Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
amicable

Switching To Reliance GSM from CDMA

Hello RimWebians,

I got a call today from reliance asking if I wish to convert my RCDMA to RGSM. If I am interested than they will send representative to my home to collect the documents and it will be transferred in 3-4 days.

I found it interesting, as it will avoid hassles of doing rounds of webworlds :)

I was anyways planning to shift to GSM mainly because of handset concerns.

However, I would like to know opinion of RGSM users here.

- How is the RGSM network in Pune.

- I frequently travel to mumbai and gujarat, so would like to know the network quality in these places as well.

- Will it be roaming when in mumbai? my RCDMA isnt and dont want RGSM to be roaming as well.

- I am also keeping an option of Idea, but the only issue is that roaming gets activated when in mumbai :(

- My STD calls are high, so which would be preferrable? Idea, RGSM?

- Last, inputs other than these queries are also welcome.

Thanks.

previous.gif Dude, it seems you are new here. Please go thru other threads to know about the pathetic state of RGSM in most circles. Here in Poona, within city, voice clarity is bad most of the time, even if coverage is there. In building coverage is anyway poor. Outside city, coverage is zero at way many places where other operators have coverage. I have no hesitation to say that you will regret your decision if you go with RGSM. Airtel too is worth avoiding.

Idea has a very good nework in Poona and in-building coverage is possibly the best, but recently even Idea network has been giving problems. This however is likely to be temporary. Tariffs, roaming, data charges may however be a deal breaker.

I would suggest you look at Uninor which has very good voice clarity. MTS could also be an option, and you could consider buying a CDMA handset from sellers here.

Edited by raccoon

Hello RimWebians,

I got a call today from reliance asking if I wish to convert my RCDMA to RGSM. If I am interested than they will send representative to my home to collect the documents and it will be transferred in 3-4 days.

Thanks.

You can definately consider doing that if you believe that renouncing US Citizenship and taking Afghanistan Citizenship is a WISE thing to do...

Simple... If you don't have any major problem in R-CDMA... Stick to it...

• Like 1

i would suggest dont go in for reliance gsm .

their network is worst

• Like 1

I second the views expressed here.. GSM is indeed a hassle free technology (now I didnt say better!) nonetheless it will be wiser to wait for some more time before shifting as their network and operations are yet to mature.

I am thinking, how come reliance people themselves are wanting customers to opt for their GSM network and 'boycott' their CDMA network??

• Like 1

@Greatest; They are nuts! Also, for good performance indoors (esp.in multi-storey building) a strong case can be made in favour of 900MHz in preference to 1800/1900 MHz. I was talking to a dealer and he is much happier with CDMA than with any GSM. with this herd like rush to GSM from CDMA performance will only get better. You can get the best of the CDMA phones here from the guru's at a very good price. These are MEID registered, so are official Reliance as far as the user is concerned.

@kunal,

They may be thinking of switching off CDMA some time down the line.

RGSM in Pune is bad if not worst. Coverage is low and even if you get coverage the voice clarity is, I think, the worst I have ever experienced. In Gujarat, at least in Ahmedabad the the network and call quality is better than in Pune. Not sure about Mumbai.

But I agree with your view that once on GSM, you have plenty choices on handsets and freedom from RCDMA's costly data prepositions. But for that matter you can switch to any operator. Vodafone is the best network in Pune.

One question : When they contacted you, which plan they offered you ? Will/can you retain the plan that you have on CDMA ?

I am stuck with RCDMA because of 440unlimited plan. I too have similar type of usage like you. In case, if the RGSM network improves in Pune (atleast there is some network inside my flat), and if they allow me to keep the same plan, then in future, I may think of switching to it.

I am thinking, how come reliance people themselves are wanting customers to opt for their GSM network and 'boycott' their CDMA network??

@kunal,

They may be thinking of switching off CDMA some time down the line.

:NO:

Perhaps they want people to switch for two reasons:

1. Free up capacity on CDMA for higher paying Netconnect+ customers.
  2. Fill up underutilized RGSM capacity.

So overall a logical move by Rcom. But whether you should choose it depends on your particular usage pattern. If you're intent on switching to GSM, also consider other GSM operators. As far as coverage goes - Cellone, Idea and Vodafone have the best highway/rural coverage in Maharashtra in my experience. But if you intend to spend most time inside cities then Uninor and Docomo could be good (cheap) alternatives.

previous.gif Cellone/Excel may have amongst the best highway coverage, but voice clarity can be really pathetic. What is funny is that despite being on 900 MHz, their inter-city and indoor coverage too is below par.

As for RCom trying to shift subscribers to GSM for whatever reason, seems to me that it will backfire. A customer who is used to their CDMA network for voice will be going from good to the worst, will find it intolerable and after shifting to RGSM after having invested in a GSM handset, he will just be forced to port out to a better (all are better than RGSM, BSNL and AirHELL) GSM operator.

Edited by raccoon

I can see many CDMA fans here wanting me to re-think on my decision :) I will check for CDMA handset options in the forum before moving out of CDMA.

By switching to GSM, I know I have to compromise on the voice quality. CDMA is the best in that front. However, I find CDMA a bit costlier. I am currently using Nokia 6265 which might breathe its last breath anytime soon. Though good, I didn't find it worth the money, not to mention its too heavy & bulky to carry and so is the case with almost every CDMA handset.

I would better go for another operator than RGSM. I am considering for now Idea and Vodafone, though not limited to just these two, I do not have much idea( ? ) about Uninor or DOCOMO. May be I can experiment thanks to MNP :) How good are their plans for postpaid customers?

previous.gif Have mentioned this before, but since you may not have been thru other threads arguing this issue - my 1st connx. was RCDMA and I have never felt I have compromised on voice clarity when I moved to GSM. But it also depends on the operator. In you go for Airtel/BSNL/RGSM, you will be frustrated. But if you try Idea/Uninor/Docomo you may even find voice clarity better if not same when compared to RCDMA. But yes, in building coverage may be compromised if you go for 1800 MHz operators like Docomo/Uninor/Aircel. But then you are compensated by better tariffs. But really, your actual experiences will depend on specific locations.

@raccoon; One more point, if you go BSNL then pray every day since in case of a problem only God may be able to help.

previous.gif That goes without saying. GirandoOjos.gif But the good thing about BSNL besides highway/rural coverage is that there hardly seem to be any cases of cheating (balance vanishing/VAS activations/etc).

BSNL customer care + service = :unexp::unsure: