital Zoom http://www.photoxels...l-digital-zoom/ .

Better lighting in addition to Camera's flash will always give you better pictures as all studio like photographs you see have additional and focused lighting. When you see beautiful pimple in all its glory on an actress face with photo taken by someone like Gautam Rajadyaksh, it is due to focused lighting.

Rajan Thanks for sharing this, otherwise i would have unnecessarily spend on DSLR

Photo quality depends on ccd / cmos area and lense area. Hence compact camara with larger cmos or ccd and larger lense area may give adequete quality. There is no comparision between compact and slr though.

Only optical zoom is not sufficient. Compact cameras give flat picture, with DSLRs a photo can have depth of field. By controlling shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity, exposure time among other things DSLR can create magic. For a potrait, DSLR can make a subject stand out of its surroundings, which is not possible with compact cameras. The CCD size of a DSLR is much bigger than that of a compact camera, hence with same mega pixels, its image quality is much better.

I'm attaching a few snaps that I took recently on my Nikon D90 with 18-105mm VR lens. Just check the quality of the pics, the depth of field, the vividness. Then decide.

P.S.

I could not upload the original pics, they were more than 3MB of size. The quality is just amazing, but I cannot share here. The upload limit is the limiting factor.

post-28928-013946000 1287919561_thumb.jp

post-28928-093365700 1287919600_thumb.jp

post-28928-080978300 1287919638_thumb.jp

post-28928-017384600 1287919661_thumb.jp

post-28928-016139200 1287919680_thumb.jp

post-28928-089687800 1287919697_thumb.jp

post-28928-000425600 1287919712_thumb.jp

Edited by sougatadc

Thi one is intresting buddy

I forgot the DSLR Compact debate and enjoyed the stunning image of that cute girl's expressive joyous emotion captured at the very right moment. :clap:

Heck we all get so messed up in debating things technology threadbare forgetting that human beings are still analogue creatures in this digital world.

http://en.wikipedia....atic_aberration

Chromatic Aberration is the Worrying factor in Point and Shoot

Once i was in Sanctury and Seen a Peacock is Dancing mood i Click using Point and Shoot with High zoom and same with DSLR with High Zoom, point and shoot had worst Aberration so ultimately i have to drop that pics.

Hish ISO Range

DSLR have good ISO range for Night Shoots, Point and Shoot Cams Calims ISO too 12000 but have worst noise compared to DSRL

High Quality Optics

DSLR have wide Choice to choose from

Battery

DSLR have Better Battery

Have Used Sony DSLR Nikon

but now a Days Canon is my Favorite, using 550 with 18-105 but heading to Mark II System Next year

I am a Geek Hobbyist nothing else

I think the point here is also not about whether DSLR is superior or not to Compact. Yes they are and perhaps will always be. Honda will be better than Maruti, BMW will be even better than Honda and may be an Alfa Romeo will top the list. The primary function of all will be to transport people from place a to place b. The important rational point is the context of use, budget of the buyer, technical expertize to utilize the full functions of the gadget etc.

Generally in all such debates the geeks will prove the superiority of the costly product (and yes they are superior) and a normal budget buyer will sheepishly stand in a corner feeling, Oh My God, I am missing the best things in life and will go ahead and spend needlessly without realising that his purpose could well have been served well with a less cost product.

@sougatadc

Nice pics ,u seems to be a expert but my only question is if i take a pic(same object & same room light) with DSLR and with Compact one,will the difference will be quite obvious or not?My only need is to take studio like pics at home.

can any one post such images(same object & same room light) taken by two cameras?

thanx

Thi one is intresting buddy

Thanks Parin.

I forgot the DSLR Compact debate and enjoyed the stunning image of that cute girl's expressive joyous emotion captured at the very right moment. :clap:

Heck we all get so messed up in debating things technology threadbare forgetting that human beings are still analogue creatures in this digital world.

Rajan, that cute girl is my beloved niece.

I just uploaded a few assorted snaps (The CST station-Mumbai, Utsav Chowk-Kharghar-Navi Mumbai (a long exposure), My pet cat-Pingley, A farmer, Butterfly in the rice field near our locality etc to show how different moods can be captured on a DSLR. After all a picture says thousand words.

Edited by sougatadc

definitely DSLR is better than compact.

Dslr has large CMOS sensor which give better quality with best sharpness..

DSLR has a good lens which helps in better zooming and quality.

Battery consumption is less in DSLR so u can take more pics once it is charged.

DSLR has more ISO SPEED settings which give better Quality in low light also.

MAIN Difference..

in digital photography u must have noticed that white is extra white.

so if u take a pic who has worn white shirt the details of shirt is lost in compact cameras whereas in DSLR u can get details

conclusion :

for minute details and exact color DSLR is suggested.

u can opt for CANON D1000 which u can get it for Rs. 23000/- and D550 for Rs. 50000/-

i again say EAST or WEST, CANON is the BEST..

EAST or WEST, CANON is the BEST.

:previous: Simply a personal opinion. One shouldn't influence others like this.

Everybody's missing the point of the original poster. He just needs to take indoor pix of his family and that's it!

My suggestion would be to probably ask a friend of yours who has a DSLR to drop by at home and take a certain set of pix and you could shoot the same frames with your point and shoot. Have a look at both outputs after proper post editing using Photoshop (people generally dont realise how much more value good post production work can do for a picture)or any other good photo editing software and see if you feel the need to take the plunge for a more expensive camera or not.

Additionally, instead of going all out for a DSLR, you could settle for the Prosumer series of cameras which are the intermediate range between a high end DSLR and the basic Point and click variety. The Prosumer category of cameras usually start of anywhere from 8 megapixel upwards and with a minimum Optical Zoom of 15x. One thing to take note of is to make sure the Prosumer ( or super zoom , as they are sometimes called) shouldn't have barrel distortion when zooming in for long shots. Reading up a few magazines or sites like dpreview.com will help you take a firm decision once you decide for a change in camera from your present one.

For your current requirements I don't think the investment in a DSLR is required, and even other wise a good prosumer camera should be enough, since they all come with good presets for portrait and indoor photography these days.

My suggestion would be to probably ask a friend of yours who has a DSLR to drop by at home and take a certain set of pix and you could shoot the same frames with your point and shoot.

This is what that I want to experiment with but non of my friend is using dslr thats why I am requesting here to post the pics(comparison).

I think my Canon A720IS (8MP,6X optical zoom)is a Prosumer one with all the Prog mode-Shutter speed,aperture size,exposure,Iso all can be adjusted.

:previous:

Get hold of a professional photographer (Many marriage photographer do have DSLR) and ask him to shoot pics of your kids and you shooting at the same time with your current camera.

This comparison will give you the perfect idea rather than anyone posting pics as every picture will be different.

^^^ You would need a DSLR and another (Point and shoot or Prosumer) to take exact same pictures for you to be able to judge the difference between the two and especially indoors,as that will be your main field of photography. There's no point in looking at pictures shot on DSLR and pictures shot on Prosumer of a different subject.

Most of todays cameras have a lot more quality, as rajan stated and a little tweaking in post production can do wonders to most pictures shot even with a Prosumer or a good Point & shoot.

:signthankspin: thanks anupe & rajan, will try to follow your guideline. Cud you guys suggest the cheapest Dslr?

what about NIKON D3000( in term of features).

More than looking for the cheapest DSLR, I think you should first fix a budget range you're comfortable with and then look at both DSLR and Prosumer brands that fall within that price range. Among DSLRs the ruling kings are Canon and Nikon while the Prosumer category have some very good cameras by Panasonic Lumix, Olympus and Fuji. The Panasonic Lumix uses Leica lenses and is pretty awesome as far as picture quality goes in the prosumer range, especially their DMC-FZ 28. Google up a few reviews and compare. But first try and finalise a budget you're willing to spend.

Good luck! :)

I have a Canon S5 IS - http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_s5_is/index.aspx

which i have hardly used and is lying in brand new condition with box and all accessories, if you are interested.... I can dispose off....

It features stereophonic video recording, 12x optical zoom, 8MP, digic III, features external flash port too (besides an inbuilt flash); so best for prosumers wishing to upgrade to slr's...

s5is02001.jpg

its Features are almost same as that of my canon A720IS except zoom (6X Vs 12X).

I agree to Madhav , Canon is the best .....

I myself use Canon 550D.