Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rahulmalik_81

BlackBerry 9650 - Upgraded to OS 6!

Hi everybody I am starting this topic to share my experience about upgrading BB 9650 with the latest OS 6 from verizon.

1 I used 6.0.0.431 downloaded from verizon or u can find on crackberry also.

2. This is important coz before upgrading to os 6 one has to upgrade the os to 5.0.0.1006 using upgrade option on the device. Its just a pre upgrade version for OS 6

3. After updating to 5.0.0.1006 I had to also update DM to version 6.

4. Backed up my data, wiped the device with BBSAK(for clean install) and loaded the os 6 with DM

5. It took about an hour to upgrade the device and restore the backup

Now the good part

I just loved the new os. It transformed my BB into a whole new device.Social feeds is great app and the new browser is just awesome.never saw a bb browser so fast.Ringtones in the new os are also louder than os 5

PS: There is a problem in browsing if you are on vodafone bis,but there is a workaround,if anybody need can post here.

Thanks Rahul, I am trying to upgrade by 9650 to OS 6 now.

Will post if any problem.

The browsing problem you mentioned - would it be there on Reliance CDMA BES also ?

It's with the service books,if reliance has updated it's service books for os 6 then there shouldn't be any problem.

When I delete vendor.xml and then run loader.exe it checks the usual things and gives this error:

"No Disk in drive. Please insert disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR3"

I have 2 OS 6 versions downloaded (1 sprint, 1 verizon) .466 and .431Both have this error.

Any idea what this is ?

Also, I want to know if i will lose my BES activation after upgrading to OS 6 ?

Is there any way to find out the SPC for 9650 ? (i think it won't have any old OS versions which can be used with CDWS).

Just install ur os 6 file on pc and try upgrading..

should go easy..

Sorry, my fault. I selected 'India' while installing OS 6 files to PC (don't know why). Re-installed with default selected option 'USA' and then usual procedure and its got OS 6 now !

Reactivated BES since it was showing 'no enterprise activations' (though emails were still coming) and everything is working. With 1XEV icon now (was 1X earlier - don"t know if its due to OS or back end though)

OS 6 is really nice - though one has to get used to it. Some things are different.

Thanks Everyone

Edited by ami1

Where do i get apps for BB OS 6 ? - apart from the app world that is.

have you been able to use bis over wifi? I'm looking for a solution there.

I am on bbep899 plan (bes) and i can browse and get gmail over wifi but not office lotus notes emails and neither does the bb app world work over wifi.

actually i was looking for crck'd apps like the ones in the forum posts on 8830 etc - most of them don't work on OS 6 so i have only official free or purchased apps.

I am on bbep899 plan (bes) and i can browse and get gmail over wifi but not office lotus notes emails and neither does the bb app world work over wifi.

Are you aware of the service book name or something then I can try and have it activated. I'm not on BES. I'm on BIS.

actually i was looking for crck'd apps like the ones in the forum posts on 8830 etc - most of them don't work on OS 6 so i have only official free or purchased apps.

To use BIS over wifi i think it has to be enabled by the operator. From what i found out most operators around the world block it.

Can someone tell me if I'll be billed for data use on laptop (ie in tethered mode) if I am on unlimited BES 899 plan (bbep899) ?

If you are with Airtel.

Only 2 GB is free as tethering!

If you are with Airtel.

Only 2 GB is free as tethering!

Am on Reliance (CDMA). Can't find any details on their site for this thing

Also, how do i unlock this for other gsm operators ? Its reliance official 9650 - i understand it will only work with reliance gsm ( apart from reliance CDMA that is.)

Buy MEP code, will cost just 50-60 rs on ebay.com.

Thanks Sumit. Found one for $5.

Another query: I have a GSM prepaid sim - if i put it in the phone i can't browse. Do i need to do *228 or set any APN etc for browsing ? Just want to check 3G speeds on RGSM.

Thanks Sumit. Found one for $5.

Another query: I have a GSM prepaid sim - if i put it in the phone i can't browse. Do i need to do *228 or set any APN etc for browsing ? Just want to check 3G speeds on RGSM.

For GSM, you will have to update the APN settings, *228 iis for CDMA.

Is the blackberry 9650 officially available on RCDMA? I can't see that handset on their website !!!!!!!!!!

Its listed in software download section for reliance. when it will be launched officially, don't know that.

Its officially launched, but webworlds are yet to get stocks. You can get it at other big dealers like Top 10 in andheri w (near station) etc. Or from Sadik also.

The box etc has reliance printed on it and the phone has a reliance bootup logo and bes/bis are activated by reliance

Its hard to say, some may even laugh but ive decided to downgrade from os6 to os5.

Reason, lately my phone is a bit laggy and battery backup has just become horrible. tried everything like battery pull but it works ok for few days but after that its just hell.

Vodafone browser issue is also there, there is a workaround but it also sticks for few hours

^ My experience has been quite good with OS 6. No lag etc except once when i had installed a few crappy apps (uppidy, car finder & another one i can't remember). Removed them and it was as fast as ever. I am on 443 but going to try King's hybrid this weekend.

Anyone knows how to enter proxy settings for Reliance GSM use ? (just want to try 3G speeds) I can see the APN settings but can't find any place to enter proxy settings.

Its hard to say, some may even laugh but ive decided to downgrade from os6 to os5.

Reason, lately my phone is a bit laggy and battery backup has just become horrible. tried everything like battery pull but it works ok for few days but after that its just hell.

Vodafone browser issue is also there, there is a workaround but it also sticks for few hours

Do alt +lglg. Clear the log. Reboot your phone. What apps have yu installed. If you're not using some reove them. This would free memory.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Is the blackberry 9650 officially available on RCDMA? I can't see that handset on their website !!!!!!!!!!

Its listed now. See this link