Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kesav

MTS To launch 14.7 Mbps - EVDO Rev.B

MTS to offer 14.7 Mbps speeds through CDMA dongles

MTS, the mobile telephony services brand of Sistema Shyam TeleServices (SSTL), plans to upgrade its network to EVDO Rev B platform. This new technology is an advancement over the currently deployed Rev A.

With this new platform, MTS will be able to offer speeds of up to 14.7 Mbps. Currently, the CDMA operator offers speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps through its Rev A network in 84 cities.

The company, however, declined to give a specific timeline on the upgrade.

Leonid Musatov, chief marketing officer, Sistema Shyam Teleservices Ltd (SSTL), said, "We certainly plan to migrate from Rev A to Rev B; but due to strategic reasons we would not be able to share a definite migration timeline."

He added, "MTS would like to extend MBlaze to 100 cities by the year end. We intend to cover 20 per cent of the data subscribers' market share by 2012."

MTS has 2.5 lakh data subscribers using its MBlaze service (CDMA dongles). It offers MBlaze at speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps in 84 major cities across India.

Leonid Musatov said, "The Wireless broadband data market is still relatively small, but is growing at an extremely fast pace. Given this context, MTS is clearly one of the major players and leader in the prepaid segment within the Indian mobile broadband market."

Data subscribers are a very sought after segment as they bring very high ARPU (average revenue per user). For the mobile broadband industry, blended ARPUs (prepaid and postpaid), are generally about Rs 700.

This is why 3G auctions garnered such a high price. Tata Teleservices, which also offers CDMA based high speed data services, has tried the Rev B platform and announced that it too will upgrade its network.

source :: http://telecomyatra.afaqs.com/news/?sid=2314_MTS+to+offer+14.7+Mbps+speeds+through+CDMA+dongles

Kudos to MTS

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MTS is the only operator to have clear roadmap of 3G progress on CDMA highway.

:previous: I second that. They seems to have chalked out plans for CDMA expansion in India. Maybe they are able to think clearly as they dont have GSM in their head (taking a dig at Rel, Tata)

i will definately go for MTS after MNP

NOTE THAT REL & TATA ARE TWO BIG BUSINESS HOUSE IN INDIA & TEY WONT LET ANYONE TO EAT INTO THEIR REVENUE

SO I OPPOSE WHAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOVE(POST #3)

For 14.7 MBPS they will need 3 x 1.25 Mhz Slot, Rev B Hardware card and Software Upgrade, and Of Course 86xx MSM Chipset based Multimode Rev B Modem which is still not Available

For 1.25 x 3 = 4.5 mhz they have to pay Rs 18000 crore for PAN INDIA compared to GSM Auction Price,

I have not seen Single Modem, Dongle or Phone having Rev B Multimode Chipset

MTS already has 2*2.5 MHz of start-up spectrum and they'll get till 2*5 MHz contractual obligation spectrum without any extra fee.

They're going to use only 2G spectrum for 3G operations so no worry for them on spectrum cost.

Regarding handsets and modems, they might have already worked out the plan. Anyway Rev.B is already live in Indonesia, a country which has similar user profile and per capita income like India. so MTS can leverage that experience and ecosystem.

Edited by kesav

Let me see first upto 10MBps.

then will think of multimode.

Atleast we can say MTS is having first mover advantages in EVDO in many cities with rev A , then Rev B

:clap: to MTS... MNP ke baad and once MTS launching here in Rajkot, Im going for it.. :)

slightly offtopic

MTS is no different, on voice calls they have with drawn 1/2 paise /sec offer here in T.N..

so make the hay while sun shines...

Testing has no value unless they launch services. World wide rev A has stabilized now. Still long way to go for rev B. Rev B is atleat year and half away. By then LTE might be a big road block for GSM and CDMA growth till the time they too reach to unpaired spectrum standards.

slightly offtopic

MTS is no different, on voice calls they have with drawn 1/2 paise /sec offer here in T.N..

so make the hay while sun shines...

As long as india remains prepaid inclined, operators will be as loyal as customers.

Brothers if i get EVDO (Super Fast Mail Express Train) as compared to 1x(Passenger Train) i will be more than happy. Yeh EVDO 'B' (Bullet Train) se abhi muje kya lena dena!!! :winko:

been told they tested Rev.B @ 7.2 Mbps...

But their board differs on Rev.b and LTE..

industry is watching reliance Industries all india Wimax/LTE plan closely..

only after that they will roll out next big things IMHO..

Reliance industries pan india rollout only on data is threat to existing Carriers.. so all are mum and watching..

also good-to-know told by very senior MTS officer that Russian government is pumping funds in MTS India..

so its cool.. Investment is not at all an issue for em..

MTS already has 2*2.5 MHz of start-up spectrum and they'll get till 2*5 MHz contractual obligation spectrum without any extra fee.

They're going to use only 2G spectrum for 3G operations so no worry for them on spectrum cost.

Regarding handsets and modems, they might have already worked out the plan. Anyway Rev.B is already live in Indonesia, a country which has similar user profile and per capita income like India. so MTS can leverage that experience and ecosystem.

Indonesia's user profile has increased considerably. World Bank's report in Oct'10 shows that 8.7% of Indonesian population uses internet against India's 5.1%; mobile phone users comprise 69.2% of Indonesian population while that figure is 43.8% for India. Moreover, Indonesia's current per capita income is three-fold compared to that of India.

You will be astonished to know that per capita income of India is even less than that of Bangladesh and that of Sri Lanka.

Edited by sougatadc

Please Dont write 2x2.5

Cuase Upload is never calculated

if you get 5 mhz means 5x2 Upload and Down FDMA policy in Coupled Allocation

anyway MTS have 4.5 mhz (Upload and Download) now 4.5 means 1.25 x 3 = Single 1.25 Spectrum can be used in Tower and other 2 Slot in other Overlapping Tower. and this is CDMA 1x Band for EVDO they are only allowed 1.25 mhz for EVDO TATA and Reliance have applied to refram their 1x and use 1.25 from 1x to EVDO to make

1.25 x 2 = Dual EVDO Band

STILL THERE IS NO HARDWARE CAPABLE for REV B OPERATION = THIS IS CLEAR

WRONG = Becuase EVDO = Evolution Data Only, only capable of carrying IP Traffic and no Voice Trafic, No CDMA Operator can offer Voice if they dont have 1x. EVDO is only Addon Module for High Speed Data. 1x is already 3G enabled for VOICE only thing is it can not carry Faster Data so EVDO came in Picture

Remember 1x is already earned 3G Efficiency for Voice but due to it inability to carry faster Data its termed as 2G

IF MTS use its 2G Spectrum only in EVDO they can never offer VOICE Communication that means Initial Spectrum they have on basis of Voice users have to be surrendered

Thanks Hetal for coming in and clearing the picture with correct technical details.

Please keep doing so for the sake of community as we all look forward to get the correct perspective from the person who knows most about this technical things.

Thanks again.

Dear Hetal,

Let me put the things in correct perspective.

No Rev. B hardware is wrong since Rev. B is already live in Indonesia with Smart Telecom and in Pakistan with PTCL.

On the spectrum side,

For easy understanding, we can dicard "2*" because since we're talking about downlink in particular although frequency allocation for all FDD technologies happens in "2*" mode.

CDMA frequencies are allocated carrier wise. Each carrier is 1.25 MHz. Initial allocation starts with 2 carriers i.e 2.5 MHz and then one carrier will be added depending on increase in subscriber base. Hence it'll be 2.5 then 3.75 then 5 and so on. As per current allocation methodology, each CDMA operator is contractually permitted to receive till 5 MHz without any additional charge.

At 5 MHz, the operator has 4 carriers in hand. so he can use one carrier for voice and the rest for data. If the voice subscriber number is high he can use 2 carrier for voice and 2 carrier for data. On 2-carrier data EVDO Rev.B can give 7.2 Mbps and on 3-carrier data EVDO Rev. B can give 14.7 Mbps.

Hope it clarifies....

Means 1 Carrier for 1x and 3 Carrier fro EVDO. thats looks okay about then there wil be high Congesion rate in 1x and yes overlapping of Carrier in near field tower will high so they have to make Focaled Tapping which will create high Black spot, why Goverment give least 5 mhz to CDMA and 6.25 to GSM is simple they require atleast 2 to 3 carrier for getting rid of overlapping, and serving all Voice users without a single drop. Nobody can afford to drop called due to congestion and overlapping as fas as voice is concerned. DATA dropage is okay but Voice is high priority service.

Currently EVDO Spectrum is overlapped between the toiwer so they kept the ocverage very much focaled and due to that there are high black spot in EVDO coverage now a days.

ALL CDMA operator have asked government to refarm their own 1x allocation and use single 1x channel for EVDO for self use but i think they have got approval for only another single Carrier slot. Lets see. I will be very very happy to see 14.6 and my point is not argue with you. Good to know that. yes Rev B Hardware is there on Carrier all TATA Reliance and MTS can be upgraded to Rev B only by Software patch and I got confirmation that Reliance is already Rev B capable now we only want multimod modem to use that.

Again another Technical point. MTS, Reliance and TATA all have Simple IP PPP authentication that means using Multimode modem will require Mobile IP Authentication and HA and AAA Shared Secret data. so may be MTS will come with Mobile IP based Multimode modem.

I completely agree with overlapping issue but we've to live with it till actual 3G CDMA spectrum in 1900 MHz is auctioned by Govt. Telecom minister is pursuing that matter seriously. Let us hope for the best.

I always love to learn from each other and your posts are generally embedded with tech stuffs and I learn lot from it.

I must add here that Kesav's amazing knowledge of Indian Telecom Sector, Technicals and willingness to share the same with all of us is really praiseworthy.

And more so his humble and friendly approach.

Keep it up. All of this makes RIMWEB what it is.

1900 mhz is not fun as far as coverage and quality is concern. Sprint s example.

China telecom offer only data service in china based on EVDO.

So MTS can follow it's path

in a rational world, the big companies would keep adding features to keep pace with their competitors

but a recent case in point is the 'shared wi-fi' for broadband that tata has offered to connect multiple laptops to a single usb dongle

this makes a lot of sense for 'SOHO' type users [small office / home office]

but its unlikely rcom will launch a similar feature anytime soon

maybe they think very few customers will opt for it

but waiting for your competitors to succeed before copying them is a sure fire way to lose market share

NOTE THAT REL & TATA ARE TWO BIG BUSINESS HOUSE IN INDIA & TEY WONT LET ANYONE TO EAT INTO THEIR REVENUE

SO I OPPOSE WHAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOVE(POST #3)